Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Equalizing Hitch and Audi Q7 TDI

I have a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI with factory installed tow package. I am considering buying a 25FB which actually weighs 1000 pounds less than my 26' boat. the tongue weight is 200 lbs more on the 25FB than the boat. I know I will need an equalizing hitch but am confused about the ratings. I know that they transfer about 30% of the tongue weight which makes it fall within the range listed on the hitch (662 WT Distributing, 662 WT Carrying). So would this be the rating before the 30% distribution or after? The dry tongue weight is listed as 837 on the 25FB. Very confused, help!
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A WD hitch does not transfer a given % of weight or a given number of lbs. The resulting transfer is a result of how the hitch is set up and that set up is dictated by the geometry of the trailer and TV. No two rigs are the same and do not be talked into "what my set up is or I drop 4 links". Search the AirForum or the Audi forum for those that may be towing with your TV and geta ball park idea of what to do.

What you want is a hitch that will result in the front axle of the TV returning to or close to the original fender height. This ensures that the steering geometry is within specs for the TV. Not returning the front axle to this will result in poor steering control and most likely sway issues.

Keep in mind that setting up a WD hitch is not a 5 min. job and 90% of the dealers out there have no idea of how to set one up. I had one dealer that said he had set up my daughter's trailer without even having the TV and the TV hitch parts on hand and only wanted $120.00 for doing it. Needless to say he did not get the $120.00 and I reconfigured the hitch before we left his lot

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There's an ongoing discussion about your specific type of tow vehicle right here. You will find it informative, and give you some good contacts for help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

Here is another.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...er-129709.html

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Am I right to assume that, if correctly set up, a proper hitch will lower the tongue weight of the trailer some?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Am I right to assume that, if correctly set up, a proper hitch will lower the tongue weight of the trailer some?
A correctly set up weight distributing hitch will reduce the effect of the tongue weight some. In terms of tow vehicle axle loads, that effective reduction means that a small portion (ie 25% or so) will be carried by the trailer instead of the tow vehicle. It isn't actually reduced in terms of the forces applied, which matters for loading on the receiver in terms of its design rating. Hence the reinforcement that is frequently done.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
No. Nothing can reduce the tongue weight. What can be done is that load can be transferred from the bumper area, and thus the rear TV axle to the front axle of the TV and to the axles of the trailer. If you were to weigh the rig before and after a WD hitch was install the total would be to same plus the weight of the hitch assembly.

How much is transferred if a function of several things. The length of the TV and trailer, the load placed on the bars, and general spring strength of the TV. There is no single % that can represent this.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Interesting stuff. I looked at the hitch rating on a Chevy 1/2 ton truck. It stated Max load 600#, with WD 1000#. How could that be if the tongue weight does not change? On my Audi both numbers are the same, 662#. Confusing!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Interesting stuff. I looked at the hitch rating on a Chevy 1/2 ton truck. It stated Max load 600#, with WD 1000#. How could that be if the tongue weight does not change? On my Audi both numbers are the same, 662#. Confusing!!!
Presumably the limiting factor in that specific case is rear axle loading, which the weight distributing hitch helps with (if it is set up correctly)
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
It may have to do with how the load on the rearward portion of the hitch and the truck frame. In the case without a WD hitch that load is concentrated on this section of the receiver. With a WD hitch and the rotational force generated by the WD bars that load is reduced and more applied to the front bolts.

While these cracks in a GM receiver occurred with a WD hitch it may have been much worst without one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Crack s.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	238838  

Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
orillia , Ontario
Quote:
I have a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI with factory installed tow package. I am considering buying a 25FB which actually weighs 1000 pounds less than my 26' boat. the tongue weight is 200 lbs more on the 25FB than the boat. I know I will need an equalizing hitch but am confused about the ratings. I know that they transfer about 30% of the tongue weight which makes it fall within the range listed on the hitch (662 WT Distributing, 662 WT Carrying). So would this be the rating before the 30% distribution or after? The dry tongue weight is listed as 837 on the 25FB. Very confused, help!
Call Andy Thompson of Can-Am Trailers in London. he is the expert on hitches and airstreams.
Jim
jsthespender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
WD hitches place MORE stress upon receivers, Howie..... Not less.
That crack is in a radius which may have cracked regardless..... but contrary to popular thought, WD hitches are NOT cure-alls. A properly distributed load does not require a WD hitch at all, .... and if done well, is preferable.
WD hitches should be recognized for what they are.....Band Aids...compromises, which have their own unique complications, and many so-called"experts" know little of what they profess to critique.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
A properly distributed load does not require a WD hitch at all, .... and if done well, is preferable.
WD hitches should be recognized for what they are.....Band Aids...compromises, which have their own unique complications, and many so-called"experts" know little of what they profess to critique.
As every combination is different and so are the requirements to optimize balance, control, and stability. Many believe the WDH is a well designed, well thought out piece of gear. Most of us would not leave home without one.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
A properly distributed load does not require a WD hitch at all, .... and if done well, is preferable.
That's a dangerous, and incorrect, generalization.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Well, thanks for everyone's input. I just purchased the 2015 25FB so I will have to figure it out. I will contact the CanAm guy, but in the meantime I will try to rebalance by moving the batteries and spare tire. I am going to use the Blue Ox system. I spoke with a guy that owns a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. It is built on the same platform as my Q7 TDI and has the same hitch. He has been towing a 27FB for a year and a half now with no problems. Wish me luck!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Well, thanks for everyone's input. I just purchased the 2015 25FB so I will have to figure it out. I will contact the CanAm guy, but in the meantime I will try to rebalance by moving the batteries and spare tire. I am going to use the Blue Ox system. I spoke with a guy that owns a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. It is built on the same platform as my Q7 TDI and has the same hitch. He has been towing a 27FB for a year and a half now with no problems. Wish me luck!
Please keep one factor in mind before you move things around. A trailer tongue weight is designed to be between 10 and 12% of the trailer weight. This is the sweet spot that is optimum to reduce sway.

Yes a lot of trailer, those with smaller sidewall exposure, can be towed without a WD hitch. However with camper trailers and there larger sidewalls crosswinds and trucks passing are the justification for a WD hitch. That sudden change from equilibrium start sway and once started is tough to reduce.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Do not reduce your tongue weight by too much, you will create more issues than you're solving that way. Too low, and your rig will be prone to sway.

I talked to Andrew from CanAm some weeks back, he's a fan of the Audi and will have the knowledge to set it up properly for you.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
WD refers to "weight distributing"...which is an entirely different matter than "sway control".

And there is nothing "dangerous" or "incorrect" about my prior statement of which an opinion was expressed as fact by andreasduess.

There is one method sure to cause argument and that is to challenge anyone's opinion upon what they've just spent their money.
Just because you have bought into the WD/SC community does not mean you needed that Band-Aid for your towing situation.... and just because you've bought the device does not guarantee your towing situation is safe.

If the weight is well-distributed... you DO NOT NEED a WD hitch.
If you do not have a SWAY problem then you do not need sway control (which also dulls any natural re-alignment virtues of your towing arrangement.)

Those are no more needed in well-designed towing situations than antibiotics are needed by a healthy person. Those devices are not equivalent to vaccinations, either. IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I believe that you are correct. One thing that bothers me is the listed tongue weight is 837#. The trailer dry weight, with propane, is listed as 5500#. Assuming that you add a 1000# of water and gear I don't think you could end up at the ideal hitch to weight ratio of 10% but I am going to try. My boat and trailer weigh 6500#. It drops the back of the Q7 about 2 1/2" and tows easily without a WD hitch.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is very difficult moving load around in a late model 25 to get down to 10-12% hitch weight. The FB models have much of their storage in the front. Yes, our boat trailer also tows well without a special hitch, our Airstream does not.

A w.d. hitch gives better handling, steering control, and braking when you need it most, such as an evasive maneuver on a wet, slick roadway.

Sway control reduces the risk of dangerous increasing trailer oscillations in heavy crosswinds, bow wave from passing semi's, engine braking on downhill grades, winding roadway, evasive maneuvers to avoid an accident, a little too much speed, but especially when all of these factors happen at the same time.

Not all w.d./sway control hitches operate on the same principle. Some have built-in friction control devices that cannot be easily adjusted to reduce friction for, say icy roads. Some use easily adjustable separate friction sway control bars. Some use no friction to eliminate sway and present no resistance to return to towing centerline.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Anyone have any experience with the Sureline tongue weight gauge? I thought it would be a good thing to get for my purpose.