Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Drop Receiver - Leave It Hitched Up to the Airstream?

I guess I sound kind of lazy ... but ... is there any option I have of leaving the Blue Ox drop receiver hooked up to the Airstream rather than removing it every time after a trip? My biggest concern is not making is simple for a thief to back up and slide the drop receiver into position on their tow vehicle and drive off with our Airstream.

But this piece of equipment sure is heavy to remove each time ... it's a great setup ... but it sure is heavy and a bit of a workout to install and remove each trip. Even though we're in secured storage ... I don't trust any thief ... I wouldn't even feel comfortable leaving it all hooked up when we arrive at our campsite either ... but I sure would like an alternative to this back breaking task. Any ideas out there?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
You might leave it in place, but, buy a locking hitch pin. That would stop most people form messing with it.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Never heard of leaving it hooked up to the AS. I leave mine hooked up to the truck. Anyone leave it hooked to the trailer and disconnected from the truck? I think that is what the op is asking. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I made a little four wheeled cart for my BO drop bar. At the most the lift is just a few inches.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I often latch the hitch head in the coupler when camping. After unhooking I hold the ball up in the coupler and have my wife lock the coupler latch. It keeps the hitch head out of the way and the kids don't get grease all over themselves when they inevitably brush up against it.

I wouldn't park the trailer in storage with the hitch head attached to the trailer, as you said, too easy to steal. I keep a 36x36' sheet of 1/4 plywood that I put on the floor of the trailer when it's storred, the hitch head, bars and gas grill sit on the plywood to keep the floor clean. It's not far from the door of the trailer to the hitch on the truck so I don't mind carrying the hitch head that far, and since I never set it on the ground I don't have to lift it, just carry it.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Besides the locking pin, is there a way you can wrap the chains around it tight so the bar is hanging down and put a lock on it?
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I always leave the coupler hooked to the ball when we're in a campground. Just get a good padlock on the couple latch, and your normal locking hitch pin in the shank.....I don't ever leave the shank/trunnion head in the truck receiver. In today's tight parking lots, it would be very easy to "bury" that trunnion/ball in the side of somebody's car....

Just sayin'

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I have started lately leaving the hitch locked in place in campgrounds ... i can spin it to the side and lock everything together...then I have a bag cover which mostly puts it out of direct sight and makes it look better. I store it in the garage at home though. I think you can make it very secure, but any really determined thief will probably figure a way if its what he wants! I think most other rigs in a campground have an open hitch and would be easier to take.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote