Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The friction sway control devices work and I almost had a wreck a while back when I hit a rough patch of road and swerved. The trailer starting oscillating. I hit the trailer brakes and things calmed down. I had loosened the friction bar because that is what the instructions say while towing in the rain. DON'T ever do this because then you have no sway control. Any tail wagging event can start the trailer swaying if you don't have enough damping or a sway eliminating hitch. I was lucky and I knew what to do to by hitting the trailer brakes.

Perry

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The friction sway control devices work and I almost had a wreck a while back when I hit a rough patch of road and swerved. The trailer starting oscillating. I hit the trailer brakes and things calmed down. I had loosened the friction bar because that is what the instructions say while towing in the rain. DON'T ever do this because then you have no sway control. Any tail wagging event can start the trailer swaying if you don't have enough damping or a sway eliminating hitch. I was lucky and I knew what to do to by hitting the trailer brakes.

Perry
The Reese torsion sway control, works even under water.

The reason the friction sway control must be released when in the rain is that it can cause a loss of control accident, by being unable to move, which in turn causes the trailer or tow vehicle to skid.

Andy

Andy

Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
There are still more Reese and other older hitches on the road that the combination of Arrows and Proprides, so this thread is relevant. To be scientifically correct, PP and Arrow minimize tail wagging, but do not eliminate it. Their 4 bar linkage simulates, or transposes, the pivot point to about the center line of the rear wheels of the TV. This is similar to what a Pullrite, 5th wheel, or a semitrailer truck does. The bow waive effect, from the passing trailer truck, is still there, but its effect on the steering effort need by you is minimized by the shift of the pivot point. The old International IH's, with the blunt nose cab-over design, were the worst.
The way I understand it, the Hensley/ProPride linkage not only projects the pivot point forward, it also "locks" the trailer from moving out of alignment with the tow vehicle. Only the tow vehicle steering can change the alignment. That would be an additional factor to prevent sway that fifth wheel and semi trailers do not have.

There is a video somewhere demonstrating that additional feature with a Lego model. Quite interesting, anybody have the link?

That is what makes the driving experience in buffeting side winds and bow wave from passing trucks so much more pleasant than other sway control hitches.

There are limits for sure. If the side forces on the trailer were extreme, the whole unit, truck and trailer could lose traction. For example another vehicle hitting the trailer, or extreme straight line wind in front of a severe thunderstorm. That's a matter of safe driving or sensing when to get off the roadway. It is not "tail wagging" that will get you, it's the extreme force.

doug
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

I think we are having a few different conversations

Some of us are talking about stopping the tail from wagging by using anti sway controllers. I would like to add that the tail doesn't have to be wagging, to affect the tow vehicle. If you are slowing down to quick on a curve, the trailer can push around the rear end of the tow vehicle, especially on gravel. This situation, and oscillating sway, are controlled by applying just the trailer brakes. Also, I can really feel it when my water tank is half full. The weight of the water sloshing around can really be felt.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
The video above was a major selling point for me. After 5 weeks of RVing I am aware that I have a trailer behind me but no real feelings of the tail wagging the dog.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why the tail can't wag the dog.

The Hensley/ProPride linkage demonstrated with a model:

Lego Hensley Arrow Model - YouTube

doug
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I bet I could make one of these cheaper than buying one if I had one to look at.

Perry
Old 08-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Perhaps it is because we have a BIG van, and a tiny trailer, but we have never felt our trailer do anything even the slightest bit out of control behind us. It follows along in a perfectly well behaved manner, even when being passed by speeding semi's and being buffeted by strong winds coming off the Columbia. Even if we've forgotten to hook up our friction sway control. Even when we switched to towing on the ball alone with no WD. Indeed we may feel a little push from big trucks passing, but I would feel that in the slab-sided van anyway. Of course on the next trip out, everything could go to hell, who knows, but the last ten years have been extremely uneventful. Sometimes after reading these threads on here, I wonder if I should get out while I'm ahead.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In over 50 years of driving I've never needed my seat belt, always a PIA to hook up and added a bundle to the cost of my cars and trucks over the years.

I wonder if I really need it.

doug
Old 08-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
In over 50 years of driving I've never needed my seat belt, always a PIA to hook up and added a bundle to the cost of my cars and trucks over the years.

I wonder if I really need it.
LOL Do you feel lucky?
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Why the tail can't wag the dog.

The Hensley/ProPride linkage demonstrated with a model:

Lego Hensley Arrow Model - YouTube

doug
Funny how he barely moves the Hensley and wiggles the other like crazy.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It can cause a loss of control incident if it is loose as well. The only circumstance where I would see it would lead to problems is when the trailer is hydroplaning, in which case you are already in trouble.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The Reese torsion sway control, works even under water.

The reason the friction sway control must be released when in the rain is that it can cause a loss of control accident, by being unable to move, which in turn causes the trailer or tow vehicle to skid.

Andy

Andy
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Funny how he barely moves the Hensley and wiggles the other like crazy.
That's the point. With a similar amount of force applied, the Hensley setup doesn't move.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Hi

I prefere that lego video

ProPride 3P Hitch Lego Model - YouTube

WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote