Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That statement is pretty much totally wrong. Weight distribution's purpose is to return at least some of the weight that was removed from the front axle by the placing of weight behind the rear axle. This is done to restore the steering characteristics of the vehicle to as close to normal as possible. Placing weight on a trailer hitch is not at all the same as placing weight in the bed of a truck.

Furthermore, placing more tongue weight on the truck hitch than it is rated for with the expectation that the weight distribution will return it to a safe range is just plain foolish.

Ken
Methinks you are saying the same thing only different
How do you correct the weight distribution and correct steering characteristics except by adding more weight to the front end?
3600 lbs on the ball? Ok that's an exageration. My bad.
Bet he could put a ton on the ball of his dualy.
Not gonna argue about it though.
I tow a Lot with my 2500 HD Chevy. Hauled a 10K trailer home from the lake yesterday.
I will just reiterate what I said in my first post.
WD on a dualy with a 3600 lb trailer is silly.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

Hi, yes; Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chains hold the tri-angle bracket that is pinned to the bottom of the ball, which makes the ball rotate with the trailer, and not in the coupler.
Yes they do but like you say, they don't have to be to tight, but cannot hand lose.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #31
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
From what Im readin, the purpose of a WD hitch is to prevent the weight frm bein lifted off the front tires causing poor handling. Heres where Im at with that statement:

2001 6.6L Duramax Engine Weight: 840 lbs
Hitch Weight WITH Water: 610 lbs

Not to mention, like said earlier, that trucks are notoriously front biased. Engine weight, cab weight, plus the driver and all that doesnt equal the weight of the bed.

I already know what you guys are gonna say... the engine is cradled between the frame and not on a fulcrum like the hitch. But to counter-act that statement, he says he doesnt have to haul water in the tank. That brings the hitch weight down to less than half of the weight on the front of the truck by far
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Most of us tend to think of weight distribution and sway control as being one product, regarding Airstream travel trailers.

So to debate about whether an oversized truck needs weight distribution or not is a waste of time. The question is really about whether a 3600# trailer can sway and get out of control, and whether sway control can help prevent that from happening.

Conditions that cause trailer sway (too high speed, trailer wanting to go faster than truck downhill, uneven roadways, poorly distributed or shifted trailer load, wind gusts, etc.) are independent of the tow truck, and may happen all at once (dam the bad luck). Will the oversized truck lose control of a wildly swaying 3600# trailer? Would a weight distribution/sway control hitch decrease the chance of losing control?

doug k
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Something to read

Here is a good article on weight distribution and Sway control.

Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

I does not however cover Hensley ProPride and PullRite, I am guessing because they don't sell them.

Trailer Sway Control by Hensley

Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.

PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

Ken
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Most of us tend to think of weight distribution and sway control as being one product, regarding Airstream travel trailers.

So to debate about whether an oversized truck needs weight distribution or not is a waste of time. The question is really about whether a 3600# trailer can sway and get out of control, and whether sway control can help prevent that from happening.

doug k
Doug,
Well said.
But just a reminder; The original poster was talking about weight distribution and not sway control.
In addition to the things you mentioned excessive sway can also be caused by under inflated tires, a bent axle and a spring that is out of alignment.
Still, when towing a 3600 lb trailer with a truck that weighs probably twice that amount sway is not going to be such a big issue as it would be with a lighter tow vehicle.
I personally wouldn't worry about it.
I would however consider what Andy from Inland RV said about having such a stiff suspension on the tow vehicle.
I can imagine the beating a fragile camper could take from all that pounding.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

My F250 with an 1100 pound diesel engine weighs 8000 pounds fully road-ready.

My trailer weighs 6000 pounds with a tongue weight of 800 pounds. My hitch is rated 1000 pounds straight and 1200 pounds weight-distribution.

I have pulled this trailer from coast-to-coast without weight distribution, no problems at all. I do use two friction sway bars.

I recently have also added a front hitch on which I carry about 150 pounds of miscellaneous tools and stuff in a locked box. This adds to the effect of my front-heavy rig.

I also have a Grade V Air Safe hitch to keep the trailer from being beaten to death on our rough roads and my stiff suspension.

Given my experience, I don't think the OP needs weight distribution.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
My F250 with an 1100 pound diesel engine weighs 8000 pounds fully road-ready.

My trailer weighs 6000 pounds with a tongue weight of 800 pounds. My hitch is rated 1000 pounds straight and 1200 pounds weight-distribution.

I have pulled this trailer from coast-to-coast without weight distribution, no problems at all. I do use two friction sway bars.

I recently have also added a front hitch on which I carry about 150 pounds of miscellaneous tools and stuff in a locked box. This adds to the effect of my front-heavy rig.

I also have a Grade V Air Safe hitch to keep the trailer from being beaten to death on our rough roads and my stiff suspension.

Given my experience, I don't think the OP needs weight distribution.
The trailer can also "beat itself" to death, if the rubber rods in the axles have deteriorated.

Andy
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^^ I dont think a WD hitch would fix that lol
Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #38
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We pull our 25' Trade Wind with our F250 Crew Cab 4x4 w/o either weight distribution or anti-sway. I have fitted rear air lifts to allow me to tune the ball height when carrying weight in the bed.

This tows very nicely; my wife and son share the driving w/o difficulties. There are no signs of problems with too stiff a ride, although rough roads do cause the usual disarray.

The truck weighs 7000+ lbs empty. The trailer is 4500 lbs w/ water IIRC, w/ 500 lbs tongue weight.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
We pull our 25' Trade Wind with our F250 Crew Cab 4x4 w/o either weight distribution or anti-sway. I have fitted rear air lifts to allow me to tune the ball height when carrying weight in the bed.

This tows very nicely; my wife and son share the driving w/o difficulties. There are no signs of problems with too stiff a ride, although rough roads do cause the usual disarray.

The truck weighs 7000+ lbs empty. The trailer is 4500 lbs w/ water IIRC, w/ 500 lbs tongue weight.

- Bart
Bart.

The truck is not the question, or under test.

How well the truck may handle, is secondary.

Try riding in the very back of the trailer at 60 mph, for a couple of minutes.

If that ride is great, then you have it made.

But, I think you will find a new way to be thinking about how the "total" rig handles.

Andy
Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #40
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
What does the ride in the back of an AS have to do with weight distribution OR sway?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Nothing, jim
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
WOW!! I was getting mixed messages before I started this thread, no I am really at a fork in the road. I already have a friction bar for sway now, and it seems to work OK, But as most all of you know, that system only works after the trailer is already in sway mode, and only tries to dampen the sway, not control it. Where having a system like a Reese cam system from what I have been reading does a great at controlling it to begin with. I really never had that much of a question as to if I really needed a WD in my mind, it was more of having a far better sway system. With all that said, from what I understand if the WD is not setup with enough chain weight, meaning tong weight, and the system wonít work correctly to begin with. So I guess Iíll just have to make a decision to either spend the additional $500.00 of just keep what I have.
Thanks all for all your thoughts!!