Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
How much did your MPG increase?
How much do they cost? I wonder if you are pulling an AS? I wonder if it owuld make as much difference because of the rounded shape of the AS?
Answers;

#1. Averaged about four miles per gallon in savings.

#2. I did get a good buy on mine back in 19 and 78, around 2 hundred dollars. As we all know, prices have increased since. Yes and I would agree as well that turbo diesel powered trucks are the way to go for TV's, however, for your particular application I could not see you wanting to spend an average of over $30,ooo. and s'more for your immediate towing needs. Wise?

#3. God, I wish that I could have pulled an AirStream! They were always soooo eye catching to me as I traveled around this world of ours!!
I only got to Settle for an old 46' Magic Carpet, and a few underlings, an 28' Travel-Mate was among.

The Experts have preceded, and will fallow...

My photo album; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...e=22&ppuser=83
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Been reading all the above and my luck this string is about done.. But wanted to add this last comment.

Front wind area and head wind is the number 1 fuel eater.. One of the main reasons I got rid of my SOB 5th wheel as it stuck WAY up in the air,, and all the square corners just made that problem even worst. (thanks Wally)

The other thing I have noticed now that I have a live on the go MPG meter in my new pu is this,, and I'm talking an area with 1 stop light in over 900 sq miles so I don't need to stop very often..

Any time one is on the brakes,,, you are wasting the same amount of fuel as if you were standing on the fuel peddle too the floor.. Just by coasting to a intersection and only using the brakes to stop the roll at a walking speed I can add 3 mpg over all with a tank of fuel.. Never been the type to use brakes much anyway,, but never knew that it could make that much difference..

I understand folks that live in urban areas cant get away with this like I can out in the middle of no where.. But its dynamic difference.. Huge !!!
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Any time one is on the brakes,,, you are wasting the same amount of fuel as if you were standing on the fuel peddle too the floor.. Just by coasting to a intersection and only using the brakes to stop the roll at a walking speed I can add 3 mpg over all with a tank of fuel.. Never been the type to use brakes much anyway,, but never knew that it could make that much difference..

I understand folks that live in urban areas cant get away with this like I can out in the middle of no where.. But its dynamic difference.. Huge !!!

The rule is: Never stop, and never idle. Closer we come to that in practice (safety being foremost, long vehicle life the second) the better the fuel mileage.

I can run around town driving sloppily and running the engine longer for A/C on hot days. And on another, do all to maximize mpg. Over thousands of miles of each the difference between the two is

22%

That can buy a whole bunch of RV travel fuel if I can cut my annual solo bill.

More simply said, if

I drive fewer miles more skillfully

(yet accomplish the same ends)

I can have enough in fuel savings compared to old bad habits to underwrite thousands of free towing miles from the same fuel budget.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1
I pull with a 2004 Ford 150 5.4 liter and currently get 9 to 12 mpg pulling a 25 footer AS. Any one know how much better it might be moving to say a 22 footer around 3200lbs instead of the 4300lbs I now pull?
I pulled a 18 ' ultra light trailer and was lucky to get 11 mpg towing with my 1/2 ton Silverado 5.3. Now we tow our 28' Safari which easily weighs more than twice what the ultra light weighs, and get 11 -13 using the same vehicle.
Its the shape of the trailer with respect to wind resistance that makes the most difference not the weight. My speed with both trailers was about 62 - 65, occaisonally higher. So, I dont think downsizing will make enough difference to even notice and you will give up a lot of room. I didnt really want a 28 footer but now that we have it, i wouldnt want a smaller one.