Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Do you know your TV and A/S turning ratios?

Hi all:

NINE days....in NINE days, my beautiful A/S is arriving from Sausalito California to my uniquely shaped driveway. So, my question to all those experts out there is:
Do you know how to figure out the turning ratio of a truck and A/S? I am trying to not lose sleep wondering it it will make the turn into the driveway.
There's more than one sharp turn in my driveway because of the way it's set back from the road, and it splits off from my neighbour.

Would love some input. I like my sleep! I'm much nicer when I have it.
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Very difficult question to answer because it depends a lot on the tow vehicle, but I will tell you with most any typical tow vehicle you can turn a 30 footer around in a normal sized culdesac (SP?).
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The simple turning radius is not going to answer your question. The width of the driveway comes into consideration as a trailer does not follow the TVs tracks.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I think the only way to know is to spend some time in a parking driving around in circles.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Do NOT back in by yourself. please have a "spotter" and when backing, turn down/off the trailer brakes.

As posted, you cannot ml know the "radius of the turn" but it will be dependent upon your skill and TV as to how the trailer will repond. I back my 34' on a 45 degree angle to the street and use about 12-16' of the width on side of house.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Some times there is no alternative to backing by one's self. It is a valuable skill that everyone in the trailer needs to develop. Frequently get out and look at your position and progress. It is not a race.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may question this at first but the longer a trailer is the easier it is to back up. It all comes down to reaction time.

If there are trees involved make sure you watch your outside front fender on the TV. They have a habit of kissing the tree you did not see as you attempt to straighten the combination out.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The turning radius of my rig (27' FB plus F-250 Crew Cab with Extended bed) is basically Arizona.

Seriously, though, the advice you have been given about going to a large empty parking lot and practicing a variety of maneuvers is very sound. Also, make sure you have a spotting partner to help keep you from damaging something. My wife and I use walkie-talkies which we find more helpful than hand signals or yelling.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Do NOT back in by yourself. please have a "spotter" and when backing, turn down/off the trailer brakes.

As posted, you cannot ml know the "radius of the turn" but it will be dependent upon your skill and TV as to how the trailer will repond. I back my 34' on a 45 degree angle to the street and use about 12-16' of the width on side of house.
Agreed on the use of a spotter. Prior to us both carrying cell phones without roaming restrictions, we used to use two way radios. Saved a lot of yelling and if Patty got out of my sight, I'd still know where I was going.

Practice is what you need. I remember when I got my first travel trailer, I went up to a business that was closed on Sunday. I took two plastic trash cans with brooms placed in them. With that I set up backing points with the trash cans. If I screwed up, the trash can tipped over and no harm was done. Today I prefer back in sites. At home I have to navigate a cul-de-sac and back into my drive which is on the cup-de-sac. It took a few times to figure the angles but it's pretty much cut and dry today. I know the spots, when to turn and the angles. I can back the trailer into the drive without the trailer or tow vehicle tires ever touching the center island curb.

One thing I am curious about is the statement about turning down or off the trailer brakes. I've been towing with electric trailer brakes since 1982 and I never have had any issues with trailer brakes when backing. Is there an issue here that I never have experienced?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
One thing I am curious about is the statement about turning down or off the trailer brakes. I've been towing with electric trailer brakes since 1982 and I never have had any issues with trailer brakes when backing. Is there an issue here that I never have experienced?

Jack
There is NO REASON to turn the trailer brakes off. They come in handy when backing down a hill.

Trailer brakes work in both directions. While they are designed to apply more force while going forward you still need them while backing.

If you are question your ability to back up a trailer start with this exorcize. Find a large parking lot, most commercial lots are empty on the weekends. Drive along one side of the lot, about 20 ft. off the edge of the lot on the drivers side, for a couple hundred feet to the far end. Now back the trailer up all the way to where you started keeping the trailer 20 ft off the edge. Once you can do this comfortably do it on the passenger side. If the lot has parking spots marked off, drive down one of the isles and back into a spot on the drivers side. I say drivers side because it is easier to control a trailer while backing to that side. Then try backing into a spot on the "Blind Side", passenger side.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you are question your ability to back up a trailer start with this exorcize. Find a large parking lot, most commercial lots are empty on the weekends. Drive along one side of the lot, about 20 ft. off the edge of the lot on the drivers side, for a couple hundred feet to the far end. Now back the trailer up all the way to where you started keeping the trailer 20 ft off the edge.
Very good advice! Being able to back the trailer straight for a couple hundred feet goes a long way towards preparing you to back it up while turning. DO NOT underestimate the difficulty of backing up straight or the value of being able to do so competently!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having backed into dozens of spots in truck stops (about 3' on each side) and many campgrounds IMO one does not want to use a spotter. Simply learn the technique, and do it very slowly. In some campgrounds where the space is irregular, poorly marked, I.e., difficult to see landmarks while backing, I will often get out and check where things are. This would be like an irregular drive.

The previous advice is good especially about making certain the TV nose does not hook a tree.

Not using a spotter for me means if I hit something it is all my fault. If I rely on my spotter and hit something.....difficult time.

Good luck

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
You've all made me feel a little bit better about being a real newbie.
My biggest concern is causing an accident or hurting someone.

I will be taking the A/S down to the town beach parking lot for LOTS of practise.

Now if only the 100 year old maples weren't lining the driveway!

Thank you so much!
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
KiraR - my wife and I spent our first weekend with our trailer at a local Commercial Drivers License (CDL) training center that offered an RV Safe Drivers course. 80% of the exercises were backing up (which told us the going forward part was going to be easier than expected :-) ).

Highly recommended!!

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
jcanavera:
If memory serves me, unlikely, older trailer brake controllers used a mechanical system, many were spring held ball-bering, some were pendulum types, & various other mechanical designs used to determine braking force…current to brakes, bla,bla (insert tech stuff)

One of my older controllers, circa 1980's (I was only 5 or 6 yrs old then), was a problem when backing & I had to change/lower the sensitivity setting to keep the trailer brakes from dragging. My biggest problem was remembering to re-set it afterwards.

KiraR:
A Lot of good advice here. I used to drive a co. truck that had the word/acronym G.O.A.L. on both outside mirrors, Get Out And Look
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I pondered the same thoughts. Don't worry about it...your turning radius is a lot tighter than you realize.

You'll learn that starting the turn in the right spot has much to do about where you'll finish your turn. Trial and error...and some backing up.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
You've all made me feel a little bit better about being a real newbie.
My biggest concern is causing an accident or hurting someone.

I will be taking the A/S down to the town beach parking lot for LOTS of practise.

Now if only the 100 year old maples weren't lining the driveway!

Thank you so much!
As long as you don't cut your corners too tightly when towing, most issues will occur when backing up, not going forward. Just relax and take it slow. We've all been there and 99.997% of us survived.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My Tundra turns as tight as my much smaller Pathfinder. The turning radius is the same with or without the trailer because I have a long shank on the hitch. Closer to the bumper is better for weight distribution, but with the longer shank I can turn all the way and not turn my trailer into the bumper or corner of the truck and I can let the tailgate down while coupled to the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
For maneuvering into a tricky driveway and/or storage building, I'm considering putting a front hitch on my TV (which has a 169" wheelbase). Seems like it would be MUCH easier. Anyone with thoughts or experience with a front hitch?