Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Gypsydad
That's a good number of miles on your current 150. Any feedback on the ecoboost in terms of quality or problems? Have been concerned about the turbo six from that standpoint.
I have been back and forth on keeping it at 100K+ miles ; Wife of course, wants me to keep it. It has been surprisingly reliable, very comfortable, reasonable MPG, great power/torque, and only issues I have had were in 110+ heat, pulling the AS at 65-70mph outside Vegas on long, steep grade, where the EB turbo gauge went to red hot. I slowed down to 45-50 up the rest of the grade, and it cooled right down. Once you understand how turbos react in very hot climates you can adjust speed when towing. But really, how often are you driving in 110-118?

For towing, it has been very remarkable. I do change oil at 6K-8K miles with Ford service. Some of the "experts" I have talked with who know this engine, confirm few problems if you stay up on regular oil changes. No turbo issues; I did have a plug foul this past summer at 95K that scared me, but it was no big deal...diagnostic check at Ford found problem in less then a minute; they replaced plugs, tuned into specs, and I was on the road in 45 min. I will likely get the new one in Spring.. with 10speed...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Whooooohooooo! New F150 EB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Gypsydad: I waited and waited... I considered waiting for the 2018 to give them a year to sort the 10-speed software, but I was really starting to get the itch at the end of 2016, to the point that I was considering replacing my car instead of the truck because I "needed" something new. (Car is 12 years old, truck is 10... I don't really NEED both, but both are way behind the curve on modern features, etc.) Then they showed a peek at the new 2018 grille and I ordered a 2017.

Actually, I looked pretty hard for a leftover 2016 that was at least close. I (or rather my salescritter)_found a 6.5' bed with max tow and the mirrors in an acceptable color (Ruby Red, simWjar to my current truck instead of the Blue Jeans I really want) but in the end that extra foot of truck plus some extra payload-sucking features on that one made it worth it to me to spend 3 or 4 grand more to get exactly what I want in a '17.
That is exciting! Please keep us posted on your mileage and experiences pulling the AS....Which model and was it 4x4? What other options did you get and what is payload?
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That is exciting! Please keep us posted on your mileage and experiences pulling the AS....Which model and was it 4x4? What other options did you get and what is payload?
Well I don't know the exact payload yet because I won't have the truck for a few weeks yet, but I expect it to be around 1800 lb for my 4x4. Here's the window sticker (no, I'm not paying that much!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LariatWindowSticker_noVIN.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	279121  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Well I don't know the exact payload yet because I won't have the truck for a few weeks yet, but I expect it to be around 1800 lb for my 4x4. Here's the window sticker (no, I'm not paying that much!)

I'm completely envious! It looks like the ideal truck. Lots of cool technology, great town capabilities, and a heated steering wheel for those cold mornings. Take a picture of the door sticker when it comes in!
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
David, I just did a similar Lariat build and the dealer discounted it almost 2% off the sticker price. Would you mind letting us know how you did on your price? [PM if you wish]

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sticker? What is sticker>...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
David, I just did a similar Lariat build and the dealer discounted it almost 2% off the sticker price. Would you mind letting us know how you did on your price? [PM if you wish]

Thanks,

Peter
Not sure about where you are, but my dealer is telling me around $10-11K discount; I got my 2012 for $12K discount last time....I am pushing him (Ford) for more as the GM guys I used in the past are offering $13K discount right now on 2017 1500 LTX....loaded. Best way to get this ball rolling with a dealer is to start with the internet guy or manager on the phone...waste of time to go down there and let them work you over. Only go once your in the ball park of what you want to pay... my 2 cents...
Old 02-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Nice!

Quote:
I think that has most everything I would want...I see they threw in the Front License Plate Bracket also at no charge!

Let us know about the payload...think you can verify that early on some site? Also, I would be very interested to see your experiences once it arrives and you are pulling.

Anyone taken delivery yet of the new F150 and used it with your AS? If so, please post....
Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Thanks,

Peter
Roughly 7% off sticker. I qualify for the X-plan (which is relatively easy to qualify for... membership in the Mustang club, the EAA, working for several partner and vendor companies, or in my case owning 100+ shares of Ford stock for at least 6 months before the purchase.) That's the X-plan offer price, so someone willing to spend all day fighting over a buck or two can go a little better, it boils down to invoice price plus $100 for documentation plus whatever your state charges for tax and licensing fees.

X-plan is good for custom orders, because the dealer has no skin in the game. They can just choose not to order if a buyer wants to pay an unreasonably low price, where an in-inventory unit costs them floor plan every month, and there are often offers that are for in-inventory vehicles only, etc. So you generally pay a bit more for ordering, but you get just what you want rather than compromising on other aspects of the vehicle.

There's more room for negotiation on stuff like your trade and if you want a service and/or maintenance plan.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
Hi all. I've looked online, and the only way I can get the Ford online configurator to configure an F150 with the HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) is by selecting a Lariat SuperCab. When I change body style to Crew, it no longer gives the HDPP option. Does anyone know if HDPP is available on a 2017 F150 SuperCrew? I'm comparing it against an F250 for purposes of towing my future AS (considering FC25 through 30 Classic).

Go with the F-250 Diesel for your classic. You will not regret it.
I went through the same mental gymnastics last December wanting to replace our 2012 F-150 Eco that was pulling our 30' International.
By the time I got done configuring the F-150 HDPP with its restriction it made no sense to me. I special ordered a 2017 F-250 Lariat Ultimate instead which allowed me to get everything the way I wanted.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
I ordered the exact same truck with minor differences. White Platinum instead of Blue Jeans paint color, and black interior. Did not get the box steps or wheel well liners. Did get adaptive cruise control and rubber floor mats. Everything else the same. I order the truck early in December. The dealer said yesterday it arrives next week, it's built and supposedly nearby in the "mixing yard". I think that's where the train yard is. I was hoping to see between 1,600 and 1,700 lbs of payload, so if its closer to 1,800 lbs that will be great.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I ordered the exact same truck with minor differences. White Platinum instead of Blue Jeans paint color, and black interior. Did not get the box steps or wheel well liners. Did get adaptive cruise control and rubber floor mats. Everything else the same. I order the truck early in December. The dealer said yesterday it arrives next week, it's built and supposedly nearby in the "mixing yard". I think that's where the train yard is. I was hoping to see between 1,600 and 1,700 lbs of payload, so if its closer to 1,800 lbs that will be great.
I drove a KR Supercrew FX4 short-box with the tailgate step, no sunroof, not max tow but the big fuel tank when I was test driving, its payload was within a few pounds of 1750 (I think it was 1746 but I didn't take a picture of the tag, just looked at it and thought "That'll do fine.") I didn't order FX4 because it's a lot of money for cheap shocks, skid plates and some software ("Hill Descent") that I don't need. My "offroad" is driving onto fields where rallies are held, etc. I think FX4 costs a tiny bit on payload because of the skid plates but it's hard to say, pretty much every 4wd F150 on dealer lots in Texas has the package.

My box-side steps may cost me more than FX4 saves me, weight-wise, but worth every ounce for a guy who can't quite reach over to the bottom of the bed from the side on a 2wd truck...

Old 02-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
...... I order the truck early in December. The dealer said yesterday it arrives next week, it's built and supposedly nearby in the "mixing yard". I think that's where the train yard is....

Wow.......two months. I placed my order Feb 1. Guess I might have a long wait....
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
Wow.......two months. I placed my order Feb 1. Guess I might have a long wait....
There were some early delays. My time from initial order in January to projected delivery is about 6 wks. Of course, I don't HAVE my truck yet, but we're still within that window. They haven't pushed back the estimated delivery so far.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #34
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Last year we purchased a 2016 XLT F-150 SuperCrew with the HD Payload package with a payload sticker of 2434 lbs. 2017 should be similar; Lariat trim with HDPP is probably a bit lower.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Hi all. I've looked online, and the only way I can get the Ford online configurator to configure an F150 with the HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) is by selecting a Lariat SuperCab. When I change body style to Crew, it no longer gives the HDPP option. Does anyone know if HDPP is available on a 2017 F150 SuperCrew? I'm comparing it against an F250 for purposes of towing my future AS (considering FC25 through 30 Classic).
I went through the same confusion on their web site.
It seems that the Ford web-master marches to his own drummer, rather than following convention.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D44 View Post
Last year we purchased a 2016 XLT F-150 SuperCrew with the HD Payload package with a payload sticker of 2434 lbs. 2017 should be similar; Lariat trim with HDPP is probably a bit lower.

Hmmm. So you CAN (or could) get HD payload on a Crew? Very interesting. I wonder if 2017 is different.
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hmmm. So you CAN (or could) get HD payload on a Crew? Very interesting. I wonder if 2017 is different.

Yes. I just ordered a 2017 Lariat Supercrew with HD Payload/Max Tow. You have to get the 6.5' bed in order to get the HD payload.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Well, for what it's worth; I have a 2015 F-150 EcoBeast, 3.5l, 3.55, HD tow, 20" wheels that tows a 30' FC rather well, using an Ezy-lift hitch with friction bars. .
My avg. tow wt. is about 8000#; Fuel Milage? About 22 litres/100 KM. using our STOOPID method of expressing it. The Ford on it's own, gets about 12-14 L/100 Km.
By the way; the Ford has a six speed tranny, and I NEVER use the sixth gear at any time. It's too 'long legged' to be of use, and is dangerous to the engine by 'lugging' it.
I just don't understand the need for a ten speed, when our engines have a good speed range.

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Briefly scanned this thread, seems lots of people are still trying to figure out weights. Ford for some stupid reason doesn't make it easy, I cant really understand why they don't provide an estimate in the build system. I put together a spreadsheet based on data they released for 2016 (2017 shouldnt be much different).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MldhH6IDOYhy_0
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure about where you are, but my dealer is telling me around $10-11K discount; I got my 2012 for $12K discount last time....I am pushing him (Ford) for more as the GM guys I used in the past are offering $13K discount right now on 2017 1500 LTX....loaded. Best way to get this ball rolling with a dealer is to start with the internet guy or manager on the phone...waste of time to go down there and let them work you over. Only go once your in the ball park of what you want to pay... my 2 cents...

GM can offer the larger discount because their trucks are built in Mexico and imported tax free. Labor cost for them in Mexico is 20% of the U.S. Auto worker.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote