Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
That's the great thing about the Forum - all the great and varied inputs you get. I noticed one post the criticized folks for getting off your original topic. I have actually found that to be beneficial, because I get inputs on things I hadn't considered (but needed to).

In any case, congratulations on the truck and AS - and TRAVEL SAFE. See you somewhere maybe! This spring I'm in Olympic NP; summer is TBD; Sep is Yosemite and Grand Canyon; winter is S Florida and Keys. Ain't it great!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Come up to Eureka Springs in April.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...ar-145146.html

Kelvin
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
i just got a grand cherokee diesel- overland model. Towed my 31' Sovereign today. It tows better than my older suburban. the torque is awesome.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Rob, now you are a real Texan

Kelvin
Exactly, in Texas ya gotta have a truck, or 2 or 3......

We have had 2 F250 diesels, some F150s ,non diesels, and some SUVs also. Truth be told, this girl would take a nice truck every time. Soon will be shopping for a new truck, then on to an Airstream (I hope).
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
It came to my mind that maybe you never drove a Pickup. Do to a snow storm I just drove my 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 pm a 500 mile trip. I have had it for 2 years, but this is the first trip I have taken with out my trailer on. I was amazed at how great a job it did we are both 73 years old this was "back roads". We love the truck for towing.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Jefferson , Colorado
First Airstream and I don't want a truck (!)

We tow our 31' Sovereign with a 2015 Expedition with Ecoboost(the only engine it comes with). We have the towing package which has a 9,200 lb capacity. Our trailer is 7,000 lbs loaded. The turbocharged engine pulls the trailer easily over all of our Colorado mountain passes. We have over 30,000 miles experience towing with Expeditions. We use a load leveling Hensley Hitch and have driven in 30+ mph crosswinds with no swaying issues. My brother was towing an SOB trailer with a 3/4 ton Diesel and was white knuckle the whole time.
grjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what MPG do you see from the EcoBoost?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
RFP-Disclaimer--I do not work for Ford, have any Ford stock and in the past have said FORD stood for Found on the Road Dead-Now that that is out, I have driven Chevys for years, three Tahoes two Suburbans and while I did like them, am now in my third year of a F-150, Eco Boost, Platinum. It is the best road vehicle I have ever driven.. First impression when I test drove it was, this thing is a beast. Once you get accustom to it, I believe you will love it. Out pulls any other vehicle I have ever driven, including the 3/4 ton Suburban. The dual turbo eco boost is awesome and develops great torque. I hope you enjoy yours as well as I do mine

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #69
BTB
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
Sequoia Brakes

FWIW... I had the issues with warped front rotors. I looked all over for some monster truck type beefed-up brakes but there were none, so opted for Napa Ultra Premium rotors and (ceramic) pads all round.

The rotors warped again. The shop replaced them for free. They warped again.

Third time lucky - the shop again warrantied them out, replaced the rotors with the same type but this time installed Centric Posi Quiet 10609760 semi-metallic pads and touch wood so far all is well.

The shop guy felt confident these pads would solve the problem - so far so good.

YMMV.

Bill
BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Just another guy's experience: first two years with our 19' Bambi International we had a Highlander. I'd only had Toyotas for 30 years and loved them...BUT as a TV we always felt it was marginal, especially for a fair amount of mountain travel. So this winter I took my wife's advice or suggestion and began shopping for a PU. Semi long story but we now have a 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat with a max tow package and it is GREAT!! We've covered 1,500 miles this past month and the only time I miss the Highlander, when towing that is, is when I am parking or backing up - its shorter wheelbase made thing a bit easier but otherwise I can't say enough good things about the F-150.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
What is a forum for? To have discussions on topics of interest

Quote:
That's the great thing about the Forum - all the great and varied inputs you get. I noticed one post the criticized folks for getting off your original topic. I have actually found that to be beneficial, because I get inputs on things I hadn't considered (but needed to).
Exactly. I have noticed lately, especially on the subject of tow vehicles that criticism is not spared for difference of opinion which could have happened in this thread starting to be an SUV only club when in fact it was a fellow Airstreamer in search of a tow vehicle; even though the "I don't want a truck" was stated.

Quote:
So, we wound up with a truck. A new 2015 (one of the few left in this part of the country) Ford F150 with the 3.5 Eco-Boost and Max Tow stuff. Certainly it will handle the 23D with at least a degree of authority.
Not SUV. I totally understand as a previous never own a truck person. I just didn't know what I was missing.

Quote:
In any case, congratulations on the truck and AS - and TRAVEL SAFE. See you somewhere maybe! This spring I'm in Olympic NP; summer is TBD; Sep is Yosemite and Grand Canyon; winter is S Florida and Keys. Ain't it great!
redemption from a fellow member. Regardless of whatever we may think is the best or the only way to go. Yes, congratulations on your decision.