Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Dry weight confusion

Have read quite a bit here about published dry weights of AS campers but am still confused. Some folks claim the published dry weight is the camper as it left the factory, some claim it is a base camper with no options. The AS website does not really clarify this.
So my question is; if the published dry weight of my 89 Excella 25 is 5100#, and the Excella (to my knowledge) leaves the factory with just about all the options installed, what does theat 5100# represent?
Base weight (no options) or the "Excella" weight (optioned as it left the factory) ?
I understand neither of these would include any fluids/gases/etc...
I know this topic has been beat to death, but none really address it in this manner.

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bill,
I don't know about the 80's vintage models, but in the 70's the owners manual had a series of pages that listed all the availble options and how much weight they added or subtracted to the axle or tongue weight. Vista Views, bunks, and space lockers are just a few of the options listed. At that point in time I think dry weight refered to the weight of the base trailer. The best bet is to drag it to a scales and weigh it, that way there is no question what the real weight is. I know mine actually came in a bit lighter than I had be guestimating it at. Not sure but it made me happy. Currently their is supposed to be a sticker in one of the kitchen cabinets that shows the real dry weight of the trailer as it left the factory, with factory installed options. Don't know when that went into effect.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello BillTex,

The dry weight should be from the factory without any other items loaded in it .The grey and black tanks ,fresh water all empty.no propane bottles filled,or any other traveling stuff you might put in it.It does not mean empty shell as it was not an empty shell from the factory.If your coach dry weight is stated for the excella version then That is what I would go with.But wahoonc is right ,go weigh it ,easy to do ,then you,ll know exactly what it weighs.You will be relieved and know where your at with regaurds to what you can load in it.

Good luck,

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
it's on the VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Have read quite a bit here about published dry weights of AS campers but am still confused. Some folks claim the published dry weight is the camper as it left the factory, some claim it is a base camper with no options. The AS website does not really clarify this.
So my question is; if the published dry weight of my 89 Excella 25 is 5100#, and the Excella (to my knowledge) leaves the factory with just about all the options installed, what does theat 5100# represent?
Base weight (no options) or the "Excella" weight (optioned as it left the factory) ?
I understand neither of these would include any fluids/gases/etc...
I know this topic has been beat to death, but none really address it in this manner.

Thanx, Bill
Bill, As others have stated..check your VIN tag on the side of your A/S..It list the weight of your unit as it left the factory.
The comments made by other to weigh your unit is dead on..
Personally, I never worry much about it as I don't travel with any of the tanks full with the exception of propane tanks. Food, almost never carry any with me as WalMart's are usually close by. Drinks are another matter...lol
Water is plentiful on the East Coast and, accordingly, I only carry abt 5 gallons on-board for those times I might need to wash hand, flush toilet, etc.
If I were to be traveling out in the Southwest, I'd load the fresh water tank plus carry extras with me.
With the cost of fuel being what it is today, you have every right to be concerned.
ciao
53FC
about the weight carried on-board.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
No tag inside the cabinet (my other SOB does have it, so I knew enough to check here first).
The VIN tag also appears generic, says 5100# and GVWR of 6800# or something like that...
So I am not sure that this is really the weight of that specific model when it leaves thre factory. Appears to me that these VIN tags are rather generic, and are put on all similiar models for those years (i.e. all 25 ft modesl, whether Sovereign, Excella, etc) get the same tag. And really, the actual weight could vary by several hundred pounds based on options.

There are no guidelines in the owners manual either...

Ther reasons I ask are; some SOB manufacturers now weigh each trailer as it leaves the factory. That is what you see on the tag inside the cabinet-a failry accurate actual weight as delivered.

I know ultimately I must weigh it, but there are no scales convenient to me. The closest scale I know of is several hours away, and I wont be heading up there untill I am loaded up and heading out on vacation! (Unless I make the trip just for that purpose...that is not easy to do, time is always tight).

I guess the best answer is to get it weighed and stop guessing...

Bill
Old 05-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
BillTex,

the 5100lb # is the weight as shown ,the 6800lb# is the load rating of the coach ,what the max is loaded up with all your stuff.i would not look at the vin tag as generic,airstream didn,t just put any old weight on the vin.Your vin has to reflect the correct weight of your coach.between the 25ftrs the options are not going to be hundreds of pounds different between them .Different bed arrangements or bath placements are not going to be that different.Believing that your weight cant be what your vin tag shows tells me that you need to be convinced in some way.What options do you think would weigh SEVERAL HUNDRED pounds more? Many vintage coaches have different layouts ,the same 60 trdwnds with different layouts seem to weigh about the same,in62 63 64 and so on the coaches weigh more as they get newer,but not the same size of the same year i.e. to 65 trtdwnds .So dont let yourself be overwelmed on the weight .Go with your vin ,thats the most accurate info you have with out weghing it.My 60 trdwnd weighs 3150lbs# according to airstream.I do not need to go weigh it .I would if I felt the stuff I loaded it with could exceed the gvwr,gross vehical weight rating.I dont come near that loaded .When you register at the DMV and they want to know the weight of the coach,they look at your vin tag on your registration and certificate of title ,unless you have neither ,then they will make you weigh it.Speculating about ,or worrying will make you crazy over it.Thats the best advice I can provide to you. load your family and gear and get to airstreaming.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
So the 5100# is the dry weight as THAT coach left the factory?

I guess the options I had in mind, that could equal several hundred #, would be things like; A/C, carpet, rock guards, different construction of cabinets, etc.

Yeah, I am not worried about, just curious. Must be the engineer in me...

Thanx all, guess I better make it to the scale at some point!

Bill