Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #41
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Guess he changed his mind.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
We bought a 23' FC FB last summer. Pulled it to Canada & back w our 2006 Toyota 4Runner w tow package which was fine w our 17.5 Bigfoot but not so fine w the AS. This winter we traded for a 2013 GMC Yukon Denali w tow package. Perfect!
lindaebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:56 AM   #43
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Well, maybe or maybe not. This agonizing over a tow vehicle is driving us nuts! Wanting to stay in the range of $30 or under does put limits on the search. We looked at, and drove, a 2015 Ford F150 2.7 Eco-Boost yesterday. We really liked it but are concerned about the oomph of the 2.7 in the Rockies. And it's huge! Still liking the Sequoia, though.

Anyway, our new-to-us 2014 23D will be in our driveway today, so that excitement will be about all I can deal with today!

Rob
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Mascouche , Quebec
I pull my 1998 25' safari with a 2015 4wd Sequoia 5.7 L. Trailer is around 5800 lb ready for camping. It pull great, no problem so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452776047395.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	255689  
Old 01-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

There are three equally important elements in a great towing combination. Tow vehicle, trailer, and hitch, if any one is poor, the combination will be poor. Spend at least as much time researching the hitches as you do the other two elements, and get it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Many dealers and customers treat the hitch as an afterthought, a make-do item.
How do you find the person who knows what they are doing?
SCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #46
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTX View Post
Wow, now that's a question I can relate to!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #47
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Wow, now that's a question I can relate to!
That can be a challenge. The best place to learn about towing, hitches, hitch rigging and adjustments is right here. It can be a daunting task to sift through all the differing opinions, but it is worth it. Another option is to attend a WBCCI unit rally, meet people that were once newbies and they will be glad to help.
Places like Hurst and The Woodlands are not far from many, many experienced Airstreamers. You might have a neighbor that is an Airstreamer.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just remember the Airstream literature tongue weight is always less than the reality when loaded for camping and the hitch head is attached, which is part of the unsupported tongue weight when not hitched. That is the weight the trailer frame supports.

If the preferred tow vehicle hitch rating is only 720 pounds, give Andy at CanAm in London Ontario a call:

(519) 652-3284 or (866) 226-2678

to discuss if some modifications to the tow vehicle of your preference can have the receiver reinforced to handle the tongue weight along with the rotational forces applied to it by any weight distribution hitch system.

I took my 2007 Mercedes there in October 2012 to have the factory receiver reinforced and the Hensley stinger shortened and slightly bent. Click on "Images" below my avatar to the left and there is a photo of the underside of the Mercedes with a new 2"x2" bar going forward to reinforce the recall repaired factory installed receiver.

I was able to tow a new empty (only full fresh water and propane tanks) 2013 25FB International Serenity from Los Angles dealer to Phoenix through the mountains on I-10 and especially the climb east bound out of Palm Springs. There were no issues until we loaded the trailer for camping and had the wife in the car to cross the scales. The car axle limits were then exceeded and thus we acquired a Dodge 2500HD Cummins tow vehicle.

So take a "test" drive in the proposed tow vehicle and cross the scales with the two people and some of the gear you would plan to take with you in the car. You will see the actual axle weights on the print out. Compare those to the axle rating on the door post. One would hope there is at least a 1,000 pounds of payload left on the rear axle....

Since we tow the 23D with the Mercedes, I did not want gasoline fumes from a generator or gasoline cans in the car. I have converted the existing pair of Honda EU2000 generators to propane.

Propane Kits for Honda Inverter Generators by GenConneX

I could carry a spare 30 pound propane tank if necessary inside the car or secured in the shower of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #49
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncook
It always comes down to do you want the Airstream or the Tow vehicle to be the boss

The answer is, get it hitched right and the Airstream will follow.

And the "smaller than a big-a$$ed-truck" TVs in fact won't be "bossed" by the AS - esp. the shorter ones specifically designed for smaller TVs! It's just BS scare tactics IMHO!

Certainly our Avion T20 didn't "boss" the Nissan Pathfinders with our WD/AS hitch & properly set-up!

Geesh, I just hate these cryptic non-factual & non-contributive "big TV/truck types' " quasi-input.

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #50
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
It always makes me shake my head when the OP asks one simple question and it always veers off course into the same old tow vehicle debate.

Just as a refresher, here is the question the OP asked-
Quote:
So, I thought that I'd post this question as to the suitability of the Sequoia with the 23D for current thought. We do like to travel frequently to the Rockies, if that matters, and it probably does.

And as it turns out, the OP has gone off topic on his own, by now veering towards what he initially said he doesn't want ... a truck, by now focusing on some deals he can get on new 2015 Ford F150s!

So you just never know when additional info will be useful - he may also have instead decided to go with a smaller V8 Land Cruiser or 4Runner over the Sequoyah, or onto any other full or mid-sized TV of another make.

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
There is some good info in a booklet done by the Sherline hitch weight scale people, that I think is a good self-reading starting point, as well as Lance's suggestions above. I think it's online as a pdf Adobe Reader file, but I don't have their website bookmarked.

You'll want their or another way to weigh your trailer's hitch wt. in the real world as wet & loaded for a trip, as well as getting the whole trailer on truck scales or similar to get the actual wet/loaded trailer wts. overall & per axle & per wheel/side.

I agree that Andy Thompson at CanAm is also a good resource to call or email on these types of questions, plus read up on his "Hitch Hints' articles linked from his CanAm website to the Canadian RV Lifestyles magazine website who prints them; as well as those WBCCI folks have literature online & at their events or to call/email them.

So I guess we're on to RFP's new TV search topic now....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1736312

Happy Trails!
Tom
///////
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Somewhere in , Texas
I have towing my 2007 25FB International with my 2012 VW Touareg TDI for over 3000 miles since October. I absolutely love it and get 18mpg while towing. Would love to paste a picture, but was not able to.
Mymosaicmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
The nearest one is at your house, and should be. Read, learn, experiment with your setup.

Your hitch owners manual is a great place to start. Andrew Thomson at Can-Am Airstream in Ontario is considered a great resource, he has written extensively on the subject in many magazines. Google his Hitch Hints and you will know more about hitching Airstreams than most dealerships. There are many discussions about hitches in this forum, some good information but tend to drift into arguments about brands or truck size.

Get a high quality hitch and learn how each part and adjustment contributes to weight distribution and sway control or sway elimination.
Your towing experience will be much safer and more comfortable.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Tow my 23 with a sequoia. 130 k miles on it. Have towed over the Rockies many times.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
We tow ours with a 2004 4Runner. It has a smaller 4.7L V8 but it has a 7,000 lb. towing capacity. The early Sequoias also had the 4.7L. If you can get the 5.7 you can upsize the trailer later on with the bigger engine but the 4.7 does nicely with the 23' size. I think Toyota kept the 4.7L in the 4runners through about 2007 but the '04 models have the larger fuel tank.

Just a thought.
Hey RichW46-

I too have a 4Runner, albeit the V-6.

I have the 72 27'. What size AS do u have and how well / comfy do you feel with it as a TV.

I love my 4R, and don't want another truck. So I'd consider the v8 4R or possibly a used Sequoia, but i'd prefer the 4R - due to it's killer off roading - which I don't do with my AS!

Thx

Brek
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Nissan Armada with tow package is a great tv with 9000 lbs capacity and 900 lbs hitch limit. Tow package has a diff rear end, trans cooler, trans temp gauge and tow mode. No brake control though you'll have to add it but the connector is pre wired and you just have to buy the controller. We towed a 25' for several years and just upgraded to a 28' GW 7600. It'll tow your 23 with ease.

As a large suv it has cavernous space and both rows of back seats fold flat with no gaps or level changes so it is our packing and dog hangout space.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
@MFP-- I don't want to drive around in a pickup either. The Sequoia was on my short list of TVs during my search and should work out great for you based on my research. I ended up getting a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S yesterday. It's just a little more fun to drive than the Sequoia :-)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanFL View Post
Hey RichW46-

I too have a 4Runner, albeit the V-6.

I have the 72 27'. What size AS do u have and how well / comfy do you feel with it as a TV.

I love my 4R, and don't want another truck. So I'd consider the v8 4R or possibly a used Sequoia, but i'd prefer the 4R - due to it's killer off roading - which I don't do with my AS!

Thx

Brek
Hi Brek, our '04 4Runner is year 2 of the V8 4.7L engine. In 2003 the hitch was a bumper hitch in the early part of the model year (MY). From late 2003 until at least 2006 they had a frame hitch and V8. The V8 was the old style cast iron and the tranny was the new style full-time 4WD. It's rated at 7,000 towing capacity and a tongue weight of 700 lbs.

Our '06 23'-AS maxes out at 4700 lbs. so we're well within the capacity. Over normal terrain I drive 60-65 and get 12-13 mpg. I have the Equalizer hitch and have never had any problems towing. The AS stays very steady behind the TV. When we first towed I had to constantly watch my speed as it would get up to 70-75. Still, the AS was very steady. I quickly learned to manage my speed, watch my overhead clearance and braking distance.

The current model 4Runner maxes out at 4,700 lbs. towing, I don't know the tongue weight. It was 5,000 until a couple of years ago when Toyota adopted the new J2807 SAE towing standard. So you'd have to go to the Sequoia 4.7L or 5.7L V-8 for towing what I can tow with mine.

I've towed in strong cross winds and with lots of tractor-trailers on the road. I'm aware that they're passing but no problems with the AS handling.

You don't say what year your 4Runner is. I have the specs for 2004, you'd have to check your owner's manual for your year.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4Runner Specifications.pdf (28.1 KB, 33 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #59
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
<<< snip >>>
And as it turns out, the OP has gone off topic on his own, by now veering towards what he initially said he doesn't want ... a truck, by now focusing on some deals he can get on new 2015 Ford F150s!
<<< snip >>>

Tom
///////
OK, the OP is a genuine nit wit! I should know, because I'm him!

So, we wound up with a truck. A new 2015 (one of the few left in this part of the country) Ford F150 with the 3.5 Eco-Boost and Max Tow stuff. Certainly it will handle the 23D with at least a degree of authority.

I sold my Land Cruiser after 18 or 19 years of ownership (well, more like an adoption), and I must admit that I already miss its agility and precision. Linda assures me that I will get over the loss, but right now the F150 just seems enormous. Of course, it is smooth and quiet. First tow is at least a month away, so I've got time to get my mind and my muscles into this new rig (I hope, I hope, I hope).

After several years of the Land Cruiser/Casita 17-footer, the new Truck and Airstream are just pretty darned intimidating to this old guy!

I am grateful for the good guidance I received from all who responded to this - and my other - thread.

Rob
Old 01-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Rob, now you are a real Texan

Kelvin