Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That sounds great; what is your "payload" on your F150 and where are you overall when loaded with people, cargo, and tongue weight? Just curious. My F150 pulled my 25' AS very nicely, but it had a very low payload rating...I did not know that until someone pointed it out. I was overloaded by 400lbs every time I traveled...not good.
My payload in 2017 Super Crew XLT is 1740lbs. Probably have about 150lbs with bed hard cover. Not a great deal. But for our use it’s plenty. But that can be wiggled around by putting some weight in the trailer.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
I like your choice but have a hard time finding out how high the vehicle is (dealers not very helpful) my parking is limited to less than 6.8
Can I get in?
I have an F250, 2017 Platinum with FX4. The current generation F150s I've seen with FX4 appear to have the same height. I NEED about 7 feet clearance to get into anything. If the ground is not level, I need more than 7 feet - case in point, I have a steep driveway and can't enter my garage - the garage is dead-on 7 feet.

Hope this helps!
marcesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
My payload sticker is at 1693 lb. My payload consists of my wife and I (approx. 330 lb) plus the hitch (110 lb. 14k Equalizer) and roughly 120 lb. of gear located forward of the axle. Everything else we have is stored in the trailer in collapsible crates running down the center aisle of the trailer. The crates have rug tape on the underside to prevent them from sliding around.

With the Timbrens and bumping the tires to 40 psi cold, I feel very comfortable running over the "should not exceed" payload sticker coupled with the upgraded brakes, I've had zero issues. I tow at 65 mph. max speed and when coupled with the brake upgrade I've not had one harrowing moment. It's one hell of a setup!

Quote:
That sounds great; what is your "payload" on your F150 and where are you overall when loaded with people, cargo, and tongue weight? Just curious. My F150 pulled my 25' AS very nicely, but it had a very low payload rating...I did not know that until someone pointed it out. I was overloaded by 400lbs every time I traveled...not good.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
I bought a 2017 F-150 Platinum 3.5 V6 Ecoboost (minus moonroof) 3.55 RR axle, max trailer tow package. The payload capacity is 1641 lbs or 744 kg. I don't really overload the back too much, but do have a tonneau cover. I've pulled a 25' Flying Cloud without a problem. It pulls better than my previous tv, a 5.7 Tundra.
I was a little concerned that the side mirrors did not extend out, but with the blind spot monitoring that extends to the back of the trailer, it's no problem. The rear back up assist doesn't work as well as I'd like with my Pro-Pride hitch, but that's another thread.
I would recommend this truck. Have had no problems and that seat massage is great on long drives.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #85
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Really sounds like you want a loaded lariat with max tow package.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
We have 2017 f150 ecoboost Platinum and pulling 28 ft airstream. I find it great
Lots of power on the hills. Our mileage to Florida this winter was 24.3 L /100 with trailer and 12.5 without.
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
How many miles must the truck have on it before towing? Looking at a few new ones right now and was curious if it's stated anywhere how much break in the engine needs before towing.
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Break in period

Owner's manual recommends at least 1,000 miles before towing.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
We have 2017 f150 ecoboost Platinum and pulling 28 ft airstream. I find it great
Lots of power on the hills. Our mileage to Florida this winter was 24.3 L /100 with trailer and 12.5 without.
To be sure, you should read the manual and also I suggest checking with your service manager. Many folks say to wait 500 miles before towing. I did this with my 2012 EB F150 when new. With my 2017 F250 6.7L, I pulled a small trailer with my AS "stuff" from TX to OR to pick up our new 28'FC, with less than a 100 miles on it. Dealer service manager told me they break the new engines in pretty good at the factory now before delivering and he did think a break in period was necessary with the new engines.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #90
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Dealer service manager told me they break the new engines in pretty good at the factory now before delivering and he did think a break in period was necessary with the new engines.
Engines are generally run in at the factory, but there is still a benefit in ensuring that in the first 1000 miles or so that you vary the load and speed, don't lug the engine with high loads at very low rpm, and don't use very high rpm.

What we need to remember is that vehicle break-in isn't just about the engine. With towing, one thing to watch for is the rest of the powertrain, including the differential(s). That is what sees a higher load when towing, and those components need to break-in in as well. They don't get run in at the factory in the same way that engines do.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Complete vehicles are run briefly on a dyno to verify operation of all systems. They then are started and stopped as loading unloading and delivery to the dealer requires. That's it, period. The miles you see on the dealer lot is it, period. Break in as owner manual states.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #92

Currently Looking...
Coarsegold , California
2916 Ford F 150 Tow Mode Engine Braking

Hi Everyone,
I have a 34,000 mile 2016 F 150 Eco boost with the max towing package with cargo capacity of 1,468 pounds. It's my my daily driving as well as my tow vehicle. I tow a 27' Eddie Bauer and live in California but travel into Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc. whenever possible. Generally, when I venture out it's with my wife and dog and we usually are gone for 4 or 5 weeks. i love this truck, but I do have a feel concerns. First, when going up a long grade (maybe 6% for 5 or 6 miles) like from Salt Lake City to Park City, the radiator gauge starts reading numbers over the normal mid point. To correct this, and avoid over heating, I usually slow down and drop a gear. Naturally, going uphill with a 27' trailer I'm not trying to keep up with the traffic flow, but I am driving faster then most 18 wheelers. Second On long descents (6%), in Tow Haul mode, upon tapping the brakes, I've experience the engine revving very high and even dropping down to second gear. So often, I find myself have to apply the brakes too often slow my rig down. As I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think the Eco Boost has enough engine compression to control the descent. Also, on my last trip, I noticed my truck brakes oscillating like maybe a over heated warped rotor.
Anyway folks, I thinking now either getting a 2017 or 2018 F250 Diesel. But my hesitation is the day to day driving of the Super Duty is probably not too practical. Or, perhaps a larger block gasoline engine like the 6.2 liter Chevy 1500 (maybe better engine braking).
Thanks for reading and I appreciate all comments !
Backroads58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
Switch to F250 Diesel

I just switched from a '14 F150 3/5 EB. 3:73 Max Tow, Max Payload (1770#) to a '17 F250 6.7 Powerstroke. Very good decision for me. Daily drive about the same, and fuel economy about the same. Just fuel cost is higher. I had the same issues with downhill braking and control with my F150 ~ did fry the front rotors at abut 55K miles.

So far getting 12.5 MPG at 70 mph pulling a 2008 Classic Ltd. 27FB.

Really liked my F150 Platinum, but much happier towing with the F250.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads58 View Post
As I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think the Eco Boost has enough engine compression to control the descent. Also, on my last trip, I noticed my truck brakes oscillating like maybe a over heated warped rotor.
I agree, this is why I would recommend a brake upgrade on F-150 owners who do a lot of towing. I did, and it's night and day. Use your brakes and transmission gearing to control speed, not your engine. Use your brakes for their intended purpose.

As for the suspected "warped" rotor, it's actually caused by uneven brake pad material accumulating on rotors. When your brakes are hot, avoid coming to a complete stop which will burn in patches of brake pad material on your rotor causing that vibration. If possible, when brakes are hot, continue to drive around for several minutes before stopping completely. If you have to stop at a light, stop far back and allow the car to creep forward to keep the vehicle in motion. Modern brake rotors don't warp.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I have a 34,000 mile 2016 F 150 Eco boost with the max towing package with cargo capacity of 1,468 pounds. It's my my daily driving as well as my tow vehicle. I tow a 27' Eddie Bauer and live in California but travel into Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc. whenever possible. Generally, when I venture out it's with my wife and dog and we usually are gone for 4 or 5 weeks. i love this truck, but I do have a feel concerns. First, when going up a long grade (maybe 6% for 5 or 6 miles) like from Salt Lake City to Park City, the radiator gauge starts reading numbers over the normal mid point. To correct this, and avoid over heating, I usually slow down and drop a gear. Naturally, going uphill with a 27' trailer I'm not trying to keep up with the traffic flow, but I am driving faster then most 18 wheelers. Second On long descents (6%), in Tow Haul mode, upon tapping the brakes, I've experience the engine revving very high and even dropping down to second gear. So often, I find myself have to apply the brakes too often slow my rig down. As I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think the Eco Boost has enough engine compression to control the descent. Also, on my last trip, I noticed my truck brakes oscillating like maybe a over heated warped rotor.
Anyway folks, I thinking now either getting a 2017 or 2018 F250 Diesel. But my hesitation is the day to day driving of the Super Duty is probably not too practical. Or, perhaps a larger block gasoline engine like the 6.2 liter Chevy 1500 (maybe better engine braking).
I had similar problems with my 2012 EB pulling my 25' on same grade and also coming out of CA to Vegas and back. I think the 1/2T was matched well with the 25', except for those minor issues. When I went up to my new 28' AS last June, I also upgraded to a new 2017 F250 6.7L, on "wifes request". The new technology including including the engine braking even when in cruise mode is unbelievable! Plus, it is very well matched with longer wheel base and heavier duty components to pulling a 28 or larger. (not to mention payload!)

Many of us who have this model have commented...65mph in cruise at 1500rpms, up/down Rockies with no foot on either pedal...amazing vehicle and matched well for stopping/handling that size AS. As was said, mileage similar to the EB, but fuel and oil changes are way more expensive. i did not look at the 6.2L F250 gasser, but I may take a look when i tire of this one..or go broke!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
l took my 5.0 f150 in for service and got a loaner eco boost 18. what a great driving truck...lighter and faster than mine... very nice though only an stx model.
i especially notived the turbo kick in at lowerthan expected rpm, nice feel.
my truck has plenty of grunt but also gives it up in gas mileage.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
l took my 5.0 f150 in for service and got a loaner eco boost 18. what a great driving truck...lighter and faster than mine... very nice though only an stx model.
i especially notived the turbo kick in at lowerthan expected rpm, nice feel.
my truck has plenty of grunt but also gives it up in gas mileage.
That's how they get you...
davloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Not an EB, but...2018 XLT 5.0 3.73 supercrew. About 1500 pounds payload. E2 WD hitch pulling a 25FB Intl very nicely. One thing I did prior to purchasing the AS was an exhaust swap on the truck. That may have been a mistake as it does get loud, but overall it's a nice combo. I park in a garage at work...6'8". The stock antenna smacked around...swapped for a shorter version, but you could also cut the stock one down about 4 inches as well.

It is just the wife and I and our 10 pound dog. We load a Weber Q1000 grill and a small cooler. Sometimes the bikes...about 25 pounds each. So we're close on payload, but not pushing it. We don't carry much gear as most of our trips are 2 to 5 days so not much is required. We get groceries on the road if needed.

ETA...replaced the stock mirrors with telescoping tow mirrors. They are MUCH better.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
In regards to the increasing temperatures going up hill, there's a few things you can do. 1) Consider running in a lower gear even if there's sufficient power. This will circulate the coolant faster with a bit more cooling. 2) You're probably aware not to run the A/C. If you really want to keep climbing at pace, you can resort to running the cabin heat and open windows. 3) Not sure if Ford's tow package already has an additional cooler, but you can always augment it further by increasing the size of the aux cooler, or add in one.

For engine braking.
1) Don't be afraid to rev the engine for additional engine braking. The ecoboost is a relatively smaller and efficient engine, meaning less drag. So it's not untrue that it's engine braking ability is not as great as some other motors, including the 5.0 V8 gasser which has larger displacement and 2 more cylinders worth of drag. Keep the rpms high to maximize braking. 2nd gear is not a problem, she's just pumping air.

Check out the TFL Ike Gauntlet test towing 9k lbs down a 7% grade. They counted 10 brake applications. Not unreasonable as the Silverado also needed as many. Some of the better engine braking trucks need something like 3-8 (F150 V8 6-speed needed 3). But 9klbs down a 7% long grade is pretty darn extreme, and you should have sufficient braking for anything less. See how they let her rev - https://youtu.be/0zSB2VYCYr0?t=182

So the F150 3.5 EB has an advantage in power going up, while the V8 has an advantage going down. Choose your poison.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
RussRamz you said "I would recommend a brake upgrade on F-150 owners who do a lot of towing. I did, and it's night and day."
What did you do to upgrade your brakes?--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote