Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Gee whiz OTRA.
Does it always have to be so complicated.
It seems most folk travel with full water and propane. Lowers center of gravity.
Propane in case it gets cold at the overnight stop and runs fridge.
Just saying
Tom
Just sayin' that yes it is different -- not complicated -- for particular trailers, maybe just smaller single-axle ones? I promise you that when our FC20 is lightly loaded, and the fresh water tank is full hanging right at the stern, she is prone to sway when a truck goes by, or a strong cross-wind.

The "most folks" broad brush approach simply does not represent good advice in certain situations. Such generalities simply don't work everywhere -- one size does not fit all. With all the newcomers here such advice can expose some folks to unnecessary risk IMO.

Just sayin' . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just sayin' that yes it is different -- not complicated -- for particular trailers, maybe just smaller single-axle ones? I promise you that when our FC20 is lightly loaded, and the fresh water tank is full hanging right at the stern, she is prone to sway when a truck goes by, or a strong cross-wind.

The "most folks" broad brush approach simply does not represent good advice in certain situations. Such generalities simply don't work everywhere -- one size does not fit all. With all the newcomers here such advice can expose some folks to unnecessary risk IMO.

Just sayin' . . .
If you have to empty the fresh water tank to tow it something is wrong with your setup. Should tow just fine either way.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:56 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Agree -- it's the "lightly loaded" trailer, which rarely happens. [Low tongue weight as a result] The main point was that broad brush statements general statements about tank % and loading are not always accurate.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Gee whiz OTRA.
It seems most folk travel with full water and propane. Lowers center of gravity.
Just saying
Tom
On the contrary, what he pointed it isn't complicated, and for those who may not have considered it and just read other parts of the thread, traveling with the incorrect tank full can have more of an adverse affect than a rear bike rack.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs up

Quote:
Gee whiz OTRA.
Just saying
Tom
It's not really all that complicated.
It actually depends on the configuration of your trailer.
Most folks do travel as you say, but some folks don't, it all depends on the design of their trailer. A full freshwater tank located at the rear of the trailer will reduce tongue weight considerably. Reducing tow vehicle rear axle load which effects the total rig stability= sway. Tail wagging the dog.

With our Single axle Safari when traveling with the full fresh tank we would load most of our heavier items upfront to compensate for the imbalance. We would then change the loading as we used the fresh water.👍

Bob
🇱🇷

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
The best solution for bikes is a receiver on the front of my truck. A Swagman two bike carrier sits low enough that vision is not restricted. Being low to the ground makes it easier to load and unload. When not biking I can mount a storage carrier on the front of the truck.

I do have a receiver on the rear of my trailer but seldom use it. If I do it is not for bikes...just a carrier with light weight items that are bulky. Empty water cans, rugs, ropes, etc.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
In almost 20K miles of towing our AS, I can only think of one time where we got trailer sway. I don't really recall the specifics, but the F150's trailer sway mode engaged and we recovered without incident. Come to think of it, that may have been while we were towing a Uhaul, and not the AS. I really don't remember.

Now, what we experience commonly is after we have been out several days boondocking and have not dumped our wastewater and no longer have a full freshwater tank, is the water in the tanks will start to slosh around in the tanks when driving. You can definitely feel that through the steering wheel and how the truck rides. However, that in generally a linear motion and not side to side.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #64

Currently Looking...
Punta Gorda , Florida
Camping World sells all sorts of receivers. I bought a short one and welded it on top of my TV's receiver for the bike rack.

My TV at the time was a Class A pulling a toad. May not be enough room on a TV pulling an AS.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #65
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Virginia near , Washington, D.C.
OTRA15 (Peter) provided some good reading links. Here's one more worth reading. Again, the lives you save ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...is-155778.html

All the best,
Rich

Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote