Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?

What do think?

I just bought a 1974 Argosy 26. I am pretty sure it weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 4000lbs. I will be towing it with a long bed crew cab f350. I have towed much more weight than this without a weight distributing hitch, but not a travel trailer. I am pretty sure I'll be fine.

Thanks for the input.
Peter Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Weigh distribution hitches can also offer some sway control, that's good thing in gusting side wind, semi traffic, a little too much speed, unbalanced trailer, and downhill curves when these conditions come together.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
WD might not be needed but I recommend sway control. I use no WD on my one ton and pull a 30 Avion. But I do use two sway control devises.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there - first - welcome to the forums and congrats on your new-to-you Argosy!

What do *I* think?

I think a 4000# trailer putting 4-600# on the tail of a 350 probably isn't going to do much to your truck's front end. I'm not sure WD is a big challenge here (but, I'm not a professional trucker so take this with a grain of salt).

I think sway control is a must in any configuration and many WD hitches also include some sway reaction or prevention capability.

Since that's the case, you might want to look in to a decent integrated WD/sway control device. Lots of options. Lots of opinions, all (including mine) worth every penny you paid for it 😀

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I think.....

......you NEED sway control and WD wouldn't hurt either.

Bob
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Weight distribution and sway control will make your rig safer and easier to handle.

Could you "get away" with not having them?

Probably.

What do you figure your life and the lives of your loved ones are worth, if WD and SC might help get you out of a jam some day?

Good luck!

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
Ok, so since you all want me to be safe, I guess I need to buy a hitch with sway control. It looks like most hitches are combo WD and sway control. I have a 2" receiver and need a 2 5/16" ball. Do you have any recommendations for a hitch? I would like to be able to back up without taking the sway control off.

You guys rule. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Oh, that's a religious subject, for sure!
We have Equilizer - have used it for 20 years with multiple trailers and love it. There WILL be other opinions!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do I need a weight distributing hitch?

Oh absolutely. I use a ProPride, which is a Hensley design.

Probably really is massive overkill on my 22' International, with a long bed crew cab Tacoma, but what the hey, I can adjust it easily, it never sways, and I can back it easily.

Lack of white knuckles and need to be depending on quick reflexes I no longer have was what sold it. A couple tire-burning panic stops in Phoenix confirmed the hole in the wallet was worth it.

Straight stop and go is priceless.

Bottom line is make a decision YOU are comfortable with.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Dual rear wheels... No
Single rw... Yes
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Didn't we just go through this a week or two ago?��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
I towed for many years and many thousands of miles without WD or sway control... until one day as I was happily towing a travel trailer the combination of all the elements: downhill brake application, strong crosswind, 18 wheeler passing me at a high-speed differential, probably weight distribution issues native to the trailer, and who knows what else put the trailer ahead of the towing vehicle and totaled both trailer and tow vehicle. I walked away, but had the trailer taken me left instead of right, a funeral would have been in order.

I did a LOT of research and determined that in my case, Sierra 2500 & AS 27' Eddie Bauer, an Equalizer hitch was the optimal solution. If I had a lighter & shorter TV then I would have gone for the ProPride or Hensley. I have since been in unexpected road situations at highway speeds when I had to maneuver suddenly to avoid a collision in a downhill, braking, crosswind condition. The trailer tracked like a dream with absolutely no sway.

It was only after installing the Equalizer that I realized that in extreme situations when pulling I HAD encountered some small sway action historically. I had pulled so many miles that I had just gotten used to the slight corrective action I had to take with the wheel to the point that I was unaware it was happening.

Having a good WD/sway control hitch given the rig you are describing is like that second hydraulic braking system on your truck. You may have never needed it, but if the day comes when you do, there will be no substitute. I flew helicopters for a long time and never used the Sprague clutch that uncouples the rotor from the transmission in the event of an engine failure, but once! When that "once" happened it was the difference between a crisis and a catastrophe. If you are pulling a travel trailer that is