Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
First Drive GMC Canyon and 20 Flying Cloud

Picked up our 2017 20 ft Flying Cloud today and drove about 60 miles home with it. Towed very nicely, despite a 20+ mph crosswind the first few miles. Very stable with no steering correction required (I believe the Stabilitrak helps with that). TV is a 4x4 Canyon Crew Cab with the V6 and trailering package, and a Leer Shell.

I am not new to towing, having owned and towed dump trailers, cargo trailers, car trailers, and horse trailers up to about 11,000 lbs, but always with a fullsize 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup truck, so this was my first tow of anything substantial with a midsize truck.

Acceleration is actually very good. Got up to freeway speed very quickly at maybe half throttle and shifting around 3500 rpm. The V6 has 305 hp and a nice flat torque curve so it works very well with this relatively light trailer.

Averaged 16.5 mpg on this short trip with a tail wind. Very limited data obviously, but not bad.

Spent most of the trip at 65 MPH, but spent a few miles at 80 MPH (here in Texas the trailer towing speed limit is the same as for a single automobile). Have to check the trailer tire rating but anything above 70 MPH would be a rare exception anyway.

I also have a Chevy K2500 work truck with a 454, but the Canyon much more comfortable for traveling of course.

I used a weight distribution hitch and imagine that helped stability. Once setup the truck and trailer were level, without that it definitely would have been tail down.

I did notice that the transmission temp was running about 15 to 20 degrees higher than usual (about 163 F with an ambient temp of 65 deg F). The trans is an 8L90 which is the same as used in the Silverado, so I may investigate as to whether there is a GM auxiliary trans cooler that might work better than the setup that came with it.

At any rate I was very happy with the towing experience so far limited as it was.

SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Great performance. No need for additional tranny cooling is indicate with that data.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote