Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
I have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckStream View Post
Hey gang. Looked around and didnt see one that specifically fit. I am looking at the above in a Platinum Package.

The towing capacity, and torque numbers seem very impressive.

Is anybody currently towing ANY airstream with this truck? If so, how is it?

Thanks

Coco.
I have a 2018 F150 Platinum Package towing a 25 International Signature with the 3.5 EcoBoost. It is the real deal. I've towed it to the California desert, and several places in the Northwest. I have the Blue Ox hitch. With this setup I can maintain speed limit through the Oregon passes as well as the ins and outs along the Oregon coast. Freeways are no problem.
Prior to this I had a 2013 F150 towing a 23 Flying Cloud. This was a great package but the performance of the 2018 is far superior ranging from performance to creature comfort and many new features.
I looked at various options in the other trim levels and decided on the Platinum. In addition I got telescoping mirrors and the max trailer towing package. The adaptive cruise control, lane warning and trailer backup assist are all great features.
As for carrying capacity the Platinum package reduces it, but no problem for me as I'm not trying to take everything from my house with me.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
RussRamz you said "I would recommend a brake upgrade on F-150 owners who do a lot of towing. I did, and it's night and day."
What did you do to upgrade your brakes?--Frank
I purchased and installed the powerstop Z36 rotors and pads. It was a noticeable improvement.

http://https://www.stage3motorsports.com/K6268-36-2015-F150-Power-Stop-Extreme-Truck-Tow-Brake-Kit-Manual-Brake.html
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Forest , Illinois
I am towing a 27FB Flying Cloud with a 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost Limited. No issues or lacking in power (we have toured Blue Mountains with this set up). Plenty of towing and stopping power.
kjbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckStream View Post
Not a lot left over.

Better go on a diet.
I just replaced my 2016 Expedition Ecoboost with a 2018 F250 Diesel to tow my Serenity 28. Expy only had 1319lbs payload.
Huge difference towing with the F250. 2230 lbs payload (Door sticker). Go bigger.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 2017 XLT SuperCrew 3.5 Ecoboost max tow with 36 gallon tank. 1740lbs of payload. I pull 28’ AS and have no problem. For added stability I put on Propride hitch and I can drive in traffic and wind and feel totally in control. I am considering putting on a heavier braking system.

As an everyday driver it is great! I get about 22 mpg on the road (not towing). I use my vehicle as a professional real estate appraiser. I live in WI where we can get ugly roads. It cuts through snow very very well. Very good on ice in full time 4WD. And it is a very comfortable ride.

I also would consider the F250 V8 gas if you don’t want diesel. I saw the Gauntlet test and it did very very well. Granted the diesel is a beast, but it also costs 9,000 more. Understand the F250 is a really big pickup. But would definitely be able to carry payload. But as an everyday driver? It would be expensive to drive with lower mpg.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have a 2017 XLT SuperCrew 3.5 Ecoboost max tow with 36 gallon tank. 1740lbs of payload. I pull 28’ AS and have no problem. For added stability I put on Propride hitch and I can drive in traffic and wind and feel totally in control. I am considering putting on a heavier braking system.

As an everyday driver it is great! I get about 22 mpg on the road (not towing). I use my vehicle as a professional real estate appraiser. I live in WI where we can get ugly roads. It cuts through snow very very well. Very good on ice in full time 4WD. And it is a very comfortable ride.

I also would consider the F250 V8 gas if you don’t want diesel. I saw the Gauntlet test and it did very very well. Granted the diesel is a beast, but it also costs 9,000 more. Understand the F250 is a really big pickup. But would definitely be able to carry payload. But as an everyday driver? It would be expensive to drive with lower mpg.
Glad your happy with your set up. I loved my F150 EB. I just drove from Austin to Montana, via Yellowstone with our F250 6.7D pulling our 28'FC. No doubt the F150EB is capable of pulling the 28'. I will just say, there is no comparison when it comes to handling and braking of the two TV's. The 3/4T is much heavier, longer, bigger payload, and when you set "Auto on cruise with Auto Engine Brake" mode, you just sit back and go through the Rocky Mountains without hardly touching the gas or brake pedal much at all. If you haven't experienced this, you won't quite understand the difference. I loved my F150EB and it did a great job with my 25 AS's and was a great daily driver, cheaper to operate, etc.., but the F250 6.7 is a much more capable beast, bigger payload, and very stable platform for the larger AS's IMHO. It is also more costly to operate, but for the larger AS's, I am sold on the 3/4T or 1T after my experiences.

About the 6.2Gas; my service manager in Austin said he has the same 2017 F250 King Ranch I have but with the 6.2 gas w/ 4x4. He uses it with his 30' Jayco and says he wishes he had got the 6.7 diesel...he only gets 8-9 MPG pulling and said he also really misses engine brake on the diesel.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
My setup is similar to Daquenzer's--2017 F-150, Max Tow, 26 gallon tank, ProPride hitch, International 27FB--and I echo his comments about what a great tow vehicle and daily driver this truck is.

"when you set 'Auto on cruise with Auto Engine Brake' mode, you just sit back and go through the Rocky Mountains without hardly touching the gas or brake pedal much at all."

In Tow/Haul mode, my F-150 does the same thing: pulls uphill without sweating, and uses engine braking in addition to standard braking on downgrades. Perhaps this feature was added since you owned an F-150?
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
We have a 2013 F150 ecoboost with max tow. She has just over 60K on her now. We've towed our 25'FB about 22K miles since we got the truck and trailer. A full 1/3 of our miles on the truck are with the trailer in tow (the truck will track your towing mileage with each trailer). In those 60k miles, we've had a throttle body go out (the day after a 5,000 mile 18 day trip) and a fuel pump go out (before a 1,000 mile trip). The fuel pump was covered under the power train warranty.

We've been very happy with the vehicle. We've pulled up many of Utah's high mountain passes and over the Rockies in Colorado and Wyoming. No problems. Our's auto downshifts in tow/haul mode like others have mentioned.

I will say the last trip to high elevation we made, my mileage was down significantly (Only about 9 mpg (we normally avg about 11 mpg when towing)). But that's an isolated incident (until it happens again).
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
2017 F-150 Lariat w/Max Tow and subtle mods

Here is my setup:

2017 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Sport 4x4 w/Max Tow
- Powerstop Z36 Rotors and Pads (Towing application)
- Timbren SES Bump Stops
- Hellwig rear sway bar
- Equalizer 14k WD hitch

I'm also running 42 psi cold pressure in the OEM tires. With this setup, I don't want or need more. It's fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	313935  
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
My setup is similar to Daquenzer's--2017 F-150, Max Tow, 26 gallon tank, ProPride hitch, International 27FB--and I echo his comments about what a great tow vehicle and daily driver this truck is.

"when you set 'Auto on cruise with Auto Engine Brake' mode, you just sit back and go through the Rocky Mountains without hardly touching the gas or brake pedal much at all."

In Tow/Haul mode, my F-150 does the same thing: pulls uphill without sweating, and uses engine braking in addition to standard braking on downgrades. Perhaps this feature was added since you owned an F-150?
I was referring to experience and solutions from post #99 above. I put 125K+ miles on my EB over 4 years pulling 2 different 25' AS's; a 2008 and then a new 2014. I drive to MT from TX 3500 miles RT, and also from San Diego to MT for 3 years, thru Las Vegas in 118 degree+ heat. I am not challenging the power nor the ability in of the F150 in Tow/Haul mode or manual shifting to control decent with the F150; I did experience engine heating going up the grade from Riverside to Las Vegas a few times and had to slow. That's an issue in very hot weather with the EB Turbo, and not unique to Ford from what I understand. The braking; sure downshifting can control the speed, along with "new better brake pads". No question.

My point is, if you have not driven/experienced the F250D under same conditions, with a larger AS, you won't see the difference. (and may not care either.) The F250 6.7D does this job effortlessly, with more control and stability; That's all I am offering. Many folks here have the F150 EB pulling the larger AS', and are happy; that's great. Just sharing my experience having driven both TV's with several AS's over the years. If I go back to a smaller AS, I would surely consider the F150 EB again.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I was referring to experience and solutions from post #99 above. I put 125K+ miles on my EB over 4 years pulling 2 different 25' AS's; a 2008 and then a new 2014. I drive to MT from TX 3500 miles RT, and also from San Diego to MT for 3 years, thru Las Vegas in 118 degree+ heat. I am not challenging the power nor the ability in of the F150 in Tow/Haul mode or manual shifting to control decent with the F150; I did experience engine heating going up the grade from Riverside to Las Vegas a few times and had to slow. That's an issue in very hot weather with the EB Turbo, and not unique to Ford from what I understand. The braking; sure downshifting can control the speed, along with "new better brake pads". No question.

My point is, if you have not driven/experienced the F250D under same conditions, with a larger AS, you won't see the difference. (and may not care either.) The F250 6.7D does this job effortlessly, with more control and stability; That's all I am offering. Many folks here have the F150 EB pulling the larger AS', and are happy; that's great. Just sharing my experience having driven both TV's with several AS's over the years. If I go back to a smaller AS, I would surely consider the F150 EB again.
If I was retired and touring the country through the Rockies etc I might get a diesel as well (or at least an F250 gas).

What people have to think through is how much and where are they going to be towing. Right now I am still working, and I can't get off for much more than a week or maybe 2 at a time. It is a 3 day drive to the Rockies from where I live. My wife hates driving that far. Most of my towing is in the Midwest on a limited basis. Most of it is within 4 to 8 hours total driving. And if I can get on the road from April to October once a month I'm doing great. And most is within a 4 hour drive of my house.

That makes the F150 Ecoboost a perfect tow vehicle for us. It does the job well, but it doesn't break the bank. It is good for daily driving (which is what I use it for most) and my wife can get into it without a ladder. I wish they would lower the F250 a bit.

No doubt a F250 diesel tows better. Heck a diesel semi-truck tows better.

One has to do a cost benefit analysis. Right now the cost of a diesel is just too high for the benefit I would get from it. My F150 with the Propride hitch does really well. And my cost is about $12,000 less than a similarly equipped diesel F250.

Cheers.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #112

Everett , WA
What's your normal tongue wt on your 25' ?
CTS09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS09 View Post
What's your normal tongue wt on your 25' ?
The new 25's spec at around 835-850lbs...add to that reality; plan on around 900+ depending on if your full of water, and what other stuff you put in front of your AS... Our 28' lists at 900~ but in reality, it was around 1100 when we picked it up and went to the scales...so important to have your rig weighed so you know.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
My 28 has about 950lbs tongue weight loaded. We tend to put heavy items in rear or over axles. Also I carry minimal water.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #115
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I have the XLT 2017 3.5 with tenspeed, with max tow. The XLT has most the gadgets but much more payload.

Love the truck for towing 2017 FC 25a.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
My 28 has about 950lbs tongue weight loaded. We tend to put heavy items in rear or over axles. Also I carry minimal water.
That right there is the reason to get something with more payload. You can travel with full water, full fuel, and a pickup bed full of stuff without worrying. I had to look twice at the payload sticker on my F350 to see if I read it correctly.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That right there is the reason to get something with more payload. You can travel with full water, full fuel, and a pickup bed full of stuff without worrying. I had to look twice at the payload sticker on my F350 to see if I read it correctly.

Sorry, but I don’t see how that is worth 12000 smackers! Expensive water if you ask me.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We’re towing a 28’ International with a 2005 F250 Lariat 8 foot bed. It has 60K on it and the interior and body are pristine. I get 12mpg and really don’t have any issues. Because it’s a 6.0 with known problems I have decided it made sense to bulletproof the truck vice buy a new one. This will be a full cab off bulletproofing ARP head studs, BPD oil system, FASS fuel system, KC turbo, BPD water pump, BPD EGR, Bilstein shocks, Powerstop drilled/slotted truck tow brakes and a bunch of other things. Although pricey, it’s a lot cheaper than a new truck. I’m looking for reliability and performance. I’ll report back on the results.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Sorry, but I don’t see how that is worth 12000 smackers! Expensive water if you ask me.
I narrowed the choice to two trucks: 3 year old F150 and 3 year old F350. Both low mileage trucks in great shape, both V8s. The F350 was a couple grand more. Easy choice and I don’t have to go to the scales or worry about which cabinet the cast iron pan is in or whether I forgot to empty the fresh water. Runs on regular gas too.

I prefer used because we have a good mechanic in the family (a diesel guy too by the way) who checks them out good and maintains them. I’d rather let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #120

Everett , WA
Typical Loaded Tongue Weight? Helps with Payload Estimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratch View Post
I have a 2018 F150 Platinum Package towing a 25 International Signature with the 3.5 EcoBoost. It is the real deal.
As for carrying capacity the Platinum package reduces it, but no problem for me as I'm not trying to take everything from my house with me.
If those of you towing with F150 Eco would also reply with your trailer length and real life tongue weights I'll build a table showing real life tongue weights.
Those who have F150 EB , post your "payload" from the door sticker as well.

This would be interesting to compile into a real data set.

My 2018 F150 EB has a 1557# Cargo Capacity (on the door) and I'm trying to figure out if I could tow a 25 or 27 with any cargo margin. I know an F250 will be fine...but real examples from forum members is a big help in selecting that first Airstream for those who already have a truck.
CTS09 is offline   Reply With Quote