Old 07-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Dayum. As in life, no free lunches in tow vehicle land. Oh well. At this point I'm tempted to just get a 2500 mega cab with 6.4 Hemi, add a nice Corsa exhaust system and call it a day. I've spent a month obsessing over pieces of a puzzle that I can't put together due to inexperience. Guess I will have to get that behind the wheel. Just trying to avoid the mistakes so many others have made. Thanks for the insights guys and gals. I appreciate it.

Dan

Old 07-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Your warranty will be void in your $23,000 engine if you do a egr def delete.Not wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 PM   #59
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Attachment 244367

Sorry but I own one (my second one in 3 years) and I disagree with you.With nothing in the bed or with my Can Am Outlander Max ATV in the box the truck rides smoother than it did with my 2010 F150 Supercrew wiith my 28ft Airstream attached.The F250 and the F350 ride the same unloaded as they share the same primary leaf spring but as you increase the load the additional springs come into play as needed.A F250 will sag when hooked to a 28ft and the payload is not that much better than a F150.When a F150 is maxed out on payload it has no give whatsoever in the rear suspension when you hit a bump or a pothole (this I know as I towed the same trailer with one for 10,000 miles) the F350 takes bumps in stride and softens the blow.I did install a Airsafe hitch which works as it should and allows the trailer to float even with the wd hitch.1/2 ton trucks could also benefit from the Airsafe.
I agree you're right on this subject, and for the record I never said anything about the ride, just asked why bigger than the 2500. Also, the OP asked about the Ram's not Ford's.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I was a hard core to the bone diesel pu man for years.. The Cummins is a great engine but the last time I traded I got honest with myself.. What % of my total miles do I need that extra edge along with the fact at that time diesel fuel was 70 cents a gallon more in price..

I ended up saving the $7700 diesel option and have enjoyed going with the little hemi.. It handles our 72 Overlander just fine.. Only when above 8000 feet in the Colo hills do I miss that extra power of the turbo diesel.. Since we only make that trip once a year at most,, its not a problem.. Just drop back a few gears and keep the rpms up the little hemi is that little engine that could.

I did get the Tradesman package with the 4x4 and 3.92 posi gearing.. Empty mpg pushes 20mpg all the time,, and towing I can see 12mpg ..
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
For us, it will be every weekend we use ours. Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn have some pretty steep grades. Again, it's not just the paved roads, it's the secondary roads that lead to other places of interest camping, fishing, etc. Lots of gravel roads and such. May be fine with Hemi, but hard to say. Really hard to make a decision like this without having towed anything heavy in mountains. That video didn't help, but I conceed that was a rare scenario, and 12k lb load. Nearing double what we would tow.

If anyone is familiar with the 45 mile stretch between Asheville,NC and Johnson City,Tenn, that's one of my main concerns with Hemi. Constant up and down, my Tahoe screams and hunts for gears, not towing.

Dan

We have a 2006 Classic 31, and 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins Diesel Laramie. We have made the run through the NC mountains up 321 through Hickory and Lenoir to Boone many times and have passed lesser powered vehicles going up the mountain. More importantly, we find that the engine in Tow-haul mode going downhill is incredible- we hardly need to touch the brakes. Once we ended up on "The Snake" by accident..this is the twisty, windy road up and down mountains from Mountain City, TN to Bristol,TN- once on it, there is nowhere to turn around until you get to Shady Valley. While I would never recommend this route towing anything, the Cummins performed flawlessly. There was never an issue of power and the engine held us back on the downhill runs. My husband loves this truck! And it is quiet and comfortable- so I am happy in the passenger seat. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a Volkswagen diesel (45 mpg) for a "family" car and a Ram Hemi 5.7 gas pickup truck (12-13 mpg towing) for towing our Airstream. They both perform their respective duties flawlessly. Hope this helps.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post

Once we ended up on "The Snake" by accident..this is the twisty, windy road up and down mountains from Mountain City, TN to Bristol,TN- once on it, there is nowhere to turn around until you get to Shady Valley. While I would never recommend this route towing anything, the Cummins performed flawlessly.

I know that stretch as well. Only had flatbed whitewater raft trailer behind us, but could see where it would be work with any camper. We were taking the 'back way' to South Holtson River fly fishing.

Dan
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #64
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I have never towed with a diesel so I don't know for sure, but I would think that the greatest benefit of the diesel would be in rolling type terrain. Less gear shifts and power available for the next hill immediately.

I don't mind running my gasser at full tilt up a long incline but the constant power on power off stuff gets taxing.

Am I wrong here?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #65
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I have never towed with a diesel so I don't know for sure, but I would think that the greatest benefit of the diesel would be in rolling type terrain. Less gear shifts and power available for the next hill immediately.

I don't mind running my gasser at full tilt up a long incline but the constant power on power off stuff gets taxing.

Am I wrong here?
The solution is for you to manually shift. I don't have the problem. In tow haul, I usually manually shift. If that's happening, put it in 3rd and keep it there.

Downshifting isn't just for going down hills.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #66
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The solution is for you to manually shift. I don't have the problem. In tow haul, I usually manually shift. If that's happening, put it in 3rd and keep it there.

Downshifting isn't just for going down hills.
Yup. That's exactly what I do. Was wondering if the diesel would help that.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
With out Ram 1500 gas Hemi we set the rpm about 2200 rpm with fourth gear at 60-65 mph and leave it there to avoid automatic up/down shifts when towing cross-country and the hills, dips, and wind changes we encounter along the way. Now and then there is flat land and no wind so we might move the gearshift to give us 1800 rpm.

At 2100-2200 rpm it is effortless and relaxing driving, easy on the engine and transmission (which has a 1:1 ratio in fourth gear), and the gas mileage is as good at steady rpm as it is shifting up and down for hills and wind.

Love this gas engine, it's low purchase and maintenance costs, and how smoothly it runs, even when revving up to power range climbing and best compression engine braking descending the steep grades. It shines as a daily driver.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I still drive the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke. Pulls like a champ.

Down the road when the family is smaller I'd go with a diesel pickup.

I never really noticed the hills until I started towing.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Having owned both, I prefer diesels.

Yes, people talk about the "break even" point etc is very high mileage on diesel vs gas etc.

Really for me it comes down to driving dynamics. For towing and off-road I much prefer the effortless grunt and low RPM operation and NVH of a diesel to a high strung gasser that needs to rev up to make its power. Plus on the highway diesels get better fuel economy, generally have larger fuel tanks so that means less wasted time at fuel stations.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Given a 1000 mile trip towing how often does a diesel system clean the particulate filter? Is the interval different in the Ford vs GM vs Ram?

Kelvin