Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
atlantic beach , Florida
Electric brake warning message

2012 EDDIE BAUER WITH 2011 CHEVY SUBURBAN

The integrated brake controller reports messages to "check trailer brake system". We had the brakes serviced. No problem with EB brakes.
We are still getting the message on the Chevy console. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Missy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Verify SOLID connections and grounding...
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The GM integrated brake system is looking for a low-resistance, high-current path to ground through the magnets in the electric brakes. Since the EB is a single-axle trailer, it will not take much of a poor connection to make the controller see too high a resistance. This is less likely on a tandem trailer with 4 magnets in parallel.

As mentioned above, really check the ground and brake pins in the umbilical. They are the two pins exactly opposite the raised key slot on the plug.

I have heard of cases with single axles where an additional dummy resistor needed to be added at the trailer end to insure that the accumulated resistance is low enough to satisfy the integrated controller.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Also, check battery connections in AS for looseness as well as the box where umbilical connects all the wires to trailer. Could be loose in there too.

One other item might be a problem inside vehicle 7way. Check it is ok along with harness connectors on GM TV.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The GM integrated brake system is looking for a low-resistance, high-current path to ground through the magnets in the electric brakes. Since the EB is a single-axle trailer, it will not take much of a poor connection to make the controller see too high a resistance. This is less likely on a tandem trailer with 4 magnets in parallel.

As mentioned above, really check the ground and brake pins in the umbilical. They are the two pins exactly opposite the raised key slot on the plug.

I have heard of cases with single axles where an additional dummy resistor needed to be added at the trailer end to insure that the accumulated resistance is low enough to satisfy the integrated controller.
Um, no the EBs are all tandem axle.
(I believe all EBs are 25' or 27')

It' been decades since Airstream built a 25' or larger single axle trailer. (OP's trailer is 25')
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Double check your controller is in"Electric Brake" mode vice "Electric over Hydraulic".

Similar (but inverse) issue with my Prodigy 3 brake controller and my Diesel Touareg with my old 25FB trailer that had hydraulic brakes when the settings somehow got swapped on the brake controller.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I had that problem with mine awhile back. In trying to isolate the source, whether it was truck or trailer, I hooked the trailer up to a buddies truck. Same problem. Took the trailer into the dealer and they were able to isolate two electrical shorts in the trailer brake wiring.