Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Getting an AS from Austin, TX to NM

My current truck is rated to 3500# but I'm looking at getting a 4500# trailer. The AS is in Austin Texas, I'm in southern New Mexico, so I'm looking into options to get it back here just in the short run. Despite the fact that it seems like 80% of vehicles on the road here are full size pickups, It turns out that I don't actually have any friends with one. It seems like none of the car rental companies will specify that the vehicle can tow (it may be able to, but I need to do better than hope.)

So far, it seems like my options are to find someone and pay them to pick it up in Austin and drive it here (650 miles) or possibly, fly to austin, rent a mid sized UHaul/Budget moving truck with trailer hitch, and use that to pull the AS back.

So, is there anyone in Austin interested in towing to the Las Cruces, NM area? How much would you charge?

Second, any comments on the moving truck idea? Is it a good or bad idea?

Third, are there other possibilities I should look into?

thanks,

Geof
abruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
What about renting a 3/4 ton p/u with a receiver hitch and driving there to pick it up ? I did that when I didn't have a p/u to get my convertible back to my house on a car trailer. I am thinkin that the rental truck idea (u haul) would cost more than hiring a reputable towing co. to pick it up. The rental pick up cost me a lot less then the box van route. OOrrr, you could just buy your new tow vehicle now !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
What about renting a 3/4 ton p/u with a receiver hitch and driving there to pick it up ? I did that when I didn't have a p/u to get my convertible back to my house on a car trailer. I am thinkin that the rental truck idea (u haul) would cost more than hiring a reputable towing co. to pick it up. The rental pick up cost me a lot less then the box van route. OOrrr, you could just buy your new tow vehicle now !
I havent found anywhere that will rent a full size p/u with a reciever hitch. Or at least they wont tell me it has the hitch (towing isn't supported.)

The uhaul idea would cost about $500 plus gas.

Geof
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Check with UHAUL. They rented me a panel truck, plus a trailer to put my car on. they may let you tow a travel trailer with one.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You might check into renting a Passenger Van and pulling the A/S with it. I don't see many pickups for rent , but there are many places renting vans. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Wink Speak up

Which model AS is the purchase? Tandem or sgl axle? Trailer length is??

Is the seller not willing to bring it out for a price?

Are you sure the trailer is road worthy yet?

Check with a "Hotshot" delivery company in Austin or San Antonio. (used for industrial and oil field quick hauls).

Forget U-Haul and ck with some of the car / truck rentals who have a commercial division such as Hertz, and the other one that slips my mind. (yellow trucks).

Get one of the many good guys in Austin to check it over for you.

Trying to remeber if I-10 out to El Paso is all flat land (relatively speaking).
Probably not.

Keep us posted.
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Yellow trucks = Penske, I forgot about them. They have a good selection of trucks that are well maintained.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Also, depending on your timing you might be able to find a professional trailer delivery driver/serivce that is headed east/west without a unit attached and have them deliver it to you. With gas prices these days it makes sense for both of you. I don't have any recommendations off the top of my head on who to contact about this but I do know that these services have posted here and are also listed elsewhere.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Which model AS is the purchase? Tandem or sgl axle? Trailer length is??
'74 Overlander

Quote:
Is the seller not willing to bring it out for a price?

Are you sure the trailer is road worthy yet?
no and yes

Quote:
Trying to remeber if I-10 out to El Paso is all flat land (relatively speaking).
Probably not.
Well, it's a 650 mile trip from about 1000 to 4000 feet above sea level. There is one peak at 5000, but otherwise very gradual.

Geof
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #10

The only problem with renting a truck is that it will not have a brake control.
Tech98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech98
The only problem with renting a truck is that it will not have a brake control.
One of the reasons I was looking at a uhaul/ryder was I read elsewhere that the size of the truck would make the trailer brakes significantly less necessary. Is this false? Remember that this is a one time drive, i.e. getting it home. If I need to drive 50 the whole way, I'm prepared to do it. I even considered using my land cruiser, and staying off the interstate. West Texas has lots of flat, straight, minimally trafficed state routes.

Geof
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Curious

I am in the Austin area. Been looking at many AS. This one sounds like it is coming from south of us. If so, did it originate to the seller from New Mexico? Again just curious.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote