Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Edge Insight CTS to monitor vitals

I bought the Edge products "Insight CTS" a few weeks ago. It installs easy with an adapter that hooks up to the OBDII port and once configured to your vehicle immediately starts giving you data on whatever parameters you ask for, within the list available. Overall it's pretty nice not to have to run wires and cut holes etc to install analog guages, and the unit is small compared to a set of analog guages. I was able to set it up to monitor the parameters that I wanted, Trans Temp, Boost PSI, EGT, Fuel Rail Pressure, MPG. Accuracy? I don't know where it's pulling its data from, presumably from the trucks computer so whatever data you are seeing is what the truck is using for operation so is that so bad? It's not a purest approach. I also installed an EGT probe and diesel turbo timer for shut down. It works as expected. You can set the insight to shut down the truck after a set time that you program, or shut down according to a specific EGT temperature.

Cons: I can't seem to set a range for data to display on the simulated analog dial display, for instance, if my turbo boost only tops out at 40 then I want to set the upper limit of the range to 40 and not have it at 60. EGT's also, I'd like to lower the upper range to say, 1400 because I don't get that high anyway it doesn't seem reasonable to have a guage that max out at a higher number. Also, when I did hit an alert level for the EGT's the alarm sounded and I looked at the unit display but when it alarmed the screen changed to display 8 parameters and I couldn't see the value for EGT that caused the alarm. Nit picky, I just disabled the alarm and now I can watch the numbers. Also, I watch the number anyway and not the dial anyway so my complaints about the range of data may be mute anyway.

Overall, for a monitor I like it and it has given me peace of mind knowing where my values are while pulling the holiday trailer. My wife said "you pulled the trailer all the way from Texas to Alberta and back and you didn't need it so why are you buying it now?" Well, I said, I didn't have my programmer before that!
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have a simpler product with a similar mission, the ScanguageII. I was also looking for access to more data than the truck displays on the dash, and so far I'm quite happy with it. It should work on any OBD-II vehicle. I generally run it with a display of coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, voltage and oil pressure. Again, so far I'm quite pleased with it, and my partner knew better than to ask why I "needed" one.

It doesn't offer the graphic output that yours does, but I can live with that.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote