Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
NOPE JOE
Wasn't you. I know that maybe was a little harsh. But I am trying to get across is, WHAT'S THE HURRY?? Start a little earlier and dont try an make up time on da road. The rig I was refering to was way over the speed limit and the fishtailing of that 34fter I know was not felt by the driver because of the Hensley. But the fishtailing was there. This guy in my opinon was way beyond the braking capability of his TV and I feel was driving above his capability and the traffic. HE endangered himself and his passenger and others on the highway because he was in a hurry to get where he was going. I remember the truck and the Wb numbers off the trailer But I will not post them here,he knows who his is.He probably never heard of AIR FORUMS anyway.
Sorry Joe I didnt know ya had a wreck. I most time dont read theads that are 5 or 6 pages old when I notice them.
I, being retired now after 45 yrs as an over the road truck driver know the limits when it comes to towing.I have seen so many Campers and MoHo's scattered in pieces over the highways ,as well as big rigs,I care not to even to try count how many,let alone ever see again.
Please slow down just a little,so I get to talk to each of you not read about you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
NOPE JOE
Wasn't you. I know that maybe was a little harsh. But I am trying to get across is, WHAT'S THE HURRY?? Start a little earlier and dont try an make up time on da road. The rig I was refering to was way over the speed limit and the fishtailing of that 34fter I know was not felt by the driver because of the Hensley. But the fishtailing was there. This guy in my opinon was way beyond the braking capability of his TV and I feel was driving above his capability and the traffic. HE endangered himself and his passenger and others on the highway because he was in a hurry to get where he was going. I remember the truck and the Wb numbers off the trailer But I will not post them here,he knows who his is.He probably never heard of AIR FORUMS anyway.
Sorry Joe I didnt know ya had a wreck. I most time dont read theads that are 5 or 6 pages old when I notice them.
I, being retired now after 45 yrs as an over the road truck driver know the limits when it comes to towing.I have seen so many Campers and MoHo's scattered in pieces over the highways ,as well as big rigs,I care not to even to try count how many,let alone ever see again.
Please slow down just a little,so I get to talk to each of you not read about you.
Atta boy Mike! The vast majority of accidents are not the result of anything mechanical, but rather driver action/inaction. And most of those which are iniated by mechanical issues could have resulted no accident if the driver knwe what to do, ie. escape routes, proper speed and handling of the vehicle (no panic), when to be on the road, and when not to be, speed relative to conditions and equipment, etc.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Where is this going and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Atta boy Mike! The vast majority of accidents are not the result of anything mechanical, but rather driver action/inaction. And most of those which are iniated by mechanical issues could have resulted no accident if the driver knwe what to do, ie. escape routes, proper speed and handling of the vehicle (no panic), when to be on the road, and when not to be, speed relative to conditions and equipment, etc.
I am having a little trouble finding helpfulness or for that matter usefulness in the direction this thread is taking.

The OP came on asking for help with a towing issue and got some useful feedback.

Then another member posted his experiences with a serious accident.

Now as I read where this is going, it seems to me that we have people saying that whatever happened to those individuals and for that matter nearly anyone who has a towing accident, it was there own darned fault for not knowing what they were doing.

I see very little positive contribution from that.

If you want to help, offer some tips or procedures that you feel would help, rather than list things you think might have caused the problem with nothing but supposition and guesses about what might have really happened.

So I certainly don't second the attaboy.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Again, we aren't talking about that Joe. I am speaking from my experience investigating product liability cases and my extensive business highway travel, (albeit not in a big rig) over the last 27 years. I have seen sooooo many things with drivers, some running solo, some with all kinds of RVs, and perhaps worst of all, commercial vehicles towing construction materials/equipment.

I worry MUCH more about the other guy, than I do about any hitch, any brand or type of tire, or any apparently substandard frame on my rig.
That's one of the biggest reasons I drive slower, beside better control of my vehicle, I want them pulling away from me when they make a mistake.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Backing Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
... Some day I'll get her to back the trailer more than 4'. I point out the heart attack potential— how would she get my corpse home if she had to back out of the emergency room parking lot? So far that logic hasn't worked. I have to admit that the first time she backs the trailer into a tight spot I will probably need lots of meds.

When I see some guy who looks like he's got about 5 minutes left and his wife who looks in much better condition, and then I see him get behind the wheel, that makes me nervous about being on the same road. I suppose I'll be there some day and it will be hard to give up the wheel entirely and pay extra for pull throughs all the time...
Gene
Gene, I feel your wife's pain. I still swallow hard when backing into a space... but after 5 years am finally getting those "delusions of adequacy". I'm now regularly doing it neatly and perfectly with only one try while being watched like by a crowd . Every once in a while I still get a case of acute cranial-rectal inversion and have to make multiple stabs at getting it done right. Key thing if I'm having a bad time is to slow down, STOP worrying and THINK. I draw a mental picture of where the trailer's tires should go, then back them over that line. If there are trees, garbage cans, marker poles or other obstructions I'll stop, jump out, walk around the back of the trailer and assure myself that I'm good 3-4 times if that's what it takes to make me feel comfortable. (the 7 people behind me waiting to get to their spots... problematic)

The key is practice in a "no sweat" location like an empty parking lot. In this economy there are lots of closed big box stores available. Use kids sidewalk chalk to make a camping spot. Plastic bags filled with leaves would be good "trees" or other obstructions to practice with.

BTW - I always move the picnic table to the edge of the site just to know I have 6 feet to play with if I'm a little off target.

Take her out for a practice session or two (bribery in the form of jewelry is an option).

About getting your corpse home? The funeral director will handle that.

Best always, Paula
Old 11-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #86
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

About getting your corpse home? The funeral director will handle that.
But I'm trying to save money.

On another front, driver error is easy to say if you are inclined to believe that. I think there are a lot of variables in any accident and determining the cause(s) can be affected by pre-judgment. There can be a series of influences and perhaps a whole lot of things have to go wrong in a specific situation. I'm with Ken.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #87
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Airstream Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by william Haym View Post
The one thing I will say, if an airstream trailer is set up properly, hopefully these situations don't occur often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by william Haym View Post
If you have seen airstream trailers being towed on an obsticle course ( promoted by airstream ), they seem to handle the road better than most trailers.
However, things do happen!!!
I'm glad every one is okay!!
Do you think setup had anything to do with this???

Looks like a straight and level road.
See post #76 ???? but this is a Chev.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #88
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Do you think setup had anything to do with this???

It would be the first question: Hitch type, the rigging, and verified per certified weight scale.

Takes very little to upset a TV. Size & weight of same are almost irrelevant. The tail wags the dog. Have seen much larger pickups upset by much smaller trailers.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishtailing