Old 05-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
.....you should have three CAT weights.

TV alone, TV & AS no wd, TV & AS with WD set. Fully loaded with all gear, fuel & peep's.
Get an accurate read on your loaded TW, you will be surprised.
As noted...A/B's = level, not much more...if your rear end droop's when hitched a properly set WD should un-droop-it.

When done the rig should be level, 1"-2" tongue low is my limit, never tongue high.

As you can see from my tickets I'm 100# light on the steering axle with WD set and a level rig. I have towed with the 100# restored with no improvement in drivability.

Bob
🇱🇷
Bob,

I assume you saw my weight tickets in my initial post. I didn't weigh with the trailer and no WD, but the tickets I do have show me that the trailer without water or contents is 3,980 with a tongue weight of 500#. I did a lot of measuring (height of front and rear wheel wells, the rub rail on the AS) and I'm close to recommendations.

We're taking the AS out for the first (short) trip next Tuesday so I plan on weighing with full tanks, my wife and gear. We're just starting so won't have the gear that we will probably grow into, but at least it will show me where I'm starting out. I'm anxious to weigh and measure the height of wheel wells as we load it up.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by LY007 View Post
Very nice work on the weight measurements and subsequent calculations!

When traveling on the interstate highways, I see a lot of people pulling uhaul trailers. They never have WD setups, none have done any weighing, and I assume that the drivers generally haven't much towing experience. Yet almost all of them manage to get there safely. I asked the local uhaul manager how often he torques the lug nuts and checks the air pressure. He said he has never checked the torque, and checks the air pressure once a month. Remarkable.
Thanks, Steve. And yeah, there's some pretty scary stuff out there; I''m trying not to add to it.

marter is offline   Reply With Quote