Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Walker , Louisiana
Equalization bars and stabilizer bar?

I have a 99 super duty diesel when I tow my airstream I never use stabilizer bars are anything just the hitch.I tows fine and it oes not sway are anything.I was going to try it this trip.how tight should it be? I really don't know anything about them and I saw if they are set wrong it can cause damage.will it hurt the trailer not using it?
Treyladut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyladut View Post
I have a 99 super duty diesel when I tow my airstream I never use stabilizer bars are anything just the hitch.I tows fine and it oes not sway are anything.I was going to try it this trip.how tight should it be? I really don't know anything about them and I saw if they are set wrong it can cause damage.will it hurt the trailer not using it?
Towing without any load equalizing hitch is not very wise.

Trucks are not magic or immune to loss of control.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
It won't 'hurt' the trailer not using it, but proper weight distribution will help create a balanced tow vehicle and potentially provide a safer ride.

The setup for various weight-distribution hitches is different, so if you can find a manual for yours, or get one online, that's a great place to start. Without access to a scale, most instructions are going to have you aiming to have a very slight drop on the rear suspension with the bars properly tensioned.

There are lots of variables... if the tongue weight of your trailer isn't very high, you might not need weight distribution at all. The possible way to damage a trailer with a weight distribution hitch is to put so much torque on the bars that the resulting load on the trailer damages the suspension or makes the trailer ride so hard it gets wrecked.

I tow a 22 foot with a tongue weight of <> 400lbs, and loaded weight around 4500lbs. The extra weight of the WD hitch is self-defeating for me. I was looking at moving to a 25' which would be <> 800lbs on the hitch, and would be pretty sketchy with my current tow vehicle without weight distribution.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Walker , Louisiana
My super duty sits high in the back when noT loaded because it has 1 ton springs on it.it sits level with the bed of the truck filled and the camper loaded.
Treyladut is offline   Reply With Quote