Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Nothing, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
WOW!! I was getting mixed messages before I started this thread, no I am really at a fork in the road. I already have a friction bar for sway now, and it seems to work OK, But as most all of you know, that system only works after the trailer is already in sway mode, and only tries to dampen the sway, not control it. Where having a system like a Reese cam system from what I have been reading does a great at controlling it to begin with. I really never had that much of a question as to if I really needed a WD in my mind, it was more of having a far better sway system. With all that said, from what I understand if the WD is not setup with enough chain weight, meaning tong weight, and the system won’t work correctly to begin with. So I guess I’ll just have to make a decision to either spend the additional $500.00 of just keep what I have.
Thanks all for all your thoughts!!
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
What does the ride in the back of an AS have to do with weight distribution OR sway?
Riding in theback of he trailer, will tell you "many" things about the weight distribution and sway control that your using.

If not totally "thumbs up" you will certainly feel a sway at the rear of the trailer, that you cannot and will not necessarily feel in the drivers seat.

Try it, as I did during testing, many years ago.

You won't be wasting any time, since the rig is still going down the road.

But, you just might just find and experiene something to think about.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Nothing, jim
Jim.

Try it.

Then see if you still would say "nothing".

The longer the trailer, the more it wants to move back and forth, while in tow.

Just a fact.

That's why proper load equalizing and sway control, is an absolute "MUST".

Andy
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #45
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
But wouldnt a good sway bar reduce or eliminate that "sway"? I dont see how weight distribution stops sway in any way
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
But wouldnt a good sway bar reduce or eliminate that "sway"? I dont see how weight distribution stops sway in any way
Here's a couple ways.

1. many sway control systems rely on the weight distribution force to cause the friction force to be great enough to control sway.

2. insufficient weight distribution can cause the front axle load to be light enough to cause unstable steering and thus induce sway.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The sole purpose of my suggestion, is for folks to find out, exactly how the rig handles.

Unless a person rides in the back end of the trailer, they can only guess how it's handling.

It costs absolutey nothing to get that information.Try it, and see if your opinion remains the same.

Opinions are just that, they are not facts or works of Physics.

Subjecting one's self to that very minor test, can provide a world of information, up to and including, "my rig handles great", or OH OH !!.

Andy
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #48
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
But a 1 ton truck with air bags isnt gonna sag. At all. Which means the front will not lift off the ground any causing steering problems
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
But a 1 ton truck with air bags isnt gonna sag. At all. Which means the front will not lift off the ground any causing steering problems
True, but that truck will not stop a trailer "sway", in spite of it's size.

Andy
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
I'm am not argueing with you. You asked a question. I answered it. Your question was very general in nature. It said nothing about applying to the truck in this thread. Either you did not asked the question you wanted to ask or you just like to argue. In either case I'm tired of trying to help you learn about something you apparently already know all about.

Ken
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #51
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Whos arguing? Im stating my side of the story, i.e. why weight distribution isnt important on a heavy duty truck, and your stating your side, i.e. it is needed no matter the vehicle. Im not trying to start an argument, nor do I wish to argue. It makes for a forum with bad reputation. Been there done that...

Sorry if my posts seem blunt...

Heres where I stand and is TOTALLY opinionated: a 3/4 ton truck does not NEED a WDH, but will suggest an anti-sway bar. Ill quit posting in this thread and let the OP decide if he needs a WDH or not. Bottom line: its his decision
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Quote:

.................................................. .............................
and your stating your side, i.e. it is needed no matter the vehicle.
Sorry if my posts seem blunt...
You will not find any place on these forums, let alone in this thread where I stated that. That is not what I think. I think it is up to each person to hitch as they see fit. If they ask for advice, I will give it. I don't give a rat's behind whether they take it or not. However it offends me when someone asks a question, I take the trouble to answer, and then they argue with or distort the answer. Your posts do not seem blunt, they seem inflexible and closed minded. This is what a blunt post looks like.

Ken
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
This subject comes up a lot and often ends up in arguments, in as much as you can argue in this medium.

