Old 03-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
If you're traveling backroads or through towns and cities, if you think that street looks like it might be too tight it most likely is!

Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #44
Mik

Niskayuna , New York
Similar Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtime View Post
We're about ready to buy our first trailer (28'), and neither of us has any experience with towing. The trip from the seller to home will be about 1,000 miles. Debating whether to have it delivered or drive it back ourselves. We've done our research and know the mechanics of towing on paper, will have a sway bar and towing mirrors of course. Appreciate any feedback.
If you are a good, confident driver, and it is set up right, you may tow the rig you've described, even as a rookie.

If you have uncertainty, do not. I took to it well, my wife is good on the interstates, could probably drive anywhere, but doesn't need the stress of small roads and uncertain turns/situations.

Others may disagree, but for me there is a higher focus, concentration, and demand on the driver to herd the rig as compared to handling a truck or car alone. Mostly planning ahead and going a bit slower. The trailer tires are rated accordingly, so take a look if you haven't already.

We tow a 2017 Flying Cloud 27 FB (bought new 2 years ago, and we have no towing experience). Also bought a certified used 2014 F-150 Lariat with the 3.5L eco-boost engine - vehicle rated just shy of 10,000 pounds tow capacity, with a recommended tow package including braking system and backup camera came with the trailer. First time truck owner, but have driven them occasionally over the years. Bought them 1 month apart and took off for the summer with 4 trips!

My first time towing only had trouble backing up. Have standard mirrors. Did a 2 night, then a four night, then 11 including the Outer Banks and then on to see the total eclipse in SC! Then a long weekend to end the season in Montreal. During the summer of 2018 did more extensive travels cross country for almost 2 months.

The truck is more comfortable than our Acura! The queen bed is more comfortable than the one at our primary residence. Love the rig!

Must admit we had finicky problems with both the certified truck and the new Airstream, but both were addressed fairly well. Reading the manual seems sufficient to winterize and address routine matters for the trailer. Make sure you are up on battery management.

Also, had some tight fits going through toll plaza's and construction, so use whatever web support you can to know what is ahead.

Happy trails!

Cheers, Mike

Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Allentown , Pennsylvania
First off, Welcome to the AS world. This site is the most valuable resource I have found for any type of information. The day we bought our 22FB Sport I was terrified to hit the road. We bought new at Colonial in NJ and they did a great job setting up the hitch and walked us through everything. We pulled out of Colonial into "town" traffic then onto the Garden State Parkway to the PA Turnpike!! Talk about jumping in with both feet!! My only towing experience before this was a pop-up. Our trip was only 2 hours and I think it was about an hour into the trip before my hands left the steering wheel LOL... My words of wisdom for what it's worth watch your speed stay 65MPH and under and you will do great. If you didn't purchase the backup camera I would suggest doing so. I don't use it to back in I use it to see what is behind me and it's a great help if you pass to be able to judge when you can get back over. Best of luck to you and we all look forward to hearing of your adventures!!
The Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyo Slvr View Post
Don't forget good mirrors and don't be in a hurry. It'll take some practice and time to get used to the handling and braking. At least double your following distance too.
Since you are buying from a dealership, negotiate and have a full-time rear-view camera installed (i.e. Voyager) before you tow anywhere. Without one, even with decent mirrors, you are blind from approaching vehicles. I promise that you will never regret it. Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Sorry to hear the deal fell thru; but, there are lots of AS's out there...since you have some time, make sure your payload on your F150 can handle a 28' tongue weight...ours is over 1100lbs...our F150 had only a 1039lb payload rating on the door sticker...not enough for even our 25' AS at the time when you include passengers and camp gear in the bed... I sent you a PM which may help.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtime View Post
Thanks for replying. We're buying from an AS dealership. The trailer is in great shape, road ready. Have a 2018 Ford F-150 with Max tow package we bought in anticipation of buying this size trailer. Brake controller is already installed. Thinking we'd purchase the hitch from the dealership and have them help with initial setup. We're wondering how many others out there learned with a trial by fire approach while towing home their first trailer.

Being a country boy and in the senior discount group, yes to "Trail by fire" 50 years ago. Stopping and the other drivers in today's tow world, IMHO is challenging at best. IMHO, go slow, be aware, stop every once in awhile to double check everything, have fun and be safe. We all were 1st timers at one time.

Best regards and safe travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Being a country boy and in the senior discount group, yes to "Trail by fire" 50 years ago. Stopping and the other drivers in today's tow world, IMHO is challenging at best. IMHO, go slow, be aware, stop every once in awhile to double check everything, have fun and be safe. We all were 1st timers at one time.

Best regards and safe travels.
Was that Trail by Fire or Trial by Fire??
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:46 AM   #50

Currently Looking...
Boston , Massachusetts
F 150?

Hi
I have the same F150
How does yours handle going up and over hill and steep grades? Any difficulty towing?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
If you are a good, confident driver, and it is set up right, you may tow the rig you've described, even as a rookie.

If you have uncertainty, do not. I took to it well, my wife is good on the interstates, could probably drive anywhere, but doesn't need the stress of small roads and uncertain turns/situations.

Others may disagree, but for me there is a higher focus, concentration, and demand on the driver to herd the rig as compared to handling a truck or car alone. Mostly planning ahead and going a bit slower. The trailer tires are rated accordingly, so take a look if you haven't already.

We tow a 2017 Flying Cloud 27 FB (bought new 2 years ago, and we have no towing experience). Also bought a certified used 2014 F-150 Lariat with the 3.5L eco-boost engine - vehicle rated just shy of 10,000 pounds tow capacity, with a recommended tow package including braking system and backup camera came with the trailer. First time truck owner, but have driven them occasionally over the years. Bought them 1 month apart and took off for the summer with 4 trips!

My first time towing only had trouble backing up. Have standard mirrors. Did a 2 night, then a four night, then 11 including the Outer Banks and then on to see the total eclipse in SC! Then a long weekend to end the season in Montreal. During the summer of 2018 did more extensive travels cross country for almost 2 months.

The truck is more comfortable than our Acura! The queen bed is more comfortable than the one at our primary residence. Love the rig!

Must admit we had finicky problems with both the certified truck and the new Airstream, but both were addressed fairly well. Reading the manual seems sufficient to winterize and address routine matters for the trailer. Make sure you are up on battery management.

Also, had some tight fits going through toll plaza's and construction, so use whatever web support you can to know what is ahead.

Happy trails!

Cheers, Mike

tjbrk is offline   Reply With Quote