Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

One problem I see is the hitch had only half of the recommended anti-sway bars on it.

For trailers over about 25 feet, two anti-sway bars commonly are recommended by the manufacturers for proper sway control. The pictured hitch seems to have only one.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Interesting. I've not seen that recommendation in any REESE literature.
The A/S dealer recommended, installed and configured the single friction sway bar/WD bars for that rig.

Regardless, do I think another friction bar would have made a difference in this scenario?
Without a doubt, no.

You'd be better off tossing some salt over your shoulder, before heading out, than futzing with that little friction bar on your hitch.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Interesting. I've not seen that recommendation in any REESE literature.
The A/S dealer recommended, installed and configured the single friction sway bar/WD bars for that rig.

Regardless, do I think another friction bar would have made a difference in this scenario?
Without a doubt, no.

You'd be better off tossing some salt over your shoulder, before heading out, than futzing with that little friction bar on your hitch.
Sway controls, either friction or torsion, are great. One has a brain, so to speak and the other doesn't.

Deciding, in this case what would happen if 2 friction sway controls were used instead of one.

That really, isn't the issue. The issue is "what allowed the sway to start in the first place"?

If a sway doesn't start, then most likely, the rigging is correct. If it does start, then there is always a reason.

About 85 percent of loss of control accidents, can be avoided, which has been proven over and over again.

The other 15 percent, are simply in an "unknown cause" category.

The causes can be from many things, including blowout's.

Most often, about two thirds of those losses, were related to improper rigging.

I will post a photo, later today, of a roll over that's in our shop at this time. The cause in this case, was simply "panic".

Andy
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I would agree, there wasn't a single factor that contributed to this failure- but more likely, a combination of several all happening at exactly the same time... a perfect storm

Doing all the things we debate, here on the forums, simply reduces (some more than others) the percentages of this 'perfect storm' happening.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
loss of control

Another loss of control roll over.

This time, the cause was "panic".

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	114833  
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #62
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
I would agree, there wasn't a single factor that contributed to this failure- but more likely, a combination of several all happening at exactly the same time... a perfect storm

Doing all the things we debate, here on the forums, simply reduces (some more than others) the percentages of this 'perfect storm' happening.
Joe,

I didn't know that you had this accident, I'm certainly glad to hear that you and family are all OK.

Your pictures are certainly a reminder to all to be as dilligent as possible with our equipment selection, rigging, awareness, and all conditions that make for a great AS day or a near miss.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Thanks Gary,
Some bad bumps and bruises, is all.
This occurred May 2007
Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looking at these pictures again, I noticed what looks to be no rearward tilt of the ball. Is this an illusion or maybe it got knocked forward on the top?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5552.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	114876  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hensley Oh!

I met a nice woman named Karen recently - she and her husband had just gotten their "new to them" Airstream, to replace one that had rolled with a Hensley!

I only have this story second hand, so take that into consideration. She said that when they'd gotten their Ha-Ha they were told it required no maintenance beyond lubrication. Some small part - a washer or something like it - had worn out causing the hitch to drop on one side, and as Joe observed, one thing led to another - a perfect storm.

She also told me that as a result of their accident and perhaps a few others, Hensley was now recommending periodically taking the hitch apart and inspecting it for wear on the components. Supposedly they even have a rebuild kit.

It makes sense. All mechanical points of contact have some friction and experience some wear. Plus weather can have a nasty effect too.

Moral? Everything wears out sooner or later. Vigilance is better than crossed fingers and trust.

Happy trails, and Be Safe Out There.

Paula
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Elzavb,

Welcome to the forums! As you can see, regrettably, some topics on this forum inspire the worst of well-intending folk.

I have no engineering degree, have never employed a “super-hitch”, and do not claim to have any special trailer towing secrets.

I do believe that something is not optimal about your setup. Any trailer that sways enough to cause one to apply braking while traveling straight on a normal highway needs some attention. I would start with the trailer tires and axels. Make sure the tires are inflated to a safe pressure and have no bulges. The axles used on our trailers sag over time, and may change in alignment. After that, the trailer will tow best when nearly level going down the road. You are correct by having most of the added weight of your gear in front of the axels. In short, any anti-sway device is meant to help keep you in control when unforeseeable road/traffic hazards pop up. But, the trailer has to travel down the road correctly to start with.

Again, welcome to the forums. Lot of folks with lots of knowledge here. Just use what suits you.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Wow!!!! These pix and this discussion really intimidate and frighten me! We have a fiver and are thinking of switching to an AS. We tow our fiver with a 3500 dually Ram, and an air hitch; we have never had any instability issues-- only WEIGHT issues....the thing weighs 15K!
I have towed a horse trailer before and in the past have avoided the "TT" RV because of a negative issues with "horror stories" and personal experiences of towing. But these pix are amazing. Very happy that all survived. We drive on many bumpy roads to see our kids in Calif and the heavy mass of the fiver keeps it from jumping all over the road-as well as the hitch placement of course.
The AS mass is considerably less and therefore more vulnerable to being thrown "off line" by road conditions. What then are the conclusions regarding this terrible accident? Speed? Road? Hitch? Weight placement in the AS--towing balance? Tires? Thanks to all for your input.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Don't be put off by what you see here. Many airstreams have been towed many miles with no more issues than any other trailer.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Travel-trailering is what it is.

The smaller, lighter units have much larger margins for error.

Our big rigs, on the other hand, require special and careful attention.

I will say, I have absolutely no qualms about RV’ing after the totaled '05 Classic incident. Of course, I’m now armed with a Pivot Point Projection hitch, TPMS, regular CAT weighs, Sherline tongue scale, rear trailer camera, balanced running gear, a healthy respect for the 65mph speed rating on our ST tires, and 12GA Mossberg.. er, actually the Mossberg is a different type of insurance...
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What Finalcut Joe said. Ditto.

Being AWARE of what you should do, then actually doing it are the two most important things that will keep you safe.

I often have trouble sleeping the night before I start on a trip, so I tend to get tired early on a long haul. I make it a habit to pull over and take a brief nap at about 3 hours into the trip. That, followed by a cuppa coffee really helps me tow at full alertness. I've come to the dreadful realization that I'm also not as young as I think, so I don't try to complete 500+ miles in a day unless I break it into three sessions with two long naps, or have someone else who is experienced with me. My sister does have a fast learning curve, she wants me to do congested areas, but will cheerfully spell me for an hour or two in "country" driving.

Taking it easy and sharing the driving can really help. My personal rant is about those wives who sit in the passenger seat and never tow because it intimidates them. D'oh. Imagine having to learn when your husband clutches his chest and says "honey it may just be indigestion but..."

LEARN DAMMIT!
  • but I've never driven a big truck. Well even your husband had a first time experience at that. Get behind the wheel and drive it. Practice in an empty parking lot without a trailer. Drive it in the country. If you do a new thing long enough you'll get good at it. Once you've mastered the truck start with the trailer. Baby steps, but just do it.
  • My husband is a back-seat driver and keeps yelling. Got Duct Tape? Duct tape his hands together and put another piece over his mouth.
  • I'm scared. Of course you are. Have kids? You weren't scared when you went into labor the first time? Scared is an excuse not a reason.
  • He won't let me. (Seven or eight sarcastic remarks have been deleted.) Convince him. Or you'll have to choose between being a Rivette when he's gone, or marrying a better model after that heart attack 100 miles from the nearest town with a hospital takes him out. There are plenty of members right here who've had to decide between selling the Airstream and letting the other partner take over the driving because of health issues. In the END most choose to have "the little woman" learn to tow. Do it now, when it's not a painful choice.
As a fulltimer who spends about 30 weeks in one condo campground every year where most of the members are over 50... I volunteer to help 4 or 5 women every year learn to tow. I've now also towed 5 RV's home where they'll be put on sale because camping days are over. In 4 of the 5 cases they could have kept on camping if the wife had taken over the driving. And I'm not talking about 85 year olds. All but one were under 65. The brutal fact is that women generally outlive men by 7 years and in most marriages the husband is 2 to 7 years older than his wife.

I truly believe that men seem to have some genetic aptitude for towing and backing - or else women have more active imaginations that lead them to imagine bad outcomes. But many women can pick it up just as fast as a man. Most of the rest can learn once we're motivated enough... and of course there are some men who have no business towing, ever.

Paula

Tags
fishtailing