Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Doing dumb stuff so you don't have to

Just because I didn't take physics in high school . . .

went over to get AS ready for weekend trip, unfortunately first of the spring...

the new covered storage is a bit snug, so i had backed the AS all the way to the chain link fence that separates the two sides of covered storage.

so i wanted to connect the refrigerator to shore power over night so that it would be ready to go tomorrow

of course the power cord is in the back storage compartment up against the fence... a tight squeeze if i wanted to get it out

so i thought, why not just bumper pull the AS a couple of feet to give myself some clearance.

so i jack it up, back the truck up, put the hitch on the ball and power the jack back down, except it just goes lower and lower and the jack is not coming out of the jack stand. finally i get it just about there and the fuse blows.

so now i have my truck stuck on the trailer, fuse is back at the house 12 miles away because, you know, i was just going to run over there for a couple of things, no need to bring the tools

and I can't get the trailer off the ball.

Thank God Toyota sees fit to put bottle jacks in Tundras. Out comes the jack, carefully placing it under the front fork, crank it up enough to get the truck out, (just barely)

then off to the nearest auto parts store for replacement fuses

so the moral to the story

1. Make sure you always take the tools

2. Tongue weight is a bit too heavy to try to get hitched up without WD hitch

3. Always have a replacement fuse

so just in case you ever considered this, You Are Welcome!

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up What to put in your AS tool kit......

......All the things you can think of plus the one thing you'll need that you FORGOT!!

.......Every time another tool thread starts I have to post this.

Tools explained.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The power jack can be manually operated. There is a tool. Somewhere in the owners packet is a booklet on this, if it is still available. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Robert Cross, your "tools explained" is classic. It needs to be posted on the Facebook Airstream Addicts page.

Mike
Old 05-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The power jack can be manually operated. There is a tool. Somewhere in the owners packet is a booklet on this, if it is still available. Good luck!

You mean that tool that was back at the house in my toolbox?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Thank you Robert cross for lightening my mood

Dana

Old 05-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bob, brilliant list but you forgot the sometimes most important tool in the shop.
The "thinking chair", that place where you go to regroup when all else fails.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
You mean that tool that was back at the house in my toolbox?

That's the one! I leave mine with the trailer with stabilizer jack tool also.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari
Toronto , Ontario
Robert
I couldn't get to the end of your post in one try because I was laughing so hard my eyes teared up. I completely lost it half way through the last point, the SON-OF -A-BITCH tool. That was by far the favorite and most familiar tool to all of us. Brilliant post!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Expect the unexpected. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarb57 View Post
Robert
I couldn't get to the end of your post in one try because I was laughing so hard my eyes teared up. I completely lost it half way through the last point, the SON-OF -A-BITCH tool. That was by far the favorite and most familiar tool to all of us. Brilliant post!
I can only add AMEN! Best post I've read....
Old 05-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Henderson , Kentucky
Correcting a couple of omissions from the list:

GLOVE: Hand-shaped leather or canvas item used to protect the surface of a workbench or drawer.

SQUARE: Alignment aid sometimes used with SKIL SAW to insure too-short studs have perfectly square ends.

CHISEL: (See Straight Screwdriver, Pry Bar)

SLEDGE HAMMER: Large tool used when a normal hammer doesn't do enough damage, or for splintering shins.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Bob, your tool list was SO funny! Hilarious!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
......All the things you can think of plus the one thing you'll need that you FORGOT!!

.......Every time another tool thread starts I have to post this.

Tools explained.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
love it!