Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys View Post
When I exchanged the stinger for the 8 inch drop required for the Ram, the stinger "points up" more than my previous one and I couldn't get it to seat in the hitch. I was on level ground where i have always hooked up. I have had trouble in the past, but with the new stinger I spent over an hour trying and couldn't get it to work. I surely don't want to deal with that every time. My Hensley is 10+ yers old and a little "sloppy" so maybe it needs some maintenance. My previous rig was a 2007 Silverado 2500 Classic Duramax and a 2007 34 Classic. I had the Hensley and never towed without it. Towed that combo for 16k miles, but i never experienced the difficulty that i did this weekend. Maybe I'm just frustrated.

Hitching up with our Hensley has always been a bit of an adventure over the last 12 years of ownership. The technique that gives me the least indigestion is to set the angle of the Hensley head (up/down tilt) using the spring bar jacks immediately after unhooking then back in to ensure it will hook up without hanging when we break camp. This step took on more importance when we went to the 6" drop stinger needed with our RAM 2500.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenrx View Post
Hitching up with our Hensley has always been a bit of an adventure over the last 12 years of ownership. The technique that gives me the least indigestion is to set the angle of the Hensley head (up/down tilt) using the spring bar jacks immediately after unhooking then back in to ensure it will hook up without hanging when we break camp. This step took on more importance when we went to the 6" drop stinger needed with our RAM 2500.
Here is what I do not understand. I have been using a ProPride for 6 years and have always found that if I leave the jacks exactly as they were when I unhitched, then hitching back up, after I get the height back to the stinger is simple. When I have had difficulty is when the stinger or the wd jacks have been altered and until I play with the jacks to get the angle right, it is a no go. Why are people finding they need to play with the jacks?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Hensley hitches are really great for larger trailers with great side surface area as it reduces the effect of wind pushing against the sides of the trailer and TV ( bigger and higher the TV the more benefit of the Hensley ) the Hensley allows the trailer and TV to react to this force somewhat independently to control/eliminate sway. I have one for my Sport, probably overkill but I do notice a more pleasant towing experience with it.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Pittsboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Here is what I do not understand. I have been using a ProPride for 6 years and have always found that if I leave the jacks exactly as they were when I unhitched, then hitching back up, after I get the height back to the stinger is simple. When I have had difficulty is when the stinger or the wd jacks have been altered and until I play with the jacks to get the angle right, it is a no go. Why are people finding they need to play with the jacks?
Larry
I'm not familiar with how the ProPride works, but with the Hensley the spring bars need to be "relaxed" so that the stinger can be removed. Quite often the stinger can be removed leaving the head of the hitch at the wrong tilt for easy hook up later. It's in these cases I adjust the jacks to get the correct tilt. Hensley's are relatively unforgiving relative to the tilt angle needed for ease of connection.
chickenrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Yeah, I think the ProPride works the same way. Early on I found that if I unscrewed the jacks too much I could unhitch but then the angle was messed up. I learned that relaxing the wd until the bar is just very loose, then stopping, is the ticket for an easy reinsertion.
Larry
Old 09-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Yeah, I think the ProPride works the same way. Early on I found that if I unscrewed the jacks too much I could unhitch but then the angle was messed up. I learned that relaxing the wd until the bar is just very loose, then stopping, is the ticket for an easy reinsertion.
Larry
The Hensley instructions say to adjust the jacks to “sloppy loose” and then a little bit more, just to the point they are no longer sloppy and are providing support to the hitch head. I've found this works well and I usually don't have to make further adjustments.

Usually after unhitching, the tongue jack needs to be adjusted to level the trailer. It's important that it be returned to the same height as when you unhitched, before hitching up again. With a manual jack I would count the turns and make a note of it. I found it harder to get back to the right position with an electric jack, but now we're back to manual again, so it's easier.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #47
Rivet Master

I put a piece of tape on socket handle at exactly the right height for withdrawing and inserting the stinger. Most people use the look at the ball or feel it method; I found the tape more repeatable. Once I did that, it is easy out and easy in.
Larry
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I followed the instructions in the Hensley Manual ...’insert stinger into vehicle receiver, backup to within a foot or so, eyeball n’ make an adjustment in height, backup to within a few inches, adjust n’ transfer stinger to Hensley Receiver’ spray with silicone ( not WD-40 ) makes for a clean couple up. Backup camera on car really helps.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
I am seeing posts where folks are eyeballing the hitch up procedure. Maybe with a static backup cam and having issues.

I made this real easy. The backup cam via my garmin gps is mounted on a ram mount and extension. For hitch up procedures, I re-orient the camera to look at the stinger at a steep angle. It works great. I very rarely need any help while hitching up.
OutbackUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #50
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If I understand the original post, the gentleman already has the Hensley so he’s not making an additional purchase just trying to decide if he wants to continue to use it. IMO it’s like seatbelts. You don’t need them 99.9% of the time but that remaining 0.1% may be life altering. I hope I’m never in a situation to know if my Hensley worked.
I don’t find it difficult to use but I don’t have anything to compare it to since it’s the only hitch I’ve used.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
I never owned a hensley, but I have owned three trailers, starting with a 19' funfinder, a 29' funfinder, and now a 30' 2018 Airstream Bunk. I've pulled them with a ton of different vehicles (work for GM) but have always used the same Husky Centerline hitch. It's a beast, and rated up to 12,000lbs, but the hookup does both weight distribution and sway control and I've never felt uncomfortable on the road, even when being passed by semis traveling south down I-75 every year. So a hensley may be better, as I've never had one, but I can say I'm really happy with my husky, and would recommend them to anyone.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Nobody ‘needs’ a Hensley.
Weight distribution hitches and sway control are typically American because folks insist on going at breakneck speed towing with vehicles whose rear axle/suspension and weight is not suited to the hitch weight of their trailers.
In Germany for example trailers, just like semi trucks, have a speed limit of 80 km/h (ca. 50 mph).
Even here, when we picked up our current trailer, the sales person advised to stick to 55.

But what do I know. Whatever lights your candle.
Luftstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
At slower speeds things happen slower, more time to react, 55 MPH is a good thing.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
At slower speeds things happen slower, more time to react, 55 MPH is a good thing.
Yup. We’re on holiday, not on the run. Wanna see as much as possible of this gigantic and incredibly beautiful country of ours.
We spend too much of our lives rushing around like blue-assed flies, tongues dragging on the ground, fast food, fast internet, quick divorce, ... no time to enjoy anything like real cooked food with fresh ingredients, proper books and no tv and taking time to listen and understand our partner instead of dropping her like a hot potato first time we reach a little impasse.

But that’s just me/us.

Sorry OP for the slight digression.
Luftstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
No it isn’t. It’s incomplete.

There are 3 sets of axles in a TT/TV towing combo. The persistent posts of the echo chamber between you and OOS focus (near exclusively) on just one of those 3 axles; ignoring the system as a whole. That doesn’t make for a correct analysis.

Posts from either of your accounts on these forums should come with an asterisk and a safety warning.
Actually it’s everyone on this forum that’s ignoring the system as a whole.
The system as a whole has two basic modes of instability. Static instability is directly related to how the TW effects TV handling. Adding the TW to the TV reduces the understeer gradient, adding WD reduces it even more. Dynamic instability is determined by both TV and trailer characteristics.

Nearly everyone on this forum completely ignores the static mode of instability by returning all the weight lost on the front axle. People need to understand there is a ideal balance between the two modes and what improves one will make the other worse. If one actually took the time to study vehicle dynamics and learn how the system as a whole reacts they would see that this is fact and not my or OOS’s opinion.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Actually it’s everyone on this forum that’s ignoring the system as a whole.

Meaning - you two are the only ones who have it right and you’re on some religious crusade to convert heathens like myself? That’s about what it feels like in every thread you invade to spread your “gospel”.

Suggestion: start your own thread. If people want to engage in your view on the matter, they can opt in. Hijacking other people’s threads to bang your drum is annoyingly self-serving.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Quote:
Larry
For me while using the PP - complications are introduced when I have to adjust the trailer jack after disconnect in order to achieve "level" for camping. Failure to adjust the tongue height to about the same level as disconnected prior to hitching up again jambs things up, even if the jacks are left alone. But now with some experience - typically not a problem.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Meaning - you two are the only ones who have it right and you’re on some religious crusade to convert heathens like myself? That’s about what it feels like in every thread you invade to spread your “gospel”.

Suggestion: start your own thread. If people want to engage in your view on the matter, they can opt in. Hijacking other people’s threads to bang your drum is annoyingly self-serving.
The vehicle manufacturers have the same view as does the SAE. Many trailer types do tow well using this method and always have so it’s nothing new for many. It’s only RVers that insist you can’t tow without WD with sway control and it’s mainly because of the many poor designs the industry puts out. There’s plenty of room for improvement no doubt.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftstromer View Post
Nobody ‘needs’ a Hensley.
Weight distribution hitches and sway control are typically American because folks insist on going at breakneck speed towing with vehicles whose rear axle/suspension and weight is not suited to the hitch weight of their trailers.
In Germany for example trailers, just like semi trucks, have a speed limit of 80 km/h (ca. 50 mph).
Even here, when we picked up our current trailer, the sales person advised to stick to 55.

But what do I know. Whatever lights your candle.
You know you have a lower speed limit that you think should be applicable world wide.

It’s not and never will be. Therefore, your reply is irrelevant.
OutbackUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
All of California the speed limit for RV trailers is 55 mph. We pretty much stuck with that.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote