Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Question Does my intended usage warrant going with diesel?

First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' AS through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an AS, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy? Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Diesel engines historically have lasted longer than their gas counterparts. And you wouldn't be disappointed in the towing power. I use my GMC 2500 Duramax as my daily driver. I work from home and when not traveling have a similar driving pattern as you describe. Haven't been disappointed yet.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
If you intend to keep the truck for a number of years, then yes, diesel is the way to go. That being said, reading your intended use, I'm wondering why you want a 3500 instead of a 2500.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

So I can get the AISIN transmission.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Either engine would do the job fine.
If your buying a 2013 or newer Dodge you would be fine with either engine. Diesel emissions changed in 2013 and got better, more reliable. You will of course get better resale with the diesel engine.
I have the 68RFE transmission and it is fine. If you were hauling extreme weights if would worth upgrading to the Aisin as it is supposed to be a true medium duty truck transmission. Historically the 68RFE transmission has been reliable unless the truck gets a hotrod chip which eats up the overdrive clutches. The transmission in the 6.4 engine is the 66RFE - essentially the same as the 68RFE used in the diesel but tuned for the gas engine.
If it were me I would just have the 2500 for better ride comfort and call it a day. You could take the $2400 and put it towards a nice truck cap. I have seen some nice highly appointed gas engines go for a good discount if you decide not to go diesel.
I have the diesel engine - Towing is fun!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The 2500 with coil spring and 5-link rear suspension is a better choice.

The 6.4L would be the only real upgrade I'd do. Just because I like HP.

I think you may be hung up re transmissions as crispyboy sez. It's the idiots who bypass factory programming. These are people who abuse trucks. Not reliable sources.

The 6.4l is more than enough for a 14k fiver in the steep mountains of BC Canada. See IB516s reports on WOODALLS. Ex diesel owner. Plenty of overkill for an A/S. And good reports on mpg for highway solo. 18-20.

Your DD use is hard on any vehicle. Leave the block heater plugged in year round.

Today's diesels are far too complicated. And your use in any case is contraindicated.

Order what you will. But in your use the diesel won't outlast the gasser. Today's gas motors are strong performers past 200k.

For an A/S the period of diesel applicability was 1997-2007. Too expensive with no offsetting benefits since then versus gasoline from any of the big three.

And the latest gas motors are far beyond what was available in 2007. Today it's as much about programming as about displacement. Pickups are computers with a truck attached.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
In my opinion go with either a gasser and use it for everything, or a diesel plus a low-end boring daily driver (Ram for tow/haul, and POS for DD).

Rumor is that the Cummins *generally* likes to see some longer highway driving, and less stop and go, due to emissions modes - it may go into regen mode often if exhaust gas temps aren't high enough to burn off all the soot or do whatever's going on downstream of the turbo. Too much stop and go may lead to clogging of the particular filter. I'm simply repeating what I've read on places like cumminsforum.com (great resource, check it out if you haven't yet), so please don't necessarily take this as fact.

Either way a 2500 would probably do you fine, but what size/weight Airstream will you pull?

I'm a sucker for the Cummins so went that route, but don't rule out the Hemi. Plenty people run the 68RFE with no issues and there's no guarantee the Aisin will be problem-free. The thing is... there's no guarantee ANYTHING will be problem-free.

Ran into someone recently pulling hefty (10K+) fiver with his '15 Hemi Ram (can't remember which trans, probably the 68RFE) and he absolutely loved it, no problems towing.

One important consideration between 2500 and 3500 is your real axle gear ratio! In recent years, now with ALL auto transmissions on the Ram 2500 you are limited to the 3.42:1 rear axle gears. Factory option 3.73 or 4.10 are no longer available! This may be more important on the gasser, as the diesel has more torque to deal with the taller 3.42 gears. So if you want more towing torque on a gasser, that may be a good reason to go with the 3500 over the 2500 - just make sure you order that option if you're going special order, or if buying off the lot just make sure you know what it comes with. That said, check the forums, as these auto trans may be okay with the 3.42 (I have no experience there). Tradeoff with fuel economy of course...

