Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Do I need an electronic brake controller with new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Hi all,
We just bought a new tow vehicle - upgrading from a Toyota 4Runner V8 (which we are so sad we can't replace due to 4Runners no longer being offered with V*) to a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018 V8 Hemi. We tow a 2014 23d

When we bought our first airstream the airstream dealer installed the brake controller in the 4Runner. The Jeep dealer thought we may not need it because of the tow package offered with the Jeep - but there is a brake controller harness included in the vehicle.

What do you experts think? Do we need the brake controller in the vehicle? It always bumped my leg so I'd love to not include it if we don't need it - but would get past that if you all think it isn't safe to go without.
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Hi LoisLane,
I have the exact same tow vehicle and trailer model as you. Car dealers, by and large, do not understand the needs of the towing world. It’s not their everyday work.

Our dealer (Colonial AS), installed and tuned the brake controller just above the gas pedal. Your leg should not come close to it at all.

Use the trailer’s brakes. They are installed for a reason. Don’t just rely on the Jeep’s brakes.

Enjoy the ride!

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Check your state regulations I'm sure you are required by law to have one.

Safety dictates yep you need it!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
“Tow package” usually covers things like transmission cooler, upgraded radiator, brake controller harness, maybe mirrors and some other things, but usually not a brake controller in my experience. You definitely need it. Jeep salesman probably never towed anything ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
A number of pickups come with a built-in brake controller, but, if your 2018 Grand Cherokee is like our 2016, it has some sway control software, but no brake controller. As the others have said, you need a controller. The salesman is wrong.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, you need a brake controller. Either add-on or built in.
Otherwise when you touch the brake, the trailer wheels will lock up.
The controller sends a proportional amount of voltage to the trailer brakes.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Oliver , British Columbia
We tow our FC20 with a 2018 Jeep GC. Installing a brake controller was a bit of a challenge. Our GC has an airbag located below the steering wheel. The typical install location for the brake controller above the pedals put it in line with the airbag. If due to an unfortunate incident the airbag deploys I did not want the brake controller becoming part of my lower body. After much research I found four options. 1. install in typical location and not worry about air bag. 2. Use a brake controller like the Tekonsha prodigy with remote hand held unit. Keep hand held unit on console. 3. Install built in unit like the Redarc TOW-PRO ELITE V2. This was a pricey option 4. Modify the mount for the Prodigy P3 I already owned. I went with option 4 and modified a windshield mount for the brake controller. It is now easy to get at and easy to see. After towing across Canada this summer from BC to NL it worked great and did not obstruct my vision while driving. The other bonus is I can easily remove the controller when not towing. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	335866  
Old 03-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Bluetooth brake controller option

Another option is a Bluetooth brake controller, no wiring required. This product received an award for one of the best trailering innovations recently. It is controlled by a simple app on your smart phone (required). The simple 7 plug Bluetooth receptacle plugs directly into your TV 7 plug receptacle and the AS trailer plug connects to Bluetooth receptacle. Simple and straight forward. In the event your phone battery dies, don't worry, the last settings remained programmed.

Mercedes have no brake controller harness or jacks under dashboard like many US domestic vehicles. My Sprinter van has a hard-wired brake controller which was a pain to install (required removing seat and digging into wiring) and required significant diagnostic time I don't want to ever repeat. The hardwired controller is in the way entering & leaving the vehicle.

I have an additional Mercedes GLE TV and did not want to go through that issue a second time and learned about the Curt Blue-tooth device option. Now wish I have never gone the hard wire route. The Curt allows multiple trailer connections too (I have other trailers). One device, multiple trailers & TV's. This was the way to go for me.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C51180.ht...el=GLE-Class#/

Best of luck!
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Check out U Haul.I tow my AS Sport 16 with a Mazda CX 9 2018 that came without a harness tow package and U Haul installed the 7 pin connector and electric brake controller for $400 with a 2 yr warrantee. Since you have the brake controller harness your cost should be quite a bit less than what I paid.BTW my AS dealer said that was a good deal I got from U Haul.Congrats on your TV.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Get a brake controller. Most states require them for trailers over a certain GW. Save the strain and wear on your tow vehicle. Not only do you need to pull but you need to stop.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Yes you need it. Not only do you need the trailer to help in stopping, you need the trailer to slow down and stop behind you. I just hate it when, during an emergency stop, your trailer comes up along side and pulls you around backwards into the ditch or oncoming traffic.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I had a V8 4Runner that I really enjoyed too. Agreed that it's too bad they don't offer the V8 in that model any longer.

Look into the Redarc tow pro brake controller. Great modern and well reviewed choice. The brain is hidden, and the compact controller can fit in most switch blanks or anywhere on the dash. So nothing large and substantial to get in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/REDARC-EBRH-A...26553662&psc=1

A great alternative to the 4Runner, or 120-series Prado as it's also known as in the rest of the world, is the Lexus GX if you ever were to look for a V8 4Runner again.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
yes; even newer vehicles with tow packages often need one

we have a Tekonsha prodigy p3
ensure that you get someone to set it up. first dealer did not do it well

we got Andy at CANAM london , ON to do it and it works like a charm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tekonsha Prodigy p3-in Q5-a.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	335899  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Hi all,
We just bought a new tow vehicle - upgrading from a Toyota 4Runner V8 (which we are so sad we can't replace due to 4Runners no longer being offered with V*) to a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018 V8 Hemi. We tow a 2014 23d

When we bought our first airstream the airstream dealer installed the brake controller in the 4Runner. The Jeep dealer thought we may not need it because of the tow package offered with the Jeep - but there is a brake controller harness included in the vehicle.

What do you experts think? Do we need the brake controller in the vehicle? It always bumped my leg so I'd love to not include it if we don't need it - but would get past that if you all think it isn't safe to go without.
Safety first, you should have it, especially when your rig is pushing you down a fair incline and you are trying to maintain a controllable speed. Set properly it will save the brake rotors on the new Jeep as well.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1934 View Post
Check out U Haul.I tow my AS Sport 16 with a Mazda CX 9 2018 that came without a harness tow package and U Haul installed the 7 pin connector and electric brake controller for $400 with a 2 yr warrantee. Since you have the brake controller harness your cost should be quite a bit less than what I paid.BTW my AS dealer said that was a good deal I got from U Haul.Congrats on your TV.
Thanks Ron - that's a great idea - I'll try them - our airstream dealer isn't close!
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #16

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I tow with a 2018 Grand Cherokee and would only do so with a brake controller. I don’t think you would feel safe without it.
Dtjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As far as i know every state requires trailer brakes on trailers as heavy as an AS. No brakes without a controller! This is basic towing info, the dealer should have known or told you he did not know. Misinformation is dangerous.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
The "only" answer to that question is "YES, you require a brake controller"
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have a 2017 Jeep GC, and definitely use my brake controller. I set it so that Jeep and trailer stop evenly, ie both doing the work. Can feel it if it is out of sync and the Jeep does the stopping. Have to retune it occasionally. So yes, it is necessary.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do I need an electronic brake controller with new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

And, as we have seen far too many times around the forums, depending on a dealer to know what they are talking about (or not talking about) can be hazardous.

Just points out the fact that you have to do your own research and gain full knowledge about your vehicle, towing setup and other subjects. You are generally in the best spot to have full knowledge, nay specialize in what you are driving and towing.

Dealers are usually best at selling stuff. I seriously doubt they even try to be experts on anything else. At least that’s my experience. Do your own “due diligence” research first.

Then you are ‘armed’ with knowledge, and in a better position to know what’s real and true. It takes effort, but it’s vital to being an “informed consumer” rather than a victim...or, as I cynically put it, “lawful prey”.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote