Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by minddr View Post
I am told the fuse for the power jack is a 30 amp slow blow glass fuse. I cannot find one anywhere, including stores, Amazon, or any internet merchant. Is there such a fuse? I can find fast blow fuses in this category, but no slow blow.
If you have a 2016, you may have an Atwood jack instead of a Barker. Barker may use a special fuse. My 2016 has an Atwood and I took the fuse out it is a standard 30 amp glass fuse, not a slow blow. Check yours and see.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I installed a 30 amp self re-setting circuit breaker on my tongue jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I don't like self resetting fuzes, as blowing fuze and auto reset could cause further damage to item connected to.

Hi, it's not a fuse; It's a circuit breaker with the same rating as the fuse, so it won't / can't cause any damage. I have been using these since the early 70's as a Lincoln - Mercury mechanic and never had a problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
We had the exact problem on our 2017 Classic. The ground wire was attached to a screw with some paint on it. We just scraped off the paint, reattached the ground wire and it has worked perfectly ever since. So I'd check the ground wire. You need to fully remove the cover to do so but it's a 10 minute fix if that's the problem. Hope it helps

Change = Opportunity
eawotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Try Ace hardware for fuses.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #25
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
MDL 30 is the designation to ask a NAPA clerk. They will never find slow blow fuses or delay fuses on the computer. Technically, MDL are fine for DC.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I installed a 30 amp self re-setting circuit breaker on my tongue jack.
Had to replace a tongue jack on my car trailer recently and found that the vast majority on the market are Chinese. I too use a 30 amp reset fuse. However, it doesn't make any difference how it's grounded or fused, the motors are crap. Be sure you understand how to use the crank to raise and lower your trailer before leaving home.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Had to replace a tongue jack on my car trailer recently and found that the vast majority on the market are Chinese. I too use a 30 amp reset fuse. However, it doesn't make any difference how it's grounded or fused, the motors are crap. Be sure you understand how to use the crank to raise and lower your trailer before leaving home.

Hi, when my tongue jack failed, on the opposite side of the country, I was glad that I had a bottle jack with me to get un-hitched, so I could go buy another one. [tongue jack]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Seminole , Florida
One last thought- If you change the design of your electrical system (AKA, using different components than originally installed) make sure that you know the potential consequences. Voltage ratings determine whether the fuse or CB can safely open the circuit at the specified current and time. DC ratings will always be much lower than AC. If not rated for DC?????

The length of the time delay on either fuses or CBs is important and must be coordinated with the protection ahead of it in the circuit, because you can potentially cause a fire in the wiring ahead of "your protection".

From my personal experience, CBs are never as reliable as fuses. They are mechanically activated devices. Large CBs are controlled electronically and yet they still protect the CB with fuses.

In the end, if you guess wrong and have a fire, it will be between you and the insurance company experts to decide whether you guessed right.

IMO Never guess.
GandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
If you have a Barker Jack, call them they'd be glad to send some. NAPA has them, although my 2X5 packs were next day. Seems it cost me about $7 per pack...kinda doesn't matter tho.

other sources are in this thread...as well as a discussion re conversion to the blade type which are easier to find.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1795027

and
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-MDL3.../dp/B00139MFXM

they may look different than the OEM's

Bob

I just went to three auto parts stores trying to find a 30 amp slow burn fuse for the Barker hi-power 3000 lift jack on my 2012 flying cloud 27 fb and could not find one. When I called Barker, they were very gracious and agreed to send me some fuses for free. They said that in the interim I should use a 40 amp glass fuse, not a 30 amp standard glass fuse.

I post this to echo the sentiments of Bob, above, and to confirm that Barker is still providing this kind support as of June 2017
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote