Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Gee whiz OTRA.
Does it always have to be so complicated.
It seems most folk travel with full water and propane. Lowers center of gravity.
Propane in case it gets cold at the overnight stop and runs fridge.
Just saying
Tom
It's not really all that complicated.
It actually depends on the configuration of your trailer.
Most folks do travel as you say, but some folks don't, it all depends on the design of their trailer. A full freshwater tank located at the rear of the trailer will reduce tongue weight considerably. Reducing tow vehicle rear axle load which effects the total rig stability= sway. Tail wagging the dog.

With our Single axle Safari when traveling with the full fresh tank we would load most of our heavier items upfront to compensate for the imbalance. We would then change the loading as we used the fresh water.👍

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
The best solution for bikes is a receiver on the front of my truck. A Swagman two bike carrier sits low enough that vision is not restricted. Being low to the ground makes it easier to load and unload. When not biking I can mount a storage carrier on the front of the truck.

I do have a receiver on the rear of my trailer but seldom use it. If I do it is not for bikes...just a carrier with light weight items that are bulky. Empty water cans, rugs, ropes, etc.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
In almost 20K miles of towing our AS, I can only think of one time where we got trailer sway. I don't really recall the specifics, but the F150's trailer sway mode engaged and we recovered without incident. Come to think of it, that may have been while we were towing a Uhaul, and not the AS. I really don't remember.

Now, what we experience commonly is after we have been out several days boondocking and have not dumped our wastewater and no longer have a full freshwater tank, is the water in the tanks will start to slosh around in the tanks when driving. You can definitely feel that through the steering wheel and how the truck rides. However, that in generally a linear motion and not side to side.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #64

Currently Looking...
Punta Gorda , Florida
Camping World sells all sorts of receivers. I bought a short one and welded it on top of my TV's receiver for the bike rack.

My TV at the time was a Class A pulling a toad. May not be enough room on a TV pulling an AS.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #65
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
OTRA15 (Peter) provided some good reading links. Here's one more worth reading. Again, the lives you save ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...is-155778.html

All the best,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote