Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Fastway Flip automatic jack foot

Really interested in installing a Fastway Flip Jack Foot. Does it really work as advertised by Camping World and secondly, is it simple to drill a hole in the post to accommodate the Jack Foot.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Titu.

WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I don't have one, but it looks good! It would still sit a bit lower then normal when in the up position it seems.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Now if it just had a powered dolly wheel on it????
Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
I installed one in the fall. It works as described but sometimes need a bit of a kick/tap to get it lined up straight before the full weight of the trailer is on it. It is important to note... if you screw up and lower the trailer past the point where the thing starts to 'flip', you'll likely have your hitch on the ground... The flip action isn't meant to happen when there is weight on it... ie... if the foot can't flip vertically when you are raising it, you'll have to dig a hole for the foot to go in.

This isn't a problem on any kind of near-level surface, but just be aware that uneven surfaces require a bit of checking.

I regularly raise my hitch wayyy up, and it looks scary, but holds up just fine. I have a bad time as my trailer storage beside the house is flat, but my truck is on grade when I hook/unhook.

Drilling the hole is no big deal if you've got a good set of metal bits. You can use the foot itself as the guide. Use a bit of drilling oil, or WD40, to keep the bit cool...

I can't take a picture as my trailer is 8 hours away, getting a few things fixed...
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Also - get the right size... I took home a 'small' one at first and didn't realize there were different sizes.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Thanks FRIDAY for the info. If you get a chance would appreciate a picture or two. I am leaning towards getting one.

Best,
Titu

WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What does this do that the OEM foot for the power jacks doesn't do? It looks like a permanent install, but is that it?

Gene
Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
What does this do that the OEM foot for the power jacks doesn't do? It looks like a permanent install, but is that it?

Gene
I know there are all kinds of different jack-foots... but on my Airstream it came with a puck-shaped base that you slid onto the jack and it just used pressure to keep it on. Every time I moved my trailer, I lifted the jack, the puck fell off, and I had to remember to throw it in the truck... if it gets lost, you can't unhook.

The idea with the FastWay is it stays attached and flips up to give you the clearance you need to move. You have to drill one hole through the jack to mount it, but you could always unbolt it and go back to a different style (wheel, puck).

It doesn't solve every problem... if you are on soft ground, you'll still need to put something under it. Also, the 'flip' part is about 4 inches long, so if you don't have at least that much clearance, it won't have room to swing down and be vertical.

On my Airstream, it was annoying to have to spin down a foot of jack shaft just to hit the base... now, after a few inches of jack, the Fastway is making contact with the ground.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Fly. My problem with the foot was that it was much too tight and hard to get on and off.

I solved it. I forgot to remove it early in our travels with the Safari and dragged it along the ground for a while—it plows quite well. A camper came running after me with it in his hand. This caused the top to get bent outward and it fits much better.

The Fastway provides convenience. If I lose the OEM foot, i'll use a few blocks of wood. Works fine.

Gene
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We're camping this weekend in a State Park we visit several times a year. The Fastway would have been a problem, had we had one, as we have to crank the jack all the way down to level out. That's typical for the lakeside spots that we like. It looks good, but in some cases it could be more trouble than benefit.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
We're camping this weekend in a State Park we visit several times a year. The Fastway would have been a problem, had we had one, as we have to crank the jack all the way down to level out. That's typical for the lakeside spots that we like. It looks good, but in some cases it could be more trouble than benefit.
Yup, that's one of the issues I was trying to describe. I like mine, on a 22 foot with a <> 450lb tongue weight. On a bigger rig with a 800+ lb weight it would scare me a bit...