Current setup here is a '15 Cummins bone stock with 6-speed manual and 3.42 gears, plus a daily driver. With the 6-speed manual, the 3.42 gears are great. The Cummins is basically a summer-only tow/haul/workhorse (also keeps the New England salt/crud off it), daily driver for everything else. I'm towing only 3,300 lbs trailer plus passengers and cargo, pretty light for the Cummins, but hopefully will keep it happy for years.
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Short daily trips like the ones planned for are tough on any engine, but even more so on a diesel.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
So here are my observations as a diesel owner for my Airstream and boat, who lives in admittedly NY where I get freezing and cold to deal with that you may not. Diesels like to get warmed up when the run. In the winter I often take a 10 mile drive to go the grocery store 3 miles away so the engine and tranny are warmed up. Given that, for when I need my tow vehicle I would still choose the diesel I have. I just accept that when things are a bit cool outside I might get a bit more "sight seeing" time to be sure my engine temperatures are happy and I maximize the life expectancy of my truck. Sorry to deviate away from the "gears, HP, etc." where folks are headed. Just my input from someone who often has short drive needs except when towing.

And, I use cetane booster when it gets cold. And, I use the block heater when it drops below 18 as things get warmer faster so I can still keep my 3 mile "milk run where the store lies" to 20 miles. Another tip is I do travel for business and have found I need a 25 and 50 foot extension cord in the cab so I can find an outlet and keep plugged in when I want to.

Just my way of doing things. There are enough opinions coming to you that you can pick and choose what you need. Good luck!!
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' AS through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an AS, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy? Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan

NC

You will ordinarily get 200,000 plus miles from a gasser, according to my real world experience, of the big three diesel pick up makers, Dodge is going to be the to be the cheapest to repair and maintain to 200,000 miles, but all of them will be more trouble and more expensive to own and repair than a similar truck with a gas engine.

Diesels are expensive to fix, and THEY DO break.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post

Sorry to deviate away from the "gears, HP, etc." where folks are headed. Just my input from someone who often has short drive needs except when towing.

Thanks. Your comment here is at the very heart of my concern. Thanks.

Dan
Old 07-30-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The 2500 with coil spring and 5-link rear suspension is a better choice.

The 6.4L would be the only real upgrade I'd do. Just because I like HP.

I think you may be hung up re transmissions as crispyboy sez. It's the idiots who bypass factory programming. These are people who abuse trucks. Not reliable sources.

The 6.4l is more than enough for a 14k fiver in the steep mountains of BC Canada. See IB516s reports on WOODALLS. Ex diesel owner. Plenty of overkill for an A/S. And good reports on mpg for highway solo. 18-20.

Your DD use is hard on any vehicle. Leave the block heater plugged in year round.

Today's diesels are far too complicated. And your use in any case is contraindicated.

Order what you will. But in your use the diesel won't outlast the gasser. Today's gas motors are strong performers past 200k.

For an A/S the period of diesel applicability was 1997-2007. Too expensive with no offsetting benefits since then versus gasoline from any of the big three.

And the latest gas motors are far beyond what was available in 2007. Today it's as much about programming as about displacement. Pickups are computers with a truck attached.

If I felt that way, I would likely just go with the Hemi. I test drive the 6.4 Hemi and CTD yesterday. While I thought both felt strong, the diesel certainly felt more powerful. That doesn't mean that I need it. But simply put, if I want a motor to last 15+ years, it stands to reason the less I push it, the less wear and tear I will put on it. Then last night I see this video of Hemi 6.4 struggling (miserably) to haul 12k lbs up the Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. It's hard to unring a bell.

Scroll to 15 min 30 sec and listen...

Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
If I felt that way, I would likely just go with the Hemi. I test drive the 6.4 Hemi and CTD yesterday. While I thought both felt strong, the diesel certainly felt more powerful. That doesn't mean that I need it. But simply put, if I want a motor to last 15+ years, it stands to reason the less I push it, the less wear and tear I will put on it. Then last night I see this video of Hemi 6.4 struggling (miserably) to haul 12k lbs up the Ike Gauntlet in Colorado. It's hard to unring a bell.

Scroll to 15 min 30 sec and listen...

The CTD hs 800ft/lbs of torque. The 6.4 Hemi has 429ft/lb of torque.

To put that into perspective, my 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi is rated at 410ft/lb of torque.

Torque turns your wheels, not horsepower. So of that's why the CTD feels more powerful. It is more powerful. And if you do the math for for drivetrain loss at 15% and then altitude the CTD is still way ahead of the 6.4L.

Now the 6.4L is probably fine and dandy under most situations. I have only noticed my lack of torque 2 separate times now. And I've already done A LOT of mountain towing. Just not the 11% grade of the Ike.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Don't be afraid of the dodge 3/4 ton with the 6 speed from Chrysler, it is solid, with it you have plenty of reserve power, try it you will like it....mine has sure been good...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have two other comments on the good posts from above.
cold weather - your 5-7 mile trips in the winter will be a pain with the diesel unless it is plugged in or kept under cover. It will take forever to thaw the windshield and put some heat into the cab. I used to have VW jetta that would take forever to thaw out in the winter. I have remedied this with a garage for my truck.
The gas trucks have a gear ratio of 3:73 and 4:10 but the diesel only get the 3:42 in the 2500 and single wheel 3500.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Torque turns your wheels, not horsepower. So of that's why the CTD feels more powerful. It is more powerful. And if you do the math for for drivetrain loss at 15% and then altitude the CTD is still way ahead of the 6.4L.

Torque starts the wheels turning. HP determines how fast they keep turning, especially on a grade. The diesel may feel more powerful because it doesn't need to shift as often. It may also maintain power better at altitude due to the forced induction. But it isn't more powerful, other things being equal. We measure that characteristic with HP, not torque. And the manufacturers conveniently publish those figures.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Does my intended usage warrant going with diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Torque starts the wheels turning. HP determines how fast they keep turning, especially on a grade. The diesel may feel more powerful because it doesn't need to shift as often. It may also maintain power better at altitude due to the forced induction. But it isn't more powerful, other things being equal. We measure that characteristic with HP, not torque. And the manufacturers conveniently publish those figures.

Lol,where did you come up with this?Without torque you could have 1000hp and the vehicle can't pull itself much less a trailer.

As for short trip driving modern diesels are as good as gas vehicles actually better as the fuel they burn is a lubricant and gas is a solvent.Cold dry starts wear gasoline engines more quickly for that reason and Diesel engines last longer..
Diesels are also cheaper to drive for short terms also.If you buy all the right popular options in a good color and take care of it.Resale is high as used ones are in demand as some people won't even look at a new one (Even though they could almost buy a new one for close to the same money).Used truck departments rely on this.
It's funny to read the answers in this post from the majority of people who obviously have never owned a newer diesel TV.But that is what makes this forum entertaining.

Oh by the way I have yet to plug in my engine block heater on my 2012 or my 2015 with low temps of -15 degrees.My defroster works fine.my maintainence is cheap.And my truck pulls like a freight train in the mountains.And is quiet as a gas cruising down the road.You will love it as do the others that own them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for chiming in man. Was hoping you would. What is it specifically about newer diesels that makes them more accommodating to stop and go, shorter trips, sort of driving? Thanks for any additional insights.

Dan
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri

As I explained its the diesel fuel lubricating properties.The biggest wear item for any engine is the initial startup.It takes time for oil to circulate and with gasoline engine the cylinders are dry vs prelubed with diesel fuel.Starting and shutting off in a short distance has little effect.That is the reason Diesel engines traditionally last much longer.Fuel is lubrication and not a solvent like gasoline.

I am not a dyed in the wool diesel guy but for pulling larger Airstreams
there is no equal and I have driven them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Torque and HP are inextricably linked to one another, they will always be the same at 5252 RPM.

One can NOT have 1000 HP and little to no torque, however, one CAN have 1000 pounds of torque and only a fraction of a horsepower.

All one needs is a long wrench.

Torque = twisting force
HP = torque @ velocity

Torque is a component of HP.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote