Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #101
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Count by links under tension, not those loose. Chain length could vary.

"Seeing" the weight transfer via numbers is the reason for using scales. And loads per wheel across an axle may not be the same.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
One of the factors that made me experiment with the tension was that at the SmartWeigh session it was determined that I was within 10 lbs of the front axle weight limit. By reducing the tension, I place less weight on the front axle. I should add that I had changed my bumpers for Iron Bulls made of 3/16" steel plate, cut and welded to shape; the front bumper weighs about 200 lbs. This change was mitigated by the fact that there were no tow hooks on the front of my TV, which is 2-wheel drive. In addition, the OEM bumpers were made of soft metal and bent easily; the Iron Bull bumpers will not and have loops to which I have fastened shackles, as well as a winch.

With 7 links dropped, the weight added to each wheel of the TV was 200 lbs - thus 400 lbs to each axle (as determined by SmartWeigh). The hitch is the Reese Straight Line with the dual cams. Sway control is the result of both the dual cams and the angle of the hitch head.

Since each set up is different between rigs, since many factors determine the number of links that need to be under tension, the reason I count dropped links is that it is easier when doing the actual hitching to count from the end of the chain - and that, BTW, was how JC instructed me when the set up the hitch.

On my trip to Toronto, I had noticed I had some steering issues, and I had the wheels aligned while in Toronto. I realized that perhaps I had a bit too much weight attributed to the front axle. As well, on the way back home, I found that steering was good. Perhaps one of the factors may have been which bar was on which side - so when I got home I marked them (wife's nail polish "L" & "R").

The TV is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD with 24-valve Cummins diesel.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #103
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thx for update. It's always a bit of a surprise how small things add up.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #104

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
When I had my Reese hitch, I set the links by what caused the trailer and tow vehicle to be level. Once I did that, it was irrelevant as to whether I counted links under tension or not. In my case I had two links loose under normal towing conditions. My SOB had a front water tank which required more lift to keep the trailer nose in a level state. In that case I had three links loose.

Personally it was easier for me to count loose links than links under tension. Once I got my Safari, the water tank level was inconsequential in setting the chains. From that point on I always had two links loose.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Links?

Probably each individual trailer has different settings as we all load differently, and use other setting variables. But, what I have found is most important is to have the trailer as level as possible, the weight of the truck balanced considering the various loads, and if the handling is good, this may be the way it is to be set up.

I simply count the links loose, for my own convenience, not as a guide for anyone else.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #106
Tex

Round Rock , Arkansas
Following
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote