Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Quote ADVENTURE AS" I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential."

We all used the parking brake to apply some braking back in the 70s which slowed or stopped the spinning wheel and let the traction wheel take over. Obviously braking only the slipping wheel is more effective, but the idea is not new.
JCW
I've used the parking brake method too, but I believe that computers/technology has made huge advances that help make driving/wheeling safer. At one time ABS was new and folks wanted to disable it because they felt the 'old' way of controlling or preventing a skid was better. Modern electronic sway control and electronic traction control make driving/towing safer for everyone.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
We all used the parking brake to apply some braking back in the 70s which slowed or stopped the spinning wheel and let the traction wheel take over. Obviously braking only the slipping wheel is more effective, but the idea is not new.
JCW
Agreed, but that was just for traction control, and only on one axle. Applying the brakes on one side of the tow vehicle to correct yaw, and additionally considering the steering angle, is new.

jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
The dealer gave me that 'information' that just one sway control should be used, not both. From what I read (I appreciate your comments!) both can be used in combination and that is my take on this. Thank you!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Smile You may need many large rocks to keep AS on the ground.

My 2016 F350 is very similar to your 2017 F350, if it is white in color they are exactly the same except yours is much more attractive.

We use Blue Ox weight distribution and the pickup's sway control and they both work very well together.

Unless you are talking to an engineer at Ford Dearborn or the trainers at Ford training center in Boise, the dealership does not know a sway control from box of rocks.

Blue Ox does not want to upset the lawyers.

Use both!!.

Besides, with the power and ride of the 2017 F350 diesel, you will completely forget that the AS is behind you. We have that issue when we use the one ton instead of the 3/4 ton F250 (2015), also a diesel.

You might consider several large rocks in the tail end of the AS to give the sway control and the Blue Ox something to do.

Cruz on.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ford's electronic sway control VS Blueox sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It doesn't apply all of the brakes at once, but rather wheel-by-wheel, as the computer determines how best to control the sway. I presume that it is based on algorithms and inertial sensors in the TV. The only indication that the driver has that the computer has sensed trailer sway is when the TSC illuminates on the dash, but blink and you'll miss it. I guess the automotive engineers have tamed physics with computers rather than a redefinition. I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential.

Amazing engineering in modern vehicles. Heck, even airliners have been able to land themselves for years now and tests are under way for self driving cars and trucks. I guess that the new technology requires re-training our minds so that old habits and pre-conceived notions won't compound the problem that the vehicle computer is trying to correct.

Well put, Sir.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
We have a 2012 F-150 Eco. The feature can be turned of in settings. On ours I have to do it every time I restart the truck but my understanding is that this has been corrected by Ford on later models.
I will find out, we are picking up our 2017 F-250 tomorrow.
FF, congrats on your new truck! Did you get the payload you wanted?

Our 2015 F150 has the anti-sway feature but I have not found any setting or control for it. We have an Equalizer hitch that is different from the BO but does feature WD and sway control and it seems to function well in conjunction the truck's system.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
FF, congrats on your new truck! Did you get the payload you wanted?

Our 2015 F150 has the anti-sway feature but I have not found any setting or control for it. We have an Equalizer hitch that is different from the BO but does feature WD and sway control and it seems to function well in conjunction the truck's system.

1. Blue OX is very specific in their instructions to "Turn of the trucks Anti Sway " feature because it is in conflict with the built in Anti Sway feature of the BO.
I have actually experimented with it on long EB trip on I- 80 and they are correct. With the trucks anti sway engaged I would get a very erratic sway control action with side winds and passing semis. With the feature in the truck turned of it disappeared and no sway. I tested it over and over to be sure.
2. I haven't seen our new F-250 yet so I don't know for sure what the sticker will say. I have seen a number of F-250s at the dealer and no two have the same payload. As long as ours comes with a minimum of 2,100 LBS I will be happy.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
1. Blue OX is very specific in their instructions to "Turn of the trucks Anti Sway " feature because it is in conflict with the built in Anti Sway feature of the BO.
I have actually experimented with it on long EB trip on I- 80 and they are correct. With the trucks anti sway engaged I would get a very erratic sway control action with side winds and passing semis. With the feature in the truck turned of it disappeared and no sway. I tested it over and over to be sure.
2. I haven't seen our new F-250 yet so I don't know for sure what the sticker will say. I have seen a number of F-250s at the dealer and no two have the same payload. As long as ours comes with a minimum of 2,100 LBS I will be happy.
Excellent on the road user report. Thanks
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I don't turn mine off and have experienced no issues at all. Well over 10,000 miles with current TV.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Congrats on the new truck! I use the BO hitch on my 2016 F250. I am able to turn the Ford anti-sway off and do so whenever I tow the Pendleton. I leave it on when I tow my boat which has surge brakes on its trailer. I find the BO anti-sway to work quite well and that the braking action of the Ford system to be an annoyance as it competes with the BO system. By the way, the manual mode on the ford trucks will make towing in mountains much nicer. I love it!
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Trailer Sway Control

My 2018 F150 XLT is set up for towing my Airstream 27FB. It has Ford's TSC (Trailer Sway Control) function, and a Blue Ox anti-sway weight distribution hitch. The TSC is engaged when you select "Tow/Haul" driving mode (press the button on the end of the shift lever).

On my last trip, I attempted to pass a big rig (a little too fast), and the big rig's bow wave caused the trailer to start swaying. I started to correct the sway by steering counter to the sway as I was taught. But the truck's TSC applied the trailer brakes, which brought the trailer back into alignment, and showed a message on the dash info display that the Trailer Sway Control had been activated.

I was amazed that the truck could detect the sway condition (it has gyro sensors to detect sway), but am more than grateful that my F150 has this function, and that I use an anti-sway trailer hitch. It was stupid of me to let my speed get up to the point where it was dangerous, but smart to have a vehicle and hitch that helps to mitigate the sway. I regained my discipline, and slowed down, and followed the next big rig down the road.

Drive Safe!!
Cool Cat Daddy O
CoolCatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #26
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Blueox sway bars

Very interesting report, thank you. Did you also have the sway bars installed?
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
The F350 (2017) comes with electronic sway control for the trailer. It can't be used in combination with the sway control bars the Blueox offers so one has to chose one or the other. Anyone with knowledge of what is best? Thank you.
Yes Blue Ox suggests to turn off the Ford built in sway control. However since it has to be done every time you restart sometimes you forget. I had it on our 2012 F-150 And have it on the 2017 F-250. Does it work, you bet. Six months ago SB on I 24 just north of Chatanooga had the cruise control set at 72 mph. Followi g a small car approaching an exit. The car signals to get out and exit. I move over to the left lane to pass as he slows. As I get past the exit I check in my right mirror to see if it clear I begin to move onto the right lane. At the last second I notice the roof of a car even wth my right front wheel. Still moving at 72mph I instinctively jerk the wheel to the left apply and release the brake and let it coast. As I glanced at the rear view mirror I saw the left side of the trailer lift of the pavement and then the opposite side the same way and than it 'll settled down and kept on rolling like nothing happened. I wagley recall seeing the dash flash sway control but that was it. The entire set up felt solid and grounded. I believe the BO and the stable weight and bulk of the truck did their job. The 30' trailer was bouncing around like a rag doll behind the truck without any sway.
What happened is that he fool changed his mind and did not exit and continued along side of me in the right lane and ended up in my blind side.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
If you don't need weight distribution then get an Airsafe and ditch the BO. There is no way to turn off the sway control on the hitch.
Can you not use the blue ox system with the air safe?

Mike

Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote