Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Lightbulb Extraction w/ Steep Incline AND Angle. Advice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hill.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	161534

Name:	hill 2.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	161535 (I don't know why this is sideways, it is upright in my file) Also, the driveway is much worse in real life than it looks here. The shadow in the top photo is more revealing.

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have purchased our 3rd Airstream, . Super excited and proud! Our only problem (well 1st anyways) is getting it out of the driveway it's been in for over 25 years. They backed it in and never moved it again. It got there via a very steep driveway in an narrow alley, which means it can't come straight out. Also the angle isn't even, it slopes right to left. Hubby has asked me to post for suggestions and feedback.

We are wondering if any of you more experienced Streamers out there have any objections to our plan. Or better ideas, please pretty please. ( my husband, who knows all the lingo, is not here so bear with my explanation)

Potential Plan:
1. Install the new tires (once they arrive, they shipped today)
2. Build a very sturdy wood ramp to soften the slope and angle
3. Attach a hoist? pully? (I can't remember what hubby called it) from the back bumper/giant rod that goes down the trailer (I'm sorry! Hubby isn't texting me back about what all of this is called!) of the trailer to the house and slowly guide and lower it down the hill, inches at a time. Putting blocks in front of the tires for each movement.
4. Attach trailer to truck once at the bottom of the driveway and drive out

Is this insane or perfectly logical?

Any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Many many thanks in advance!

Also, it's a single axle (if that makes a difference)
Tipsy Tows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could probably hook it to the truck and pull it out if you had one of those adjustable height hitches. You probably want the hitch almost on the ground so the tail won't drag. I have a trailer hitch mounted on the 3 point hitch attachment on my tractor. I can move the tongue up and down with just a lever. As long as you have some sort of skid at the back to keep it from dragging the concrete you should be ok.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Although far from an ideal hitching situation, as I view the picture, you should be able to do without any ramps, etc. I'd say first just back up your tow vehicle and see how the ball aligns with the coupler. If you can lower the coupler onto the ball, then do it and take off (slowly)!

After trying that and you think it's impossible, then start thinking about ramps, etc. I think a ramp, hoist or pulley will complicate your situation.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Thank you for your replies!

Perry, we did discuss the adjustable hitch however hubby says this hill is far to steep to use in this situation.

Mike, I agree, the ramp will likely complicate the issue and we'd love to come up with a different solution. Unfortunately, we can't come in straight since the alley is so narrow. I wouldn't mind trying it out to see what happens. As you say, slowly! Although looking at it, the 2 guys don't think it will work.

The PO, whose driveway it is still in, says they backed it in in 2 'segments'. They backed in as far as they could, unhitched, realigned, then rehitched and finished the job. That was going UPHILL though, which my husband thinks was much easier and doesn't think will work in the opposite.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
In looking at these pictures, I can see it is difficult to express really how steep this incline is. It's much worse in real life. Even difficult to walk down.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
You may want to call an auto towing firm. With the different configurations they have on their trucks, they may be able to figure out something.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Might be able to use a flat bed wrecker. Get someone experienced to look at it. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Zig has the best idea, and probably the cheapest.

The flat moveable deck will be level with the trailer for loading and then can unload on the street. Probably cost to more than $50.00 and its done.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Might be able to use a flat bed wrecker. Get someone experienced to look at it. Jim
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Zig has the best idea, and probably the cheapest.

The flat moveable deck will be level with the trailer for loading and then can unload on the street. Probably cost to more than $50.00 and its done.

Dave
So how would that work. I am not familiar with that type of tow truck.

Don
Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1961 22' Spaceliner
Springville , Utah
Looks familiar

Our regular parking spot, next to our garage is ten feet higher than street level. That height is reached in thirty feet of distance from the curb. Our little globetrotter would drag it's back end if we were to come of this hill straight. So my advice would be.... ASAP(when the wheel well clears the corner of the garage) start turning the trailer to the right, to get it running diagonally across the slope. Take it slow( I have to use low range), and have people watching all corners. If someone backed it in there you should be able to pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-289159177.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	161594  
Utah
Globestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Look at the video for best idea of how it works.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
So how would that work. I am not familiar with that type of tow truck.

Don
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
You guys are fantastic! Thank you! Please keep the suggestions coming and hubby and I will review them when he gets home. And document whatever we decide!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Look at the video for best idea of how it works.

Dave
OK now I see. But I wonder could you get this type of truck in position in the narrow alley as described. I agree with Globestream, if someone backed it in there you should be able to pull it out. I can't wait to how this turns out.

Don
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Having been a tow truck driver in my past life, we can do what you would consider "the impossible".

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK now I see. But I wonder could you get this type of truck in position in the narrow alley as described. I agree with Globestream, if someone backed it in there you should be able to pull it out. I can't wait to how this turns out.

Don
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well your hubby might be right about uphill being easier but going backwards is much much harder then going frontwards.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I would suggest you find someone with a front end loader, preferably a Bob Cat to put a ball on the bucket. It could pull it out and make the turn, and adjust the height of the tongue as needed. A good tractor with a three point hitch lift as suggested would work as well.
Good luck,
Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
One boat yard we visited moved boat trailers with a fork lift that had a trailer ball on one of the forks. This allowed them to easily raise and lower the ball as necessary. Plus, a fork lift has a short wheelbase and "drives backwards", so it's easy to maneuver. One caution, fork lifts are heavy and could tip over on this incline. I agree, a Bob Cat or other construction vehicle designed for rough roads might work better. Or, a tow truck could probably at least move the trailer down to the street where it's flatter.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globestream View Post
Looks familiar

Our regular parking spot, next to our garage is ten feet higher than street level. That height is reached in thirty feet of distance from the curb. Our little globetrotter would drag it's back end if we were to come of this hill straight. So my advice would be.... ASAP(when the wheel well clears the corner of the garage) start turning the trailer to the right, to get it running diagonally across the slope. Take it slow( I have to use low range), and have people watching all corners. If someone backed it in there you should be able to pull it out.
Similar to my past parking spot too. Probably an 8' rise in about 20' of driveway. I too had to navigate slowly and carefully to move the trailer in/out of the spot. There is an optimal angle to work with - but it always took me a few times to figure it out. At times I felt like I was perpendicular to the spot! I often hit the hitch on the driveway, but not enough for real concern. I also found that I could not do this job without my tension bars in place (or the tongue would drop so low that it would bottom out).

Good luck - make sure you let us know how it goes!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The easiest thing would be a 4wd tractor with a ball on the 3 point hitch. You get power up and down on the hitch so you can adjust the angle of the trailer at the transition points, and great turning radius and low gears. A nearby boat yard uses this all the time, even for some really large (30+ feet) powerboats on triple axle trailers.

An small off-road fork lift work work as well, and would handle the grades.

You might be able to get it out of there with a front hitch on a pickup as well.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
+1 on the tractor. I've maneuvered my 31 footers through some seriously tight spots with mine.