Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
It's hard enough to safely maneuver a sports car in a emergency collision avoidance situation. Trying to do so in an articulating two-piece vehicle which stretches perhaps 50 feet in various highway situations is exponentially difficult. Although training with our towing rigs would be good, it's not practical to train long and often enough to make much difference, so no one really does it. This is especially true for the nonprofessional who drives recreationally as a hobby.

Besides staying alert, having a well-matched rig and driving defensively, I'd say slowing down is about the single best thing within our power to keep everyone safe.

Driving slower gives the driver more time and distance "cushion," two commodities which become very precious in emergency situations. I never have been able to rationalize the theory that "keeping up with traffic" can be safe when we are towing our trailers or driving our gawky motorhomes. I just don't see it.

Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We recently were driving back from a trip and driving the 60 mph following a semi on I80. All of the sudden the semi swerved into the shoulder to avoid a large truck tire that was in the middle of the lane ahead. We had no choice but to follow his swerve and I was amazed at how well the AS handled it - no pulling or tipping that we could feel. It tracked very well. We did learn the lesson that day of allowing even more space between us and the car ahead even if it seems excessive! We do run A Reese hitch with weight distribution bars and I don't know if this helped with the tracking or not.

Space and slower speeds are always helpful!

bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Slowing down and adding space (and time) between you and the vehicle in front is relatively easy. I say relatively because those are factors we can control. It's some of the things we can't control that put us in harms way. Among these are the idiots who don't understand or worse don't care about our blind spots, especially righty behind our rear.

We too just came home on I-80, and was frustrated by the a******* who pulled out and passed me at the last minute in construction zone lane closures (and this was just past a No Passing sign). And none of these were semi's.

Driving is more than just jumping in and driving. It's a constant awareness of our surroundings, looking forward, and anticipating how to react. I received my best driving lessons from a well know package delivery company. It was a temporary job almost 15 years ago, but those lessons seem like only yesterday.

One topic I did not address is fatigue. We can control this as well, but it is something we all are guilty of at some time. While there are some common factors, I believe this is more dependent upon the individual.

Safe Travels to All!
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post

Driving slower gives the driver more time and distance "cushion," two commodities which become very precious in emergency situations. I never have been able to rationalize the theory that "keeping up with traffic" can be safe when we are towing our trailers or driving our gawky motorhomes. I just don't see it.
I agree. Some vehicles move more slowly than others; it's all part of driving.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
We all hope that an emergency road incident never happens and that we never have to react to one with a sudden collision avoidance manuever. ...

You can't know what you've never experienced but would like to understand the cause and effect relationship between you tow vehicle and trailer when a sudden collision avoidance manuever is required. Does anyone know how you can prepare yourself for that which you've never experienced in order to understand how your rig will react to sudden turns, hard braking, etc.?
Well, since you mentioned it ...

... might just help with that!

Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote