Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well your hubby might be right about uphill being easier but going backwards is much much harder then going frontwards.

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Rivet Idiot
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
I would suggest you find someone with a front end loader, preferably a Bob Cat to put a ball on the bucket. It could pull it out and make the turn, and adjust the height of the tongue as needed. A good tractor with a three point hitch lift as suggested would work as well.
Good luck,

AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
One boat yard we visited moved boat trailers with a fork lift that had a trailer ball on one of the forks. This allowed them to easily raise and lower the ball as necessary. Plus, a fork lift has a short wheelbase and "drives backwards", so it's easy to maneuver. One caution, fork lifts are heavy and could tip over on this incline. I agree, a Bob Cat or other construction vehicle designed for rough roads might work better. Or, a tow truck could probably at least move the trailer down to the street where it's flatter.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Originally Posted by Globestream View Post
Looks familiar

Our regular parking spot, next to our garage is ten feet higher than street level. That height is reached in thirty feet of distance from the curb. Our little globetrotter would drag it's back end if we were to come of this hill straight. So my advice would be.... ASAP(when the wheel well clears the corner of the garage) start turning the trailer to the right, to get it running diagonally across the slope. Take it slow( I have to use low range), and have people watching all corners. If someone backed it in there you should be able to pull it out.
Similar to my past parking spot too. Probably an 8' rise in about 20' of driveway. I too had to navigate slowly and carefully to move the trailer in/out of the spot. There is an optimal angle to work with - but it always took me a few times to figure it out. At times I felt like I was perpendicular to the spot! I often hit the hitch on the driveway, but not enough for real concern. I also found that I could not do this job without my tension bars in place (or the tongue would drop so low that it would bottom out).

Good luck - make sure you let us know how it goes!

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The easiest thing would be a 4wd tractor with a ball on the 3 point hitch. You get power up and down on the hitch so you can adjust the angle of the trailer at the transition points, and great turning radius and low gears. A nearby boat yard uses this all the time, even for some really large (30+ feet) powerboats on triple axle trailers.

An small off-road fork lift work work as well, and would handle the grades.

You might be able to get it out of there with a front hitch on a pickup as well.

- Bart
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
+1 on the tractor. I've maneuvered my 31 footers through some seriously tight spots with mine.
John T.
NoMoSOBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Go with a rollback and an experienced operator. It will save you time, money and your nerves!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Get the flatbed. 100.00 for a tow or 2000.00 for some panels....
Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I made a 3pt hitch adapter for my tractor. It is great. All you do is back up to a trailer raise the hitch and go. Tractors are not that hard to come by.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We have a similar problem at our house. Leaving is actually easier than backing it up the drive. I let all of the tension out of the W/D bars on the hitch this puts the maximum weight on the back of the truck and causes the tail of the trailer to rise as high as possible. I also have new axles under the trailer. The old ones were frozen due to being parked for far less than 25 years. Something as simple as a couple of 2X6 boards under the wheels may give you sufficient clearance.

Best of Luck recovering your new find.
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Lots of good ideas, and I would highly suggest however you move it, you have it hooked up to something. If it is as steep as you say, trying to move it by hand and using blocks is a recipe for disaster.

I've seen runaway trailers on shallow slopes because people underestimate their momentum once they start moving...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Could just get a CAT 5110 Track Hoe and a chain, pick the whole thing straight up 40' in the air, and walk it down to the street
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
JimGolden, that's what I wanted to do! They put a whole Airstream park on a skyscraper in (South Africa?) why not pick this one up??? Well $$$.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! We thought the adjustable tow truck idea was brilliant. They came...and went. They said they can't do it because they need 30' and we don't have it there. They suggested we build ramps. Imagine that!

We have a tractor 1 hour away, don't want to bring it up so maybe we'll try to find one here in the city.

Hubby is installing the new tires/wheels as we speak. They are not frozen! Can't believe it. While he's there he's reassessing the incline and slant to see about a ramp.

Many thanks! We'll keep you posted and youTube it if it goes horribly awry for you all to make fun of us!
Tipsy Tows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
If possible, I'd say you'll want to turn to the starboard side when coming down. It may be the steeper direction, but will have less roll to it. Turn to port, and you're risking the CG going too far over and potentially rolling it.

HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote