Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
front mount trailor hitches and bike racks

Sorry if this is repetitive. I have been searching this forum about front mounted trailor hitches that I can mount a factory bike rack on. We have a 27' Eddie Bauer. I found the Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers (Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275), but have seen mixed reviews about how if might work with my trailor with the propane tanks, sway bar mounts, etc. worried if there is enough room. I saw a Canadian brand mentioned that looked perhaps better, but can't seem to find it again. If anyone has advice or opinions, but let me know.

Rivet in PA.

Thanks
rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
if your looking for the Canadian model here is a link.

Travel-Trailers

Andy at Canam RV also sells this kind modified to fit on the back of the AS I believe. Take a look at his web site if you want to go that route.

I'm also interested in this rack and am considering getting it for the front rather than the back since I already find the rear fold down door on my Classic to be in the way when I'm trying to get things out of the rear hatch. But I'm hesitant since I don't want to loose opening my front window.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
here is an online company which sells on both sides of the border.

Arvika Airstream Travel Trailer Bracket - 7000 Series - Black - www.racksforcars.com
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
Thanks, Arvika is who I was looking for. Not sure the $100 above the etrailor equivalent rack price is worth it, but I will likely let you know.
rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
Put a receiver hitch on the front of your TV and insert a bike rack. Works great and you'll know it, for sure, if the bikes fall off! The receiver is also useful for a step installation for working under the hood, etc. Less expensive than the AS mounted racks as well. Just throwing it out there for you ...
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipad View Post
Put a receiver hitch on the front of your TV and insert a bike rack. Works great and you'll know it, for sure, if the bikes fall off! The receiver is also useful for a step installation for working under the hood, etc. Less expensive than the AS mounted racks as well. Just throwing it out there for you ...
This is the most logical solution I have found to date! Thanks!

I bought and returned a Stromberg Carlson rack. It was heavy and required another bike rack anyway, since what it basically does is provide a receiver hitch above the LP tanks. The whole thing got kind of tall, and the tanks and hitch compounded the loading of the bikes. That, and I was concened about crushing my expensive carbon bikes against the Expedition while backing and turning.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Moscow , Idaho
After my Fiamma rack failed (not tough enough for electric bikes) I had a receiver mounted on the front of my F150. Will use Thule T2 rack for two electric bikes. Heading out tomorrow for a one month adventure. Will report back on how this set up works!
Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Debbie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
+1 for the front mounted hitch. See the pic and read my post.

Labor Day Trip | CasaRodante - Our House on Wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-21_1027.png
Views:	327
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	243568  
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
With a bike rack on front, does it interfere with your headlights when driving at night?

Thanks.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead59 View Post
With a bike rack on front, does it interfere with your headlights when driving at night?

Thanks.
I installed a front mount trailer hitch and put the bike rack on the front. I removed the seats from the bikes for three reasons. 1). To protect the seats from bugs, road rash, and weather. 2). To ensure that they did not block the head lights. I also use the driving light that are factory installed below the front bumper to make sure I have sufficient lighting. 3). To make sure my field of view/vision is not obstructed. So far, it's worked well and not loss of MPG's. Good luck.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
2005 22' International CCD
Red Deer , Alberta
Another option

I had the rear mount Fiamma on our last Airstream which worked fine for light bikes. Our mountain bikes were approaching its limit.

Had the front hitch on a previous truck. If you place the bikes carefully you can avoid most of the headlight interference. Some people say its blocks too much of the radiator intake but I have never had any overheating issues.

Our best bike solution is on our new airstream where we use a pickup tailgate pad. Simple and can hold four bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thule_truck_600.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	243572  
Mangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
The front receiver hitch plan is not exactly cheap when looking at an F-250 Super Duty. $450 for the receiver, $ 200 for the bike rack, throw away factory fog lights and $ 800 worth of Westin stainless grill guard. The rear mount Fiamma rack seems to be the only game in town in our case.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #13

Chico , California
Roof-top rack (and a step stool) is pretty easy unless the bikes are too heavy.
pmagnusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #14

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
The front receiver hitch plan is not exactly cheap when looking at an F-250 Super Duty. $450 for the receiver, $ 200 for the bike rack, throw away factory fog lights and $ 800 worth of Westin stainless grill guard. The rear mount Fiamma rack seems to be the only game in town in our case.
Curt hitches on EBay are going for about $150, might be able to keep grill guard and lights from the look of it.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Curt hitches on EBay are going for about $150, might be able to keep grill guard and lights from the look of it.

I have the same truck and the Curt hitch. I use a Thule rack and have had no problems.

