Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have had a front hitch in my Amazon basket for a couple of months trying to talk myself into buying it. I have a rather tight back yard I have to back my trailer into.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Originally Posted by Winetripper View Post
Apropos this thread, has anyone successfully put some type of tongue and ball on the back of an Airstream? This would allow those of us with rear bedroom models to back the FRONT of the trailer (and therefore the dining/living end) into a site that has a view from the back end of the pad. I realize the front tongue is part of the frame and that some serious modifications mught be required in the rear. Plus if it is not removable or at least capable of folding up, the extra length could be a serious problem, especially for backing into an upward slope. Just wondering?
Yeah, Airstream makes that. They're called 'Front Bedroom' models.

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
2007 25' International CCD
Santa Barbara , California
Right, Joe, and I looked at one, not recognizing this advantage. As it had been the obvious home to some fulltimers and was rather worse for the wear, I decided against it. I bought instead a newer, very lightly used 25' International Six-Sleeper, which fits us very well. When I brought it home I found that having the door at the front was a must - my parking pad is to the right of my garage and is fairly narrow. I can park with the front end forward enough so that my AS door clears my low overhanging eave. Had I bought the FB, I wouldn't have been able to open the door in the rear. (What I really needed was an FB with a custom second door leading into the bedroom, like the one currently for sale on the Forum!)
Winetripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Two of my TVs have had front 2 inch receiver hitches. Usually used for packing bicycles, but excellent for putting the trailer into a tight spot, or getting it out of one. I never installed an umbilical up front, so no brakes nor lights. I like the idea of offsetting to the passenger side so the driver can make an approach being able see around the trailer. This would be fine for low speed maneuvering.
Last week I saw a motorcycle (perhaps 350 cc??) mounted up front. The carrier plugged into a 2 inch front receiver, and was stabilized by bars bolted to the tow hooks. Solid as stone.
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
I installed a front hitch on my F250 after being assigned to a very tight space at a campground on a busy holiday. The space was really too tight for my trailer but was my only option, save leaving. After an hour of back-and-forth maneuvering and a transmission puking its overheated fluid and me puking dirty words, I got into the space. But I pledged, "never again."

Now, the front hitch allows me to utilize such tight spaces with ease. I have an old towing mirror that I hold out the window for seeing on the driver's side, and a wife/spotter for the passenger's side viewing.

I also use the hitch to hold about 75 pounds of tools in a 30-inch toolbox when I'm not using it for maneuvering the trailer. This lessens the need for much weight-distribution adjustments when hitched to the trailer.

I've found the front hitch to be a valuable addition to my rig.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Glad I found this thread...I was about to post a question on this very issue. I live on a narrow, dead end street. Makes it nice for low traffic and quiet but since I bought my MegaCab Dodge it's a little tough getting my 30' "kinked" around in to my driveway. I was thinking a front hitch would be the solution and now I'm going to buy one tomorrow!
'05 30' Classic rear queen with an '11 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel tow vehicle
Avatar is inflight refueling of an F-15 over job ever!
flynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Originally Posted by barts View Post
The load on the front suspension is probably a little much w/ the Airstream, but at less than 5 mph for a few minutes this is not a big problem. Do check for tongue weight limits on the hitch you select; it may be hard to find one that will handle a 900 lb tongue weight.

- Bart
+1 on the difficulty of finding a front receiver hitch that will handle the heavier tongue weight. We had to have our front receiver hitch attached (in addition to the frame mount) to a heavy duty off-road bumper just to keep the hitch from bending under load ... next, we upgraded the front suspension - which was never designed to see this kind of load. Buuuut, it really does make parking the AS much easier. Most front receiver hitches are designed for the relatively lighter hitch weight of boat trailers.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We use Hidden Hitch #65028

Description:Front Mount Receiver
Finish:Black Powder Coat
Warranty:Limited Lifetime
Weight Carrying:500 lbs. (TW/GTW)
Weight Distributing:9,000 lbs. (TW/GTW)Package

We have had front hitches on our last 3 TV's...would not be without.
Takes 1/2 hr to install...

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote