Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Dolly Wheel

hi everyones and all my wishes for this new year 2003;

i've gotten the owner manual, thank you smily one more time, and apparently the Airstreams TT were equiped from the Airstream factory with a dolly wheel... On mine, there is only the electrical feet .
You certainly know than , in European campgrounds, there are not so many areas than in USA camps, to well move your caravan to be well oriented in small space, or to move " by hand " the caravan, near the electrical plugs... so the dolly wheel is really necessarry.
i've searched one in FRANCE, so the tonghweight is too much important, compared at what they can support, so I need an airstream or US model.
Where can I find that ?

thank you by advance,

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dolly Wheel

Greetings Bruno!

I don't know whether the small dolly wheel that Airstream offered with its Vintage trailers would actually accomplish what you desire. My understanding is that the dolly wheel is meant for shifting the trailer the small amount left or right necessary to get the coupler to align with the ball mount. I do know that some of these dolly wheels will not fit on the electric jacks due to the size of the jack post - - mine fits the Minuet's manual jack just fine, but the socket is too small for the base on the electric jack on my '64 Overlander (26').

I have neighbors with a smaller, lighter trailer and they use a device similar to the one at the URL below when manuevering their trailer into its driveway parking area:

Trailer Mover

At one time, these were available with greater capacities than the one listed but they may have been discontinued.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Power wheel

Bruno, I have a electrically powered castor that moves my boat and trailer - it is also strong enough to push/pull it uphill!. The only problem for you would be 110/220 converstion, but you may email the company, they may have a solution. This device has saved my back and prevented hernias! My parking area for the boat is too close to pull in by van, and too uphill to push. Go to "powercaster.com" If this link doesn't work, let me know. It attaches to the electic jack of the tongue. You may have to externally jack the trailer up to put the powercaster unter your jack unit. On the boat trailer, you have to put an adaptor on the trailer frame. Also, "Overtons.com" also has a dolly that attaches to the ball tongue socket - they have bigger wheels for bigger trailers, but pushing 5000+ lbs of trailer is not my idea of fun! Good luck!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
small dolly wheel only

Thank you Overlander64;

I've seen your site so no individually dolly wheel to mount on the jack bar;
I 'm sure it'll be very usefull to everyone to well center the hitchball with the caravan.

no members can give me adresses ?

thank you,

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I don't know what size your jack is, but 1 5/8" and 2" 1000 lb. here.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote