Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Yes, but where do you put the generator, fire wood, bikes, and 150 gallon water blivet in a Charger?

The usual dilemma. Don't think I'll ever be caught carrying firewood, but there is likely something I'd rather carry.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
a note to Kelvin...

I am in the same quandry you are, I currently tow my 25' AS with a Tundra double cab. This is my second one, the first was a 07 that went 120,000 trouble free miles. Currently I have 55, 000 miles on my 12. I have been looking at the new Ford, but I don't want the double cab version because of the antiquated door design. I have been on the Ford website and I can't seem to get what I want for under the low to mid $50,000. I want cloth seats (that look really cheap in a $50 k truck) and options like tow mirrors are tied to some expensive flood lights. The larger fuel tank has priced much higher than last years Ford. Guess I will just buy new tires for the Tundra, it runs great, pulls the trailer fine, and still gets 11.5 mpg with the trailer on the back and two kayaks on the truck cap. Even with the family discount the Ford seems like it will be a lot of money, and it doesn't appear from what I'm reading that it gets much better mpg's than I am currently getting--at least when towing. I see there is a rumor that the Ford will get a better transmission with more gears in the next year or two, and unforunatly, Toyota that has gone downhill starting with the 14 model, will not be upgraded much until 2018--if they continue to make it at all anymore. In the meantime, I'm counting on the continued reliability of Toyota to make up for the propable better mileage of the Ford not pulling. I know I could buy a lot of gas with the difference with the Toyota I could live with and the Ford I'd want. Toyota, add an intgreated brake controler, a larger fuel tank option and bring back the 25-30 little things you've been quietly deleating since 07 and I'd be a happier camper. Keep at it Kelvin, we may get an improved towing truck yet.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
I have a 3/4 ton for other reasons, but I have a friend who owns a F150 ecoboost. He has pulled his 9000#, 32' SOB, 1000's of miles with no issue or regret. He does have a propride. I would not hesitate to buy one, if it met my other needs.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Ford isn't isn't treating the 2015s differentials and drive shafts with any paint or sealant so new owners are seeing surface rust on these parts even on special orders fresh off the delivery trucks. Others are complaining of door fit issues.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote