Old 02-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said-
The dealership will also weave the break-away brake controller cable through the chain and hook it on the chain hook- WRONG- won't do you any good-
The break-away break cable should not be woven through the safety chain. It should be attached to the tow vehicle independently so if the trailer were to separate from the tow vehicle the plug would pull out and activate the trailer brakes.
The dealership will also hook the left safety chain on the left and the right safety chain on the right with the hooks "over" or on the outside of the hole - WRONG - won't do you any good-
Cross and cradle the chains so that if the trailer is separated from the tow vehicle the chains will catch the tongue and keep it up off the road.
All this talk loose balls brought that to mind-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I have yet to see anyone dragging any tow balls, but check those chains... more chain than they know what to do with.

Twist the chain is the only way to shorten the chain, while crossing them as m.hony said. Of course, this is from a cattle hauler in Whitefish, Montana. Sometimes an Alpaca and horses... but the same.

Some of us may have a loose screw or two, but at least we KNOW it. Most haven't the slightest clue that their pants are on backwards and they are dragging their chains.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Twist the chains individually to shorten-
Please don't twist them together-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If the chains are too long, why not cut a few links off and not worry about the dragging of the chains.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Because the trailer might be pulled by a different tow vehicle with the attachment points further away-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has removable pins that hold the hook to the chains. I was able to just move the pins to a different hole to shorten my chains. BUT, another Airstreamer tried this on his trailer and because the oval hole in the links are shorter than mine, the pin wouldn't fit in the holes.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Many of us have trailers where both chains are connected to the same weld directly under the tongue. No such thing as a right or left chain. Crossing is nonsensical.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even when both chains are attached at the same point, one is on the left and one is on the right, even if they are side by side in the same loop. Cross and cradle anyway-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Loose Trailer Ball Thread... Not Short Chain Thread

This is a "loose trailer ball" thread, not a "short chain thread".

If you have a short chain, start your own thread and make the point known to all. Tundra owners must cross their chains for good luck. I do not like dragging my chains while exiting a gasoline station and wearing out the bottom links.

After my initial discovery of having a "loose ball" NOT A "loose screw", I did not have a loose ball problem after 2,000 miles of travel. Maybe, just a possibility, the RV dealership does not know how to handle a Ball and Chain, but selling you a Class C Bus may have more Balls and Chains, which the factory tightens to specifications.

If a trailer hitch ball comes loose, your dragging chain fails since you have been dragging them for the last ten years... I doubt if that the fine wire cable with the brake switch is going to make much difference when your Airstream goes over a 1500 foot drop off crossing the Big Horn Mountains, going either East or West.

... and now some of you are thinking "big horns". That is another Thread. Keep your horns and chains somewhere else. Between greasing your ball and keeping it from falling off of your vehicle... what else could go wrong?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Was hitching up yesterday and, for some odd reason, recalled this thread and happened to look down as I was lifting the trailer and TV up to release tension on the bars and saw the base of the ball itself was lifted up about 1/4" above the hitch. Obviously the nut holding the ball to the hitch was coming loose. Later I noticed clear wear evidence that the ball is spinning on the hitch. This is so annoying.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Two year old thread - fresh reminder

This is an almost two year old thread, but I just wanted to send a fresh reminder to watch for a loose hitch ball. After about 1.5 years of use, I noticed the hitch ball move when I was hitching up. I carefully drove the 30 minutes home, and then proceeded to check it out. First I had to buy a socket that would fit. Since I had a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, I went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned above in this thread, I had to use a pipe wrench (only thing I had that would open wide enough) to keep the ball from spinning, and I had to wedge it against the hitch head to stop it - no way I could do that and also crank on the breaker bar. I even got up on my bumper and put all my weight on the breaker bar until I could no longer get it to move.

I knew that it was supposed to be torqued to ~430 foot pounds. Did I get it that tight? Was it tight enough? A local Equal-i-zer dealer wanted $50 to tighten it, which I thought was too much, so I bit the bullet and bought a torque wrench that can handle up to 600 foot pounds. It was 3/4 inch drive, so I also had to buy an adapter:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Torque wrench: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They arrived today, and I finally had the chance to see if I had gotten it tight enough without the torque wrench. I hadn't. I don't know how many foot pounds it was, but I was able to turn it at least another half turn. Now I am confident that it's tight, and I now have the tools to check it before we leave on new trips.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
SeaLevel... thank you for the latest update.

I marked my ball with a magic marker. If it rotates from its position, I see it right away. For whatever reason, my current ball does not have a way to use a 'monkey wrench' to hold the ball steady when torquing down the nut. When I get some wear on this ball, I will be certain to find a ball that has this option.

m.hony and I agree about crossing the chains to cradle, running the brake release wire directly to the tow vehicle, and I grease my ball, but not my chains.

Since tightening my Ball, Lock Washer and Nut... I am one happy fellow. This Thread has some owners with a true sense of humor. A rare commodity at times.

I still haul the long 3/4" drive breaker bar, socket that fits into the tight opening to access the nut and lock washer. I leave the shank inserted into the tow vehicle's hitch and 'give it all I can' to snug it all up.

Just to wander... I also have my old torque bar with sockets that fit my Equalizer Hitch and keep them snug and happy... as well.

Keep the dragging chains, brake cables, loose balls, grease, torque wrench advice coming. Once the snow melts... I am taking this greased, chain dragging, loose ball trailer camping.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
For whatever reason, my current ball does not have a way to use a 'monkey wrench' to hold the ball steady when torquing down the nut. When I get some wear on this ball, I will be certain to find a ball that has this option.
The Equalizer brand hitch ball has two flat sides. I wish the hitch head had a cutout that would allow their own hitch ball to drop down into the cutout so that it wouldn't turn.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

About a year and a half ago I found my hitch ball to be loose too. Kind of scary. I got the correct thin walled socket and a really big breaker bar then proceeded to stand on it, then jump (hitch in truck at 90 degrees). Since then it's been okay. I think what happened is grease, thinned somehow from use) used to lube the ball slowly dribbled under the ball to the threaded part thus allowing some twist. I now keep a sharp eye for that but am also thinking of spot welding the ball to the hitch.