I do remove the seats from the bikes (usually do anyway, regardless of where they are mounted) and made some plugs to put in the frames to keep the rain and road grit out. They do block the headlights just a tad but not to a degree that is concerning. As mentioned, thoughtful placement on the bike rack can help eliminate the loss of luminance.

With thousands of miles this way, I don't even notice they're out there. If you get off on dirt roads, the bikes don't get as dusty on the front as they do on the back. Another plus: if they fall off, you'll be the first to know!
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
[QUOTE=rivet;1653933]Sorry if this is repetitive. I have been searching this forum about front mounted trailor hitches that I can mount a factory bike rack on. We have a 27' Eddie Bauer. I found the Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers (Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275), but have seen mixed reviews about how if might work with my trailor with the propane tanks, sway bar mounts, etc. worried if there is enough room. I saw a Canadian brand mentioned that looked perhaps better, but can't seem to find it again. If anyone has advice or opinions, but let me know.

Rivet in PA.

Thanks[/QUOTE
We opted for a bike rack mounted on the back of our 23' International Serenity.
I am happy with the rack in back as I needn't worry about backing up into the camping spaces we seem to find ourselves using. it may be the bikes on a front mounted rack would be "out of the way" when making a near 90 degree turn backing up. With the bikes mounted in the back of the trailer there is no question. If you use drive through camping sites, different. Wish you only the best in your decisions.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
front mount trailor hitches and bike racks

xxx
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
Sorry if this is repetitive. I have been searching this forum about front mounted trailor hitches that I can mount a factory bike rack on. We have a 27' Eddie Bauer. I found the Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers (Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs Stromberg Carlson Trailer Cargo Control CC-275), but have seen mixed reviews about how if might work with my trailor with the propane tanks, sway bar mounts, etc. worried if there is enough room. I saw a Canadian brand mentioned that looked perhaps better, but can't seem to find it again. If anyone has advice or opinions, but let me know.

Rivet in PA.

Thanks
Based on my experience, there’s good news and bad news on front-mounted bike racks. There are a number of manufacturers and distributors of bike racks that slide into a front-mounted TV receiver. Thule and Yakima both make racks that support the bikes from the tires, rather than from the crossbar between the fork and the seat post, and that makes mounting the bikes a breeze. I have an older Swagman rack that holds the bikes at the crossbar, rather than from the tires. It takes seconds to install on the TV, and a couple more seconds to lift the bikes up onto the support bracket. Then it takes a lot of time, lots of bungee cords, pipe insulation and rope to satisfactorily tie the bikes down to the point that they neither scratch each other nor the TV. Because of the overall time requirement, I looked to the Thule and Yakima models for a speedier installation. The problem that I encountered with those two models was that they lifted the bikes too high, well into my field of view, at least with my TV. You could use a drop-down receiver, but then I worried about digging into the roadway on a bumpy road, not a happy thought

I decided to keep my Swagman rack. Based on the hassle factor, I learned the hard way that it was "ok" using it for single-destination outings, but it was a nuisance on multi-destination outings, and I tended not to remove it for quick bike ride around the park; but that’s just me.

In any event, my rack didn’t bother my field of view, but it did bother the headlights; consequently, I avoided driving at night. More importantly, it adversely affected airflow to the radiator/tranny cooler. It wasn’t a big deal with one bike on generally level terrain, but I noticed on a second bike. When I added a third bike, it was dramatic, especially on the long, steep grades during the high temperatures we can experience in N. California. On one outing, it was so significant that I considered dropping the bikes en route, then picking them up on my return. I decided instead to travel in the early AM, and that worked, but I wouldn’t carry 3 bikes again.

For what it’s worth, if you choose a bike rack mounted on the front of your TV, my advice would be to limit your travel to daylight hours, note the elevation changes for your route, note the temperature forecast, and limit your front rack to no more than 2 bikes.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post

Do you have a model number for the Curt hitch you like? The ones I am looking at are basically identical to the Draw-Tite ones. A bar goes across behind the bumper, eliminating the space needed for the fog lights. The Draw-Tight video shows the installer discarding the lights and taping up the connectors.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Vision interference while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
Based on my experience, there’s good news and bad news on front-mounted bike racks....For what it’s worth, if you choose a bike rack mounted on the front of your TV, my advice would be to limit your travel to daylight hours, note the elevation changes for your route, note the temperature forecast, and limit your front rack to no more than 2 bikes.
Please believe all of the comments on the obstruction of driver vision.

I tried drop bars and several manufacturers of bike racks on a couple of F-250's.

Never could get past the safety issue of limiting my vision from the driver's seat.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote