Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #21
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I pull a 28' International with a 2011 GMC 2500. It is rated for 13500# on the ball and 16000# on a fifth wheel set up. With that said, I use a Equalizer hitch. The weight distribution will keep the pressure balanced on the tow vehicles wheels and provide sway control in a cross wind. My son tried to pull a 25' WBT with a Dodge 2500 just on the ball and his front wheels were lightly loaded and he has some steering issues because he didn't have enough weight on the front wheels. Pulling across the country with out the proper hitch would be dangerous and would make the trip very un nerving.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
You say you're buy the truck at the same time, is it a new one or used? If new most vehicle mfgs don't recommend towing for the first 500 or so miles(believe the actual number may vary) on the vehicle. Just something to consider.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Not positive but I think California requires a WD for TT's that size, need to check so you can get it installed prior to leaving Missouri.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph12 View Post
Not positive but I think California requires a WD for TT's that size, need to check so you can get it installed prior to leaving Missouri.
After a quick read through of the CA towing site, that does not seem to be the case. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Lots of good advice. Just remember there are three figures with regard to towing- hitch weight (load), towing weight (pull weight) and hitch rating on the tow vehicle. The truck has to meet all for safety. Do not assume a truck just will pull anything.

Example. My advertised hitch weight is 860# but in reality it is 990#. The actual weight of the trailer 4840# is not a problem for most trucks but the tongue weight would be an issue for SOME trucks. When you select the truck and, a 150 is fine. Look underneath the hitch receiver on the truck for the capacity sticker and, look inside the door at the tire/weight sticker for actual truck payload rating. It will say something like No more than xxxx pounds. This includes people, cargo and hitch weight added. Another indicator, just by looking, is how high the truck sits up compared to others parked near it (I know, sounds crazy). If it has not been altered or jacked up, often the carrying weight of the truck is more if it is higher off the ground. The sales guy and I found out this summer while wading through a sea of 135- 2015 F150 trucks. In your case, the trailer, though, large, is lightweight and also it has a light tongue weight compared to new models which is actually an advantage. It weighs as much as the truck so get a trailer brace controller and a truck that has the OEM tow package at least. A WD hitch, in my opinion is required since most hitch receivers top out at 500# for dead weight capacity and I am sure you have that with a stated 480ish.

The trick is that you will also need the WD hitch calibrated to your trailer/truck. A quick way to do this after you know how your particular WD hitch works, is to get the trailer and truck on level ground with the trailer unhitched from the truck. Carefully measure the distance from the ground to the center top of the wheel well opening of all four wheels, then hitch the trailer on dead weight and note the height change at the wheel wells- front up how much and rear down how much. This is what you are correcting for- to dial up the WD hitch bar counter weight to bring it as close to the original heights as possible. On a FORD truck, the front height must never be lower than original-make sure it is not lower than before being hitched. Other brands are not the same in this regard according to my hitch book. Most likely it will remain higher than unhitched but I was able to get mine only an eighth inch higher than original. That is the quick way to calibrate without scales, etc. Usually, I am told that you will not achieve exactly the before heights but close. Just watch the front. It will probably be your limiter on how far you go with the WD crank or jack. You may even want to jump in the truck a few times during the process to provide some adjusting movement.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkwhittler View Post
I would think in calif. the WD would be required by law and most definitely by safety/practically.. we are pulling a 26' Excella, they are on the heavy side, and our 2500 ram makes it fine w/o the wd hitch. BUT, I would not pull that far w/o one now even w/ the large truck..our previous half ton chevy would not have been able. have pulled same w/ a 2003 Envoy and W/D.. Bit of a struggle up hill but the w/d made it very stable..
Have pulled many things w/ many trucks,, you need to use the w/d hitch.. and be able to relax a bit,,.. enjoy
BTW - WD is not required in CA at any weight or length as far as I know, & certainly not in any AS/vintage kin size.

However, brakes are required on all trailers over 1500# GVTW.

Also the CA speed limit while towing is mostly at 55 mph, with a few roads & freeways only limiting "cars towing" to 55, but I believe they're in the process of changing all signs to "all vehicles" while towing limit at 55. So anything over could be ticketed!

I'm not aware of any state which requires WD - but if there are, please post here as an FYI - especially if they're along the OP's potential routes KS to San Diego.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Hello Neighbor! Congratulations on the new purchase! You are getting a lot of sound advice from some experienced people. When you get home to Carlsbad, if there is anything that we can do to help you, please contact us right away. We are right next door in San Marcos. Patti and I have been Airstreamers for 11 years now. Have a safe trip, take your time, and enjoy the sights. Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote