Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,547
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
What do you mean by "had to use the brake controller"? Don't you always have the trailer brake controller engaged when towing the Airstream? How is it even possible not to have the brake controller operate automatically when you touch the tow vehicle brake pedal?
I think what was meant was he manually engaged the trailer breaks with the squeezes on the controllers the put more breaking on the trailer

i.e. trailer breaks full and foot on the gas to pull the rig back straight.
__________________

GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #30
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
What is the proper way to adjust the sway control?

Attachment 309674
If I remember correctly, that friction-type sway control is adjusted to the tightness you can get using just your forefinger.

Not real scientific, but it works.
__________________

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 23' International
Dana Point , CA
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
that's correct. Had to squeeze the brake controller to stop the sway
__________________
RickP
RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
 
Adiredneck's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg & Cambridge , Mississippi / New York
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
Images: 7
First, get thee one of these:

https://sherline.com/product/sherlin...-weight-scale/

Before you hitch and drive, with full fresh water tank and battle-rattle, beer and skittles on board - weigh your tongue. It needs to be at LEAST 10% - 15% of trailer weight. You determine trailer weight by going to a truck stop and weighing on a CAT scale. Weigh with TT/TV unhitched for actual independent weights of both (tongue weight should be 10-15% of that , and then hitch and re-weigh (lets you know how much weight your WD hitch is redistributing.

Get a front hitch receiver installed on the Yukon. You can get them at etrailer or elsewhere, and a bike rack to fit the receiver. Bugs on the bikes beats fishtailing down a mountain. Caveat: Weigh your rig at the CAT scale first, with all equipment you bring camping. I'm betting between gear, passengers and trailer, you are pretty close to maxing your GVW on the Jimmy - *do not exceed GVW or gross axle weight or bad things happen!* Do this before adding 200 lbs of hitch, receiver rack and bikes to front.

Lastly - run your truck tires at max pressure. Soft tires can precipitate sway and also catastrophic tire failure.

Your reaction with the brake controller was perfect, but the experience was a warning shot over the bow that something is seriously out of whack with your rig, and, if not fixed, will happen again. Be safe!
__________________
"Hot meals, cold beer, dry bed & flush toilet - everything I look for in a wilderness experience..."
Adiredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #33
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,998
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Aside from the safety aspect of sway, if something were to happen, you likely would have insurance issues for loading outside Mfg. recommended specs. Same thing can happen with overloading your TV should something happen. Always best to check out the specs; don't adjust outside Mfg. recommended specs; you may be on the hook without insurance coverage....I doubt any of the "experts" who may advise otherwise, would stand up in court for you should something happen...safety...my 2 cents.
Wrong
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #34
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,998
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
First, get thee one of these:

https://sherline.com/product/sherlin...-weight-scale/

Before you hitch and drive, with full fresh water tank and battle-rattle, beer and skittles on board - weigh your tongue. It needs to be at LEAST 10% - 15% of trailer weight. You determine trailer weight by going to a truck stop and weighing on a CAT scale. Weigh with TT/TV unhitched for actual independent weights of both (tongue weight should be 10-15% of that , and then hitch and re-weigh (lets you know how much weight your WD hitch is redistributing.

Get a front hitch receiver installed on the Yukon. You can get them at etrailer or elsewhere, and a bike rack to fit the receiver. Bugs on the bikes beats fishtailing down a mountain. Caveat: Weigh your rig at the CAT scale first, with all equipment you bring camping. I'm betting between gear, passengers and trailer, you are pretty close to maxing your GVW on the Jimmy - *do not exceed GVW or gross axle weight or bad things happen!* Do this before adding 200 lbs of hitch, receiver rack and bikes to front.

Lastly - run your truck tires at max pressure. Soft tires can precipitate sway and also catastrophic tire failure.

Your reaction with the brake controller was perfect, but the experience was a warning shot over the bow that something is seriously out of whack with your rig, and, if not fixed, will happen again. Be safe!
TT tires at max pressure, NOT TV tires. Which are set according to Load.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 129
Go ProPride. I have since day 1 and have never had a problem. This said, I do not have a bike rack at the rig's rear nor do I ever 'go a little too fast' slight downgrade or not. I assume that any optional weight in the inside of your rig is well positioned and stable. Good luck.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Wrong
Wrong? Expected someone to disagree...not sure why you always seem to disagree with staying within manufacturers guidelines for safety? Your years of driving experience are valuable slowmover, but I for one, will stay within Mfg. guidelines and their specs for safety and insurance purposes...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 315
Blog Entries: 1
I would think that carrying the lightest weight bicycles on the flame would also help, yes?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Go ProPride. I have since day 1 and have never had a problem. This said, I do not have a bike rack at the rig's rear nor do I ever 'go a little too fast' slight downgrade or not. I assume that any optional weight in the inside of your rig is well positioned and stable. Good luck.
Having a propride doesn't absolve one from paying attention to loading. It might be more resilient to sway, but an unbalanced rig is inherently unstable and can still bite in the wrong situation.
__________________
Boondocking option package:
'07 27FB Ocean Breeze "See Turtle", 3" lift
'09 Lexus LX570, on 33's
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 10,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I would think that carrying the lightest weight bicycles on the flame would also help, yes?
I seem to recall a total bike weight limit of 75 lbs. or so.

"Fiamma weight limit" in new search box above yields:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiam...=airforums.com

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #40
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,998
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Wrong? Expected someone to disagree...not sure why you always seem to disagree with staying within manufacturers guidelines for safety? Your years of driving experience are valuable slowmover, but I for one, will stay within Mfg. guidelines and their specs for safety and insurance purposes...
Your conclusions (whomever believes that) aren’t borne out by facts. Both in terms of insurance coverage and what in fact DOES constitute “safety”. My experience — personal and professional — indeed does give perspective others might not have, but the education is available. You won’t find the word “safe” used by the vehicle manufacturers without a terrific number of qualifications. In short, not at all what you believe (magic thinking)

Yours is the dangerous combination compared to those better chosen. Far more likely to wreck based solely on the TV, and wrecks far more likely to be self-induced. (Yeah!! Thats the one I want for my family!).

You can start with what you DONT understand about manufacturers guidelines. Plenty of SAE papers that, even when badly done (and some are) illuminate the difficulty of A=B=C.

In short, your TT is the best design. Your TV, the absolute worst.

Some facts should stick out. The pickup tendency to roll over. It’s very high. Rollovers are 3% of serious accidents. 25% of fatalities. And when not fatal, terrific life-changing injuries. These are most likely to happen on clear days and on straight roads. As simple as — likeliest to be — trying to correct from bumping a curb, or having a steer tire drop two inches off the pavement. (Buh Bye)

But, “you” (whomever) wants to believe only a pickup can be used (everyone else does; lemming-think). Even though we’ve showed time and again how WD works. TW ISN'T a problem. You want it to be.

God forbid your golf buddies saw you in mommy’s SUV or minivan.

The HP/Weight Ratio. Better than a pickup. Braking ability, same. And most of all, (like this TT) the ability to stay upright in a test. A slalom. A demonstration of what happens in the moment of a rollover. Caused by using a pickup. As other vehicle designs wouldn’t have been upset.

You wanted it, you got it. So, to mirror your question, why on earth would you advise others that it’s a good choice? (What’s the weight of the gear which CANNOT under any circumstance be carried in the TT or TV passenger compartment? That’s the demonstration of HOW your advice “might” be worth considering).

The usual comeback is how so many others are just fine with pickups. But a serious wreck need only be once. Like being gunshot. Guys like yourself believe it advisable to travel in a war zone unarmed and without armor. Despite the fact that a single shot has life-changing or ending probabilities.

You won’t be able to shout over the laughter by claiming skilled driving and good habits will save the day. EVERYONE is prone to a moments inattention. Of being ill. Of being confused or overtired. Ones personal abilities, skill or luck are perfectly irrelevant to a vehicle discussion.

And you’ve wholly ignored that the majority of miles (even for full timers) are solo. And likely NOT loaded for camping. Thus worsening the already bad proclivities of a pickup.

You don’t ever exceed 62-mph in that thing, do you? They’re barely able to stay upright past 55 if anything at all gets funny. Solo. (Towing, it’s worse).

Sure, what’s different about your experience and mine is that I’ll keep mine out of situations you don’t recognize as a problem. Or, that I know the solution already. Doesn’t change bad vehicle spec. Needs to be other reasons to use one.

Ever allow less than 200’ or separation between you and others? May as well start there. Cancelling cruise and slowing to 15-mph or more below other traffic to get them away is SOP. Doesn’t matter in the least that the others are moving away. It’s NEVER acceptable. Not for even a short amount of time.

You’re the crippled animal near a herd. Can’t do anything but continue in a straight line AND can’t stop. Nothing but disadvantage. (Yeah, sign me up for one a them things).

Same thing with the other high COG and straight axle 4WD vehicles. What they’re called doesn’t matter.

(Th funniest line of late I see is that pickups are “designed for towing”).

Shall I keep going? “You” (whomever) is never serious as a student. So what would be the point? Besides that it’s easy to fix. Easy to set hitch rigging. And easy to acquire better driving habits.

I take it for granted that the worst AS owners are in pickups. I’m not ever disappointed. That proof is available to anyone on the highways.

.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #41
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,064
Good grief.......
__________________
“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #42
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,547
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Your conclusions (whomever believes that) aren’t borne out by facts. Both in terms of insurance coverage and what in fact DOES constitute “safety”. My experience — personal and professional — indeed does give perspective others might not have, but the education is available. You won’t find the word “safe” used by the vehicle manufacturers without a terrific number of qualifications. In short, not at all what you believe (magic thinking)

Yours is the dangerous combination compared to those better chosen. Far more likely to wreck based solely on the TV, and wrecks far more likely to be self-induced. (Yeah!! Thats the one I want for my family!).

You can start with what you DONT understand about manufacturers guidelines. Plenty of SAE papers that, even when badly done (and some are) illuminate the difficulty of A=B=C.

In short, your TT is the best design. Your TV, the absolute worst.

Some facts should stick out. The pickup tendency to roll over. It’s very high. Rollovers are 3% of serious accidents. 25% of fatalities. And when not fatal, terrific life-changing injuries. These are most likely to happen on clear days and on straight roads. As simple as — likeliest to be — trying to correct from bumping a curb, or having a steer tire drop two inches off the pavement. (Buh Bye)

But, “you” (whomever) wants to believe only a pickup can be used (everyone else does; lemming-think). Even though we’ve showed time and again how WD works. TW ISN'T a problem. You want it to be.

God forbid your golf buddies saw you in mommy’s SUV or minivan.

The HP/Weight Ratio. Better than a pickup. Braking ability, same. And most of all, (like this TT) the ability to stay upright in a test. A slalom. A demonstration of what happens in the moment of a rollover. Caused by using a pickup. As other vehicle designs wouldn’t have been upset.

You wanted it, you got it. So, to mirror your question, why on earth would you advise others that it’s a good choice? (What’s the weight of the gear which CANNOT under any circumstance be carried in the TT or TV passenger compartment? That’s the demonstration of HOW your advice “might” be worth considering).

The usual comeback is how so many others are just fine with pickups. But a serious wreck need only be once. Like being gunshot. Guys like yourself believe it advisable to travel in a war zone unarmed and without armor. Despite the fact that a single shot has life-changing or ending probabilities.

You won’t be able to shout over the laughter by claiming skilled driving and good habits will save the day. EVERYONE is prone to a moments inattention. Of being ill. Of being confused or overtired. Ones personal abilities, skill or luck are perfectly irrelevant to a vehicle discussion.

And you’ve wholly ignored that the majority of miles (even for full timers) are solo. And likely NOT loaded for camping. Thus worsening the already bad proclivities of a pickup.

You don’t ever exceed 62-mph in that thing, do you? They’re barely able to stay upright past 55 if anything at all gets funny. Solo. (Towing, it’s worse).

Sure, what’s different about your experience and mine is that I’ll keep mine out of situations you don’t recognize as a problem. Or, that I know the solution already. Doesn’t change bad vehicle spec. Needs to be other reasons to use one.

Ever allow less than 200’ or separation between you and others? May as well start there. Cancelling cruise and slowing to 15-mph or more below other traffic to get them away is SOP. Doesn’t matter in the least that the others are moving away. It’s NEVER acceptable. Not for even a short amount of time.

You’re the crippled animal near a herd. Can’t do anything but continue in a straight line AND can’t stop. Nothing but disadvantage. (Yeah, sign me up for one a them things).

Same thing with the other high COG and straight axle 4WD vehicles. What they’re called doesn’t matter.

(Th funniest line of late I see is that pickups are “designed for towing”).

Shall I keep going? “You” (whomever) is never serious as a student. So what would be the point? Besides that it’s easy to fix. Easy to set hitch rigging. And easy to acquire better driving habits.

I take it for granted that the worst AS owners are in pickups. I’m not ever disappointed. That proof is available to anyone on the highways.

.
WOWZA!
Can’t believe I read all of that.
I thought we were talking about to much weight behind the axles not pickup trucks.
He’s a Angry guy.

And towing outside the manufacturer spec will make you liable in an accident. Lawyer would eat you alive.
__________________

GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time living in Airstream full time. MyNancy1977 1977 Excella 500 0 02-23-2015 08:09 AM
Long Time RVer, first time Airstream(er) Lucas S Member Introductions 4 03-19-2014 03:39 PM
Frisco, TX - Long time lurker, first time poster johnfmiller Member Introductions 11 06-08-2011 07:50 AM
First Time and Full Time! JRoss3030 Member Introductions 9 03-20-2010 11:28 PM
first-time poster.....long-time reader ("lurker") happyfella Member Introductions 3 08-21-2006 08:55 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.