Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You could check Consumers Report but I think they all earn the reliability black dot. But then so did our VW TDI which is now in its 10th year of trouble-free service.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I would like a Ford chassis, with a Cummins engine and the Allison transmission.
There is an outfit in Fl. that will build this truck for you but I can't remember the name. Sal

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
There is an outfit in Fl. that will build this truck for you but I can't remember the name. Sal
They're in Gulf Breeze: CUMMINS ALLISON CONVERSIONS
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Currently running a RAM ecodiesel 1500 & very satisfied. In the past few years I've owned a 2011 GMC Duramax & 2013 Powerstroke both top of the line trim level. IMHO any of the three brands is a good choice although not having the Cummins I can't attest to it but I would not hesitate to buy one next time. I also agree with Bold Adventure that RAM gives a lot of bang for the buck! You're in a win win situation no matter what you chose, all these trucks have a proven & solid track record.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have had both.
A Cummins Turbo Diesel in a new1995 Ram 2500.
Two Duramax diesels.
A new 2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4.
And the one I have now, 2007 2500HD 4x4.
I love the Duramax-Allison power system.
I did not like tranny that Dodge behind the Cummins in 1995. In fact I didn't like much of anything about that Dodge.
That is nonsense about the Duramax being a converted gasoline engine.
The Duramax, which has gone through several design iterations has always been designed and built as a cutting edge diesel.
It is a joy to drive and costs nothing to maintain beyond oil, oil filters, air filters, fuel filters.
At 75,000 I took mine to my diesel tech and he just told me to go away.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
The Ram seems to turn sharper and feel more maneuverable when not towing.
I find my 2015 Ram almost 1/2t like when driving solo.
I like the way the Ram handled better than the GM 2500.
The only issue is why do they make these trucks so high? A couple of inches off the springs would be nice. My first accessory was side step bars. If you have bad knees a 3/4t truck is not for you.

Kelvin
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I find my 2015 Ram almost 1/2t like when driving solo.
I like the way the Ram handled better than the GM 2500.
The only issue is why do they make these trucks so high? A couple of inches off the springs would be nice. My first accessory was side step bars. If you have bad knees a 3/4t truck is not for you.

Kelvin
It's a direct result of additional capacity and larger frame rails. Adding the HD springs to the rear of my 1/2 forced the bed up 2 inches when not under load.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
new towing vehicle

We are starting to look for a new tow vehicle for our 25' Airstream that we haul a lot. We are considering a diesel but we have questions. This vehicle will be our only vehicle but we live ruarl so parking and driving in heavy traffic aren't big concerns. We don't have a good history with GM trucks (three breakdowns of the last gassers Allison transmission were only a small part of the problems). The last one was a 2002 and I'm hopeful they have improved a lot. We know we'll be looking at a 2500, larger than our current Toyota Tundra, but by apperance the GMC looks like it would be more manageable everyday than the Dodge or Ford. The Tundras have been excellent with zero problems on the 07 that we traded at 121, 000 miles for a new 12 that now has 70, 000 trouble free miles. The reason we're looking for a diesel is the added tourque for my wife to use the cruise control and for easier driving in the mountains--including better hold back going down the mountains (where the Toyota has next to none). I know these are lots of questions, but we have Airstreaming for over 10 years, but $55 to $65, 000 dollars is a lot of money to spend on a truck and I want to hear from people who use them and know the good and bad to help us make a decision. Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I have had both.
A Cummins Turbo Diesel in a new1995 Ram 2500.
Two Duramax diesels.
A new 2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4.
And the one I have now, 2007 2500HD 4x4.
I love the Duramax-Allison power system.
I did not like tranny that Dodge behind the Cummins in 1995. In fact I didn't like much of anything about that Dodge.
That is nonsense about the Duramax being a converted gasoline engine.
The Duramax, which has gone through several design iterations has always been designed and built as a cutting edge diesel.
It is a joy to drive and costs nothing to maintain beyond oil, oil filters, air filters, fuel filters.
At 75,000 I took mine to my diesel tech and he just told me to go away.
Hope this helps.
1995 is twenty years ago, lots have changed at dodge since then.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
I am currently "stuck" between the GMC and DODGE. Are the new Dodge as quiet as the GMCs? I drove a 2500 RAM Big Horn trim (I believe it was a 2009 or 10) once. That sucker was very loud and that really turned me off.

It is ridiculous the amount of money these trucks costs nowadays... Whatever truck I buy, it will be the last one until I die.

Love this kind of threads because I get to "learn" how the Big 3 are doing... I do notice a lot of RAM trucks on the road followed by Fords. Don't see that many GMCs but see more Chevrolets in this part of the country. I will agree that GMCs are nice. I just do not care for too many bells and whistles. I have not seen the inside of the latest RAM models. Not yet...

So are they quiet? Please do not tell me to go test drive one. I could leave the lot with one. Timing is just not right at the moment. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cando View Post
The reason we're looking for a diesel is the added tourque for my wife to use the cruise control and for easier driving in the mountains--including better hold back going down the mountains (where the Toyota has next to none). I know these are lots of questions, but we have Airstreaming for over 10 years, but $55 to $65, 000 dollars is a lot of money to spend on a truck and I want to hear from people who use them and know the good and bad to help us make a decision. Thanks
We drive a diesel car and gas truck, which we are still learning to drive for best towing performance. So a comment on your gas truck.

If the truck does not have enough torque to hold speed in cruise control, drop down a gear, maybe two, where there is enough rpm and torque to hold without downshifting. About 2200 rpm for ours. I haven't noticed any drop in fuel use doing this, and it's easier on the transmission.

I've learned to let the gas engine rev up by dropping way down in gears to get to get decent engine compression braking. And I readily apply the brakes when needed to control downhill speed, engine braking plus the truck and trailer brakes work well together to slow the vehicle. We approach the crest of the hill slower than normal and see what we have there, adjust the speed accordingly.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbroad View Post
On the edge of making a decision that I only want to make once and be happy with it for the rest of my towing life (asking a lot I know!). Looks like it comes down to RAM 2500 with Cummings or Silverado 2500 Duramax. I'm told the Duramax is a gas engine block converted to diesel. Does this make any significant difference? Who ever knew that making a TV decision would be so agonizing! What's the consensus out there?
Not sure what size AS your thinking, but any of the 2500+ size diesel's, will pull the biggest of Airstreams. (not sure about the new "smaller" Turbo-Ram?) Question I would ask is what size AS, how often you pulling, how much extra "gear" you hauling, where you going (mountains), what else you using it for(daily driving). 3/4 ton's have drawbacks to parking, size getting in/out (for the ladies), garage storage... You may not need a diesel?? Could be a big V8 or Echoboost or perhaps the Ram turbo diesel, could get your job done for a lot less $$ in a 1/2 ton, short bed chassis...for "the rest of your towing life". I have been thinking of diesel also...was very interesting seeing the RAM logic in this thread...may take a look if we move up in size from our 25.. for now, we are fine with our Echoboost with 71K miles...not perfect, but easy around town, and gets the job done for our use mode. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Toyota Tundra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You could check Consumers Report but I think they all earn the reliability black dot. But then so did our VW TDI which is now in its 10th year of trouble-free service.
Well, the Toyota gets red dots from Consumer Reports, but the truck capacities indicate that it is impotent. Impotent, but never needing repair.

Jer
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I chose a Silverado Duramax LTZ '15. I have friends who have 5th wheels, one with a Ford and one with a Ram both one ton. They never tow their 5ers but both love their trucks. I love the Silverado and have about 33,000 towing miles on it. My wife drives and tows our A/S as much as I do and she loves it. We have about 2,000 non towing miles so 35k total in 18 months. I don't believe you would go wrong with a newer model of the 3 manufacturers. Consumer Reports rates vehicles but I don't put a lot of confidence in the ratings compared to talking with actual users of the brand.