Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Goffstown , New Hampshire
For those with steep driveways (with pics)

OK, I am probably making a bigger deal of this that I should, but in the interest of safety, I'm concerned with backing up my new airstream (when I get it, that is) up my driveway due to the the pitch. Now what I thought was easily 20 degrees turned out to be 8 to 9 after a gauge measurement.
At the top I have tons of room to the right, it's just getting it up there.
I've got a 2009 f150 and I'll be getting the weight distribution hitch, etc..., so I'm feeling good about the basic tow. We're looking at a 25' trailer - 9300 tow capacity vs. 7300 loaded trailer - so should be OK there (need to take it easy though).
From a clearance standpoint, I think it'll be close but I think I'll be OK. If that's an issue I can get a drop hitch.
From the truck side, does anyone have experience pushing a 7000 trailer up an incline in reverse, and if so do you think it's basically a non-issue??
I'm thinking once I do it a bunch of times I'll be OK with it (I do it with my 2000 pound pop-up all the time and at first I was nervous but now it's cake). Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway 1.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	87509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway 2.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	87510  

Bobdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
a beautiful home

Your place is a beauty! I think the push question is a non concern from the looks of the grade. I have serious thoughts about the mail box....coming at it from either direction. One of my favorite sayings is....if you say to yourself "I think I can make it".....you probably can't. I hate to see a scratched or dented side panel on you beauty.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdes View Post
OK, I am probably making a bigger deal of this that I should, but in the interest of safety, I'm concerned with backing up my new airstream (when I get it, that is) up my driveway due to the the pitch. Now what I thought was easily 20 degrees turned out to be 8 to 9 after a gauge measurement.
At the top I have tons of room to the right, it's just getting it up there.
I've got a 2009 f150 and I'll be getting the weight distribution hitch, etc..., so I'm feeling good about the basic tow. We're looking at a 25' trailer - 9300 tow capacity vs. 7300 loaded trailer - so should be OK there (need to take it easy though).
From a clearance standpoint, I think it'll be close but I think I'll be OK. If that's an issue I can get a drop hitch.
From the truck side, does anyone have experience pushing a 7000 trailer up an incline in reverse, and if so do you think it's basically a non-issue??
I'm thinking once I do it a bunch of times I'll be OK with it (I do it with my 2000 pound pop-up all the time and at first I was nervous but now it's cake). Thanks.
From the photo, the incline does not look difficult at all and certainly, nothing your rig can't handle. By the heading, I was expecting a serious grade of epic proportions... . Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, just be careful.

Looks like you've had experience backing at least a pop-up - concept is the same but with a much larger load. Just take your time until you've gotten use to how the rear of the 'Stream moves and how much when you turn. Have someone behind the Airstream as your backing so that you don't run into anything...

Most definitely, at a minimum, get a weight distribution hitch.

And, welcome to the forums!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I agree on the grade. I thinks that you'll be just fine. Just take your time.

I also agree on the mail box. If it were mine, I would definitely relocate the mail box at least 10' further from the driveway. I sure would hate to put a ding in my $50,000 Airstream with my $12 mail box.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
That really doesn't look that steep. mine is a LOT steeper. (not to mention, it curves like an "S" )

trailer is lighter, though...5800 gvw on the tag. Truck isn't terribly "stout", either...but in low range, it can push it up there no problem. If your 150 has 4x4, I'm sure you'll have no problems. (even if it doesn't...still probably ok.)

PS
I see you're in NH...you should come up and see us next weekend, in E. Wakefield. Tip a few w/ the NEU...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Red face Think before you back

I learned one thing from experience backing up a hill somewhat steeper than yours.
-Consider the effect of the raising of the trailer axles in relation to the TV axles before you start up the hill.-
I was in a state park in Idaho. We were assigned a very nice site that was elevated above the road. It had a steep approach but was level at the top. I was towing a non A/S 21 foot trailer. It had a 6300 # max GVW, but was not loaded anywhere near that. I was using a Equal-I-Zer brand hitch with a Max rating of 6000 Lbs.
I had quite a bit of trouble getting traction starting up the hill even with low range 4WD. However finally made it OK. I blamed in on loose gravel. When we were ready to leave for home, I noticed as we were hooking up, that both WD bars were bent slightly but noticeably upward. It was then that it dawned on me what I had done. As the trailer was going up the slope, it was as though I were jacking up the rear of the trailer, causing the bars of the hitch to try to lift the back of the TV off the ground. In retrospect the obvious thing to have done was to disconnect the bars before starting to back up the hill. I turned both bars over so I would still have sway control and replaced the hitch when I got home.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

POI....It's much easier backing up over your left shoulder/mirror.
I agree, move the MB and watch the bush and the stone wall.

When in doubt............ gooooo slooooo
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
It looks like it won't be a problem for you. My drive is a bit steeper and there are shrubs on both sides and then the house. I can back my 28' A/S up there with my GMC 1/2 ton with no problem and I don't have to use 4 wheel drive. I forget whether the 25 is a tandem axel or not - my 28 is. I've found if I align the back edge of the rear bumper on the trailer with the left side of the drive (the side where the rig is) before I start the turn I can put her right in there and then it's just a question of when to straighten her out. Sometimes I have to pull forward 1/2 a truck length - but I can do it essentially on one go - and I'm a newbie with trailers so you shouldn't have a problem. If you check my profile I believe there's a pic of the trailer in the driveway. Also my street is narrow and I have a huge tree on one side and a telephone pole on the other - I had to get it right! By contrast you have almost clear sailing. Don't hesitate to stop and get out and walk around the rig if you need to be sure that you are in the clear and aligned the way you want it - I can't always tell by the mirrors.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Depending on the model some brake controllers do not like to go backwards up a hill and apply voltage to the brakes making it harder than it should be to back up an incline.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Opps pic is no longer on my profile so here it is and also a winter shot with the truck in front - No, I don't back in on the ice in the winter!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0060.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	87516  
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
That looks scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
Opps pic is no longer on my profile so here it is and also a winter shot with the truck in front - No, I don't back in on the ice in the winter!)
That does look like a challenge, especially that big tree. You have nerves of steel.http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Come see me , I will show ya a Hill !!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have to Hook a 4X4 to my TV to get to the House !!!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Goffstown , New Hampshire
Thanks everyone, great points and advice.
W7ts, maybe you are correct on disconnecting the sway bars when backing up. I'll check into that.
Yes, the mailbox will definitely get moved (the wife mentioned a new one anyways - good time to move it then!).
Pudentane, you have it MUCH worse than me.
Thanks for the confidence!
Bob
Bobdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Take the w/d bars off before you back. Have your wife watch the back bumper of the trailer to make sure it does not dig into the asphalt. If it does, you may even need to have a larger drop hitch just for backing in the drive. My wife was so busy looking out for the trees the first time I backed my 31 into my uphill drive, I left 15 foot gouges in the drive before I stopped listening to her telling me everything was alright. You could also throw some 2 by 12 planks in the low spot next to the curb, if you do not want to change hitches. I carry an extra 6 inch drop hitch in the back of the truck, which has proved useful in some state parks.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Put a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle and...

Hi,
The Prev Owner of my Airstream lives in the mountains and has a curvy-steep driveway. He put a hitch on the front of his truck and pushed the Airstream up into its parking area. Would have been an impossible backing job (in my opinion). Might work as a solution for your driveway too. ???
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Robertsunrus....

So you think yours is a challange......

Thought Bob would be here by now to offer his advise, he would be the real expert.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
That place is lovely.I think you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. That is not steep. Your TV should have no problem.
Just take it slow,don't let anyone rush ya. Invest in a couple of those GMRS two way radios, use a helper, they are cheap and will save ya from denting your AS like I did (I still cry when I look at it) . GO SLOW till ya get the hang of it.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
It's just another little challenge

Thanks for the empathy and compliments. I don't have nerves of steel I just view it as one more little challenge/problem to be solved. It's not rocket science - the trick is to take as much time as is needed and get out of the truck and look as many times as I need to - even if I'm blocking the street. And when they see it's a woman driving, anybody I'm holding up is sympathetic - or maybe they are just sympathetic because they are glad they aren't doing it. Once I'd done it I had confidence that I could do it successfully and confidence helps a lot - not over confidence mind you - just knowing that I can do it with a minimum of fuss and feathers.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Here's what I get to deal with. My road is 10 feet wide with trees on both sides for 1/4 mile, before I get to what you see in the picture. I have to turn the whole rig around in my neighbors driveway and then back up a short, steep hill for about 100', then go forward 300', and finally back it up into our driveway as seen here. The first time it took about 1-1/2 hours. The second time, about ten minutes. Experience is a great teacher!
Yours looks like a super highway to me.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 023.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	87566  
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote