Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Ford F150 HDPP - Does it come in a Crew or only SuperCab

Hi all. I've looked online, and the only way I can get the Ford online configurator to configure an F150 with the HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) is by selecting a Lariat SuperCab. When I change body style to Crew, it no longer gives the HDPP option. Does anyone know if HDPP is available on a 2017 F150 SuperCrew? I'm comparing it against an F250 for purposes of towing my future AS (considering FC25 through 30 Classic).
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
HD Payload is available on a Supercrew with the 6.5' bed only (i.e. the long wheelbase). I don't remember if it requires the longest bed on the Supercab still or not (which would be 8', for a REALLY long wheelbase.)

On the Lariat it's ONLY available at the "Lariat Base" configuration (500A). I can't remember if it's available on the top XLT trim (302A) but I think it's available on Mid at least.

I know the current configurator is a little broken. I was unable to make the configurator show me a Lariat Supercrew 5.5' bed that included Max Tow, but the dealer was able to do that at order time (it would've been a dealbreaker for me otherwise, and it shows on the order system and my window sticker... still waiting for the truck itself!)

Also remember that you must order the telescoping tow mirrors as a separate option, they're not included in the Max Tow or HDPP packages anymore.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I just went through this process myself. My order is placed, and I'm waiting to get my VIN number so I can track it. What I had to do when configuring online is choose the cab, bed, engine and drive. Then scroll down under exterior options and pick the 3.73 rear axle. It will prompt you/automatically add the HDP package. I got the Lariat....only downside is you can't get buckets in the Lariat. You can with an XLT. I think that is unfortunate but I wanted power fold tow mirrors more than I wanted bucket seats.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I meant to add: once you get the HDP package added to your configuration it will show you what other options are available. Once you get it figured as others have said be prepared to educate the salesman at the dealer. I had a heck of time finding someone who would work with me.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Once you order: http://wwwqa.cotusa.ford.com is where you can (eventually) see your order info, including your VIN. You'll need your order # and dealer # off the order sheet and your last name, but once you get your VIN you can search with that.

Some days they're doing dev or maintenance on that one and it's painfully slow or fails miserably. It's not even supposed to be the production site, but so far my truck has never shown up in the "prod" site, just this one, and it's already in the "In Production" state.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
HD Payload is available on a Supercrew with the 6.5' bed only (i.e. the long wheelbase). I don't remember if it requires the longest bed on the Supercab still or not (which would be 8', for a REALLY long wheelbase.)

On the Lariat it's ONLY available at the "Lariat Base" configuration (500A). I can't remember if it's available on the top XLT trim (302A) but I think it's available on Mid at least.

I know the current configurator is a little broken. I was unable to make the configurator show me a Lariat Supercrew 5.5' bed that included Max Tow, but the dealer was able to do that at order time (it would've been a dealbreaker for me otherwise, and it shows on the order system and my window sticker... still waiting for the truck itself!)

Also remember that you must order the telescoping tow mirrors as a separate option, they're not included in the Max Tow or HDPP packages anymore.
Since you purchased a 5.5' bed, I'm assuming you did NOT get HDPP? My ideal truck would be a SuperCrew with a 5.5' bed and HDPP. My the spaces in my condo parking lot are not huge and I don't want to get angry notes from people who think my truck sticks out too far.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I meant to add: once you get the HDP package added to your configuration it will show you what other options are available. Once you get it figured as others have said be prepared to educate the salesman at the dealer. I had a heck of time finding someone who would work with me.
Haha. I just got back from a dealer and was amazed at how little he knew about the trucks. I mean he knew NOTHING. He said "let's go look it up online". I said "I can do that on my own time".
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
Since you purchased a 5.5' bed, I'm assuming you did NOT get HDPP? My ideal truck would be a SuperCrew with a 5.5' bed and HDPP. My the spaces in my condo parking lot are not huge and I don't want to get angry notes from people who think my truck sticks out too far.
Right. My truck will eventually be my only vehicle, once my beloved Subaru Legacy GT Ltd wagon with a turbocharged engine and a 5 speed gets needy enough for me to let it go to a 2nd owner. I didn't want the long truck to drive in the city all the time.

I ordered carefully, tricked out at Lariat Luxury (502A) but with the 5.5' box, Max Tow (which includes the bigger fuel tank now), tech package (for the 360-degree camera for smaller city parking spots) and the tailgate step (because I'm short-legged and fat and bought a 4x4 truck!) I specifically avoided the moonroof and power running boards and massaging seats and 20" wheels because each of those options cuts into payload. I expect my payload to be around 1800 lb, and it would've been a bit higher with 2WD which would be all I really needed until that one day when it wasn't.

I have vintage trailers for the time being, and just 2 of us and a 50-lb dog so I've got plenty of payload for our needs. I have friends towing a 30' 2002 Classic with a '14 F150 with Max Tow and the 5.5' bed. They have a Hensley and love their truck, but are likely pushing their payload limit pretty hard. I think they have LT tires.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Landrum's thread is here FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...st-162060.html

I am also in the middle of making decisions on this, so thanks for the information.

Peter

PS -- The following thread comes at the same issues from the Platinum limitations perspective FYI, and contains some good information about Lariat and XLT builds:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ad-161425.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
From reading the F150 forums it sounds like to clotus system basically doesn't work. If you have the VIN number try this: http://researchmaniacs.com/Ford/Trac...CarOrders.html

I think you can get your build date.

I went full HDP which meant 6.5' bed. I'm not super crazy about the length, but mine is 2wd which means my payload should be north of 2,300 lbs. I'll also a nice safety factor since the rear axle is rated at 4,800 lbs.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Food for thought: I found a couple of XLT's on the lot with payloads around 1,800 lbs. This would almost work for us. However these trucks have GVWR's of 7,000lbs. Yet if you add the combined axles you only get 7,400 lbs. Not much wiggle room. You would need to balance your load carefully to stay under your axle ratings. On the HDP package the GVWR moves to 7,850 lbs but the axle ratings increases even more which in my mind gives a little more wiggle room. I'm not trying to start "the great debate" yet again....
Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Right. My truck will eventually be my only vehicle, once my beloved Subaru Legacy GT Ltd wagon with a turbocharged engine and a 5 speed gets needy enough for me to let it go to a 2nd owner. I didn't want the long truck to drive in the city all the time.

I ordered carefully, tricked out at Lariat Luxury (502A) but with the 5.5' box, Max Tow (which includes the bigger fuel tank now), tech package (for the 360-degree camera for smaller city parking spots) and the tailgate step (because I'm short-legged and fat and bought a 4x4 truck!) I specifically avoided the moonroof and power running boards and massaging seats and 20" wheels because each of those options cuts into payload. I expect my payload to be around 1800 lb, and it would've been a bit higher with 2WD which would be all I really needed until that one day when it wasn't.

I have vintage trailers for the time being, and just 2 of us and a 50-lb dog so I've got plenty of payload for our needs. I have friends towing a 30' 2002 Classic with a '14 F150 with Max Tow and the 5.5' bed. They have a Hensley and love their truck, but are likely pushing their payload limit pretty hard. I think they have LT tires.

Sounds like you got the perfect truck! I believe I read somewhere that the 2017 F250 body has exactly the same dimensions as an F150, except height. Am I making that up in my head? I could go for a F250 Crew if it were no longer than the equivalent F150 body style.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
Sounds like you got the perfect truck! I believe I read somewhere that the 2017 F250 body has exactly the same dimensions as an F150, except height. Am I making that up in my head? I could go for a F250 Crew if it were no longer than the equivalent F150 body style.
The cab dimensions are the same, but other dimensions scale up. The F250 short wheelbase crew cab is about the length of the F150 long wheelbase crewcab (157" on the F150, 160" on the F250) but the long-box F250 Crew has a 176" wheelbase.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Do yourself a favor and rent an F150 for a day to drive it. The dealer test drives leave a lot to be desired and you find things out after the 2nd day on a 6% grade that you didn't appreciate on the 10-min circle around the dealer. Having a really hard time making this decision myself and appreciate the suggestions & posts shown above. Leaning towards just getting the 250 Diesel and calling it a day because once you are in the 150 crew cab size, you just aren't parking this thing anywhere you want and the speed and load capacities jump considerably.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
From reading the F150 forums it sounds like to clotus system basically doesn't work. If you have the VIN number try this: http://researchmaniacs.com/Ford/Trac...CarOrders.html

I think you can get your build date.

I went full HDP which meant 6.5' bed. I'm not super crazy about the length, but mine is 2wd which means my payload should be north of 2,300 lbs. I'll also a nice safety factor since the rear axle is rated at 4,800 lbs.
Well, once you have a VIN and your window sticker is released you can get your window sticker image off the ResearchManiacs site, and that has the build date on the top line above the word "BLEND" (mine is scheduled to be built next Tuesday, 7 Feb for example.) When your dealer gets your VIN, they'll have the scheduled build week at that point.

I think it's worth checking the secondary COTUS site (http://wwwqa.cotusa.ford.com) because that one showed my truck about 10 days after I ordered it, and showed the scheduled build date and lots of configuration info so I could feel good about the order having been entered properly. It showed the move into "In Production" status a day before the window sticker became available at the ResearchManiacs site. Probably on Monday or Tuesday the information for my truck in Ford's ETIS site will start getting updated too.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Do yourself a favor and rent an F150 for a day to drive it. The dealer test drives leave a lot to be desired and you find things out after the 2nd day on a 6% grade that you didn't appreciate on the 10-min circle around the dealer. Having a really hard time making this decision myself and appreciate the suggestions & posts shown above. Leaning towards just getting the 250 Diesel and calling it a day because once you are in the 150 crew cab size, you just aren't parking this thing anywhere you want and the speed and load capacities jump considerably.
If you're unsure about one truck or another but sure you're going to buy soon, good dealerships will work an overnight or 24-hr test drive on a demo they don't mind putting some miles on (e.g. take a truck out on Saturday evening and return it Monday in TX, where dealerships can't be open consecutive Saturdays and Sundays.) If you're going to test towing, you probably shouldn't tell the dealer or they'll balk. The problem with this, of course, is that dealers rarely have a well-configured tow vehicle on their lots in the 150/1500 class, because they want you to buy their HD trucks.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks. Good to know the cotus site does work. Of course now I'll be checking that ever hour waiting to see my truck!

Oh and I did exactly what you just suggested. Brought trucks home for test runs with the AS. The dealers were very accommodating.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
F150 with Max Trailer Tow Package

Note, I am also looking for new F150. I currently own a 2012 Platinum SuperCrew, short bed, echoboost, 4x4 with 104K miles. I love most everything about this truck, but the payload is too small. I am looking at a 2017 loaded up Lariat 4x4, 10speed, Echoboost, Supercrew, shortbed model with Max Trailer Tow Package, which gives you 36 gal tank, 3.55 rear end, backup assist, break controller, upgraded front stabilizers, and few more things. I don't need/want the sunroof, not sure about the 20" wheels or 18" yet, but not a big deal. Payload for this configuration on paper, says 2,030lbs. If I go with this package, I will be happy if I can get close to or above 1800lbs payload! If their specs are correct, this package should make it. Can't get there with Platinum, King Ranch, or Limited...

I never checked my Platinum payload till I got "educated" after towing my 25' FB twin AS for a year....it works fine for us, but I am mindful that I currently only have a 1030 payload in my Platinum, and that ain't good!

By the way, the 5.6 bed is great for us. The F150 Echoboost is a great truck to drive when towing or not towing! The new added torque/hp/and 10speed trany makes it very, very, attractive!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Gypsydad
That's a good number of miles on your current 150. Any feedback on the ecoboost in terms of quality or problems? Have been concerned about the turbo six from that standpoint.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Gypsydad: I waited and waited... I considered waiting for the 2018 to give them a year to sort the 10-speed software, but I was really starting to get the itch at the end of 2016, to the point that I was considering replacing my car instead of the truck because I "needed" something new. (Car is 12 years old, truck is 10... I don't really NEED both, but both are way behind the curve on modern features, etc.) Then they showed a peek at the new 2018 grille and I ordered a 2017.

Actually, I looked pretty hard for a leftover 2016 that was at least close. I (or rather my salescritter)_found a 6.5' bed with max tow and the mirrors in an acceptable color (Ruby Red, similar to my current truck instead of the Blue Jeans I really want) but in the end that extra foot of truck plus some extra payload-sucking features on that one made it worth it to me to spend 3 or 4 grand more to get exactly what I want in a '17.