I'm biased because my tow vehicle wouldn't work without weight distribution and I wouldn't tow my Airstream without sway control, even with a different TV. But, if you know anything about weight distribution you'll know that the towing experience can only benefit from having a correctly set up hitch and weight distributing system, whatever flavour of system you prefer. The physics are quite simple; hang 1000lbs from your hitch and you are exerting a load on the rear of the tow vehicle. It matters not how big and beefy your TV is, the load is there and WILL affect how the vehicle works, to a lesser or greater degree. Add that weight distribution system and the 1000lb load is shared around a bit; some to the front axle, some on the rear axle and some to the trailer axle(s). The load is spread more evenly and will allow the TV and the trailer to behave more consistently.

I'll agree that some TVs deal with a large load on their rear axles better than others, but there can't be a situation where a properly rigged weight distribution DOESN'T improve the performance of the TV and the trailer. With that in mind, why wouldn't you use weight distribution?

As for sway control, again it doesn't matter what size TV you use, trailer sway can and will occur unless you take steps to do something about it; sway is governed by lots of disparate forces acting on the trailer and won't be countered by a heavy TV alone. Indeed, even the biggest of TVs can be flipped by seemingly meek and mild trailers once that sway gets out of control. Anti-sway systems are cheap and easy to fit so again I'd ask, why NOT use one when all it can do is enhance towing performance?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man
Wow, Big misconception. I have air bags in my Sequoia and can put enough air in them to where it won't sag when hooked up. But the weight is still there and I need to distribute it. Same with a one ton. Just because the rear doesn't go down doesn't mean the weight isn't there.

Also the Anderson hitch sway will work with just the chains snug. And it works better than a friction sway bar.

In the end it's up to you the original OP. if your feel comfortable and safe with what you have then go with it. If you want to have every angle and situation covered? Get a WD with sway control.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Excellent thread.
I have a 1972 Argosy 20' and my TV is a 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Honda does not recommend using a WD hitch on the Ridgeline. I've only towed the Argosy once since picking it up - about 160 miles on I-5. No issues whatsoever. The truck is rated to handle a 600lb tongue weight, but I've got the Argosy down to 350lbs on the tongue. I bought this trailer because, among other things, of the weight as I'm not getting rid of my Ridgeline. I'll probably add a sway bar at some point, but right now I'm going for a new axle and shocks. I'll tow it carefully a few times as I decide what's next.
I've towed many small trailers over the years, never with a WD hitch, occasionally with a sway bar. In my opinion, if properly loaded and you're not in a huge hurry to get to your destination, and you are safely under the weight limits on your tow vehicle a WD is a waste of money - again I'm talking small trailers here.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Excellent thread.
I have a 1972 Argosy 20' and my TV is a 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Honda does not recommend using a WD hitch on the Ridgeline. I've only towed the Argosy once since picking it up - about 160 miles on I-5. No issues whatsoever. The truck is rated to handle a 600lb tongue weight, but I've got the Argosy down to 350lbs on the tongue. I bought this trailer because, among other things, of the weight as I'm not getting rid of my Ridgeline. I'll probably add a sway bar at some point, but right now I'm going for a new axle and shocks. I'll tow it carefully a few times as I decide what's next.
I've towed many small trailers over the years, never with a WD hitch, occasionally with a sway bar. In my opinion, if properly loaded and you're not in a huge hurry to get to your destination, and you are safely under the weight limits on your tow vehicle a WD is a waste of money - again I'm talking small trailers here.
Not true.

I had the task of taking care of the claim for a total loss of a 17 foot Caravel, many years ago.

The trailer flipped the 1/2 ton truck and killed the 2 grand parents.

Safety, cannot and should not ever be ignored.

Using a load equalizing hitch offers a safety factor, that some day you may regret not having.

Hitches, trailers and vehicles are replacable.

You life and your passengers lives, are not.

Not trying to be harsh, just factual.

Andy
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
So, what part of my previous post is "not true"?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
You stated that a weight distribution hitch, [b]"is a waste of money".

Andy
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #59
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
A 20 foot trailer is "small".

Andy
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Please don't take my statement out of context. I said " In my opinion, if properly loaded and you're not in a huge hurry to get to your destination, and you are safely under the weight limits on your tow vehicle a WD is a waste of money - again I'm talking small trailers here"

So that's my opinion. You may disagree, and that's fine, but this thread only goes to prove that there is little if any empirical evidence to the contrary, only opinions, including yours.