Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Ford's electronic sway control VS Blueox sway bars

The F350 (2017) comes with electronic sway control for the trailer. It can't be used in combination with the sway control bars the Blueox offers so one has to chose one or the other. Anyone with knowledge of what is best? Thank you.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
If you don't need weight distribution then get an Airsafe and ditch the BO. There is no way to turn off the sway control on the hitch.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I have TSC on my F350 and also use a friction sway device. TSC is a traction control system. I also have WD bars. Haven't tried to turn off traction control or TSC, not sure if it's possible. Ask a dealer.

Sometimes I tow without WD or the sway device. no issues with or without. My trailer is a 19', however.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
On my tow vehicle (not Ford), the sway control function of my Eaz Lift weight distribution system is provided Husky friction sway control and it should not effect the trailer sway control (TSC) feature on the TV. The TSC feature on my TV applies the brakes once it senses trailer sway. A weight distribution system with sway control will actually help because it will correct the trailer sway before the TV senses it, which will help reduce the workload on your brakes and on the sway control feature. Does your manual actually specify not to use both?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Vitaver-

We have used both a 2013 and a 2105 F150 to tow our Pete (same coach as yours), first with a Blue Ox 1k/10k, and now with a ProPride hitch system. I know the 2015 F150 has the "electronic sway control" of which you speak (and I think the '13 did too), and I assume it is the same setup as on your new F350. Did you read "don't use a sway control hitch" in the manual, or hear it from a dealer rep? Two different things obviously.

Well, my opinion is that I want a weight distribution/sway control hitch system. And if Ford is "monitoring" for sway and if it detects any and begins to brake a wheel or wheels to slow/stop a sway condition, fine. But I still want the mechanical advantages of the hitch system, especially with our softer-sprung F150. But that's just me. And now I don't know if I'm even helping with your question.

But I do hope that our experience is somewhat helpful.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The TSC feature on my TV applies the brakes once it senses trailer sway.
You mention your system applies the brakes. Which brakes the truck o thr trailer. Historically the correction for sway was to apply the trailer brakes while maintaining or advancing the accelerator on the TV. The worst thing you could do was to apply the TV brakes. Have we redefined the laws of physics?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
If you don't need weight distribution then get an Airsafe and ditch the BO. There is no way to turn off the sway control on the hitch.
We have a 2012 F-150 Eco. The feature can be turned of in settings. On ours I have to do it every time I restart the truck but my understanding is that this has been corrected by Ford on later models.
I will find out, we are picking up our 2017 F-250 tomorrow.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nemo , South Dakota
Isn't the purpose of the vehicles electronic sway control feature to mitigate trailer sway that an anti-sway hitch is supposed to limit or prevent from occurring in the first place?
clarklaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Propride type hitch - prevents sway from starting.

Friction sway control
- reduces the chance of sway by resistance to movement.

Tow Vehicle electronic sway control - reacts after sway is occurring and at the least effective point, on the tow vehicle instead of the trailer axle. Another point to consider with using only the TV sway/traction feature is the potential wear on the TV brakes and\or overheating, particularly on a long downhill grade if it is constantly making corrections.

I do not trust the TV sway control alone so I have 2 friction sway controls and leave my Truck electronic sway/traction controls on. I find it works well for my set up. I have only seen the traction/sway indicator come on for slippery conditions, never for sway.

My 2 cents worth, I would use both the electronics of the truck and a sway control hitch.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You mention your system applies the brakes. Which brakes the truck o thr trailer. Historically the correction for sway was to apply the trailer brakes while maintaining or advancing the accelerator on the TV. The worst thing you could do was to apply the TV brakes. Have we redefined the laws of physics?
It doesn't apply all of the brakes at once, but rather wheel-by-wheel, as the computer determines how best to control the sway. I presume that it is based on algorithms and inertial sensors in the TV. The only indication that the driver has that the computer has sensed trailer sway is when the TSC illuminates on the dash, but blink and you'll miss it. I guess the automotive engineers have tamed physics with computers rather than a redefinition. I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential.

Amazing engineering in modern vehicles. Heck, even airliners have been able to land themselves for years now and tests are under way for self driving cars and trucks. I guess that the new technology requires re-training our minds so that old habits and pre-conceived notions won't compound the problem that the vehicle computer is trying to correct.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Sway control is a function of computer controlled ABS (brakes). When ABS malfunctions, you lose sway control.

Choose sway bars. Nothing beats old school. You'll be glad you did.

BTW - I suppose sway control is OK for pulling the occasional trailer over short distances on (relatively) flat road surfaces. Other than that, I wouldn't trust it.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
The Blue Ox does not use friction to control sway.

The sway control on the Silverado can apply trailer brakes in addition to other TV actions.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Vitaver,

I don't know what Ford may have changed on their built-in anti-sway system, but I've been renting Ford F150 & F250 pickups for 3-5x trips per year since 7/2012 with 2012-2016 MY trucks from Enterprise Commercial to tow our 1960 Avion T20 (yes I know, waaay overkill on the TV), with a Hensley Cub, & there have been zero conflicts between the trucks' internal AS (engaged when the tow/haul mode pressed on the shift lever), & our Hensley 3P WD/AS hitch.

The Hensley & ProPride AS integral as well, so it cannot be disengaged.

You should double check with someone at Ford's technical staff who knows about their latest tow/AS system to verify that you can use an AS hitch or not, & why it would be necessary to only use one if so.

The 2 should be able to work together as a belt & suspenders solution.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote ADVENTURE AS" I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential."

We all used the parking brake to apply some braking back in the 70s which slowed or stopped the spinning wheel and let the traction wheel take over. Obviously braking only the slipping wheel is more effective, but the idea is not new.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Quote ADVENTURE AS" I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential."

We all used the parking brake to apply some braking back in the 70s which slowed or stopped the spinning wheel and let the traction wheel take over. Obviously braking only the slipping wheel is more effective, but the idea is not new.
JCW
I've used the parking brake method too, but I believe that computers/technology has made huge advances that help make driving/wheeling safer. At one time ABS was new and folks wanted to disable it because they felt the 'old' way of controlling or preventing a skid was better. Modern electronic sway control and electronic traction control make driving/towing safer for everyone.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
JCW
Agreed, but that was just for traction control, and only on one axle. Applying the brakes on one side of the tow vehicle to correct yaw, and additionally considering the steering angle, is new.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
The dealer gave me that 'information' that just one sway control should be used, not both. From what I read (I appreciate your comments!) both can be used in combination and that is my take on this. Thank you!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Classy Roscoe

Smile You may need many large rocks to keep AS on the ground.

My 2016 F350 is very similar to your 2017 F350, if it is white in color they are exactly the same except yours is much more attractive.

We use Blue Ox weight distribution and the pickup's sway control and they both work very well together.

Unless you are talking to an engineer at Ford Dearborn or the trainers at Ford training center in Boise, the dealership does not know a sway control from box of rocks.

Blue Ox does not want to upset the lawyers.

Use both!!.

Besides, with the power and ride of the 2017 F350 diesel, you will completely forget that the AS is behind you. We have that issue when we use the one ton instead of the 3/4 ton F250 (2015), also a diesel.

You might consider several large rocks in the tail end of the AS to give the sway control and the Blue Ox something to do.

Cruz on.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ford's electronic sway control VS Blueox sway bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It doesn't apply all of the brakes at once, but rather wheel-by-wheel, as the computer determines how best to control the sway. I presume that it is based on algorithms and inertial sensors in the TV. The only indication that the driver has that the computer has sensed trailer sway is when the TSC illuminates on the dash, but blink and you'll miss it. I guess the automotive engineers have tamed physics with computers rather than a redefinition. I'm not sure which wheels have the brakes applied or in what order in TSC, but, for example, with the electronic traction control on my 4 wheel drive, the computer will apply braking to only the wheel that is slipping, effectively providing more torque to the wheel that has traction. I have seen this in action and it is amazing that a computer can provide nearly the control that previously required a limited slip or locking differential.

Amazing engineering in modern vehicles. Heck, even airliners have been able to land themselves for years now and tests are under way for self driving cars and trucks. I guess that the new technology requires re-training our minds so that old habits and pre-conceived notions won't compound the problem that the vehicle computer is trying to correct.

Well put, Sir.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
We have a 2012 F-150 Eco. The feature can be turned of in settings. On ours I have to do it every time I restart the truck but my understanding is that this has been corrected by Ford on later models.
I will find out, we are picking up our 2017 F-250 tomorrow.
FF, congrats on your new truck! Did you get the payload you wanted?

Our 2015 F150 has the anti-sway feature but I have not found any setting or control for it. We have an Equalizer hitch that is different from the BO but does feature WD and sway control and it seems to function well in conjunction the truck's system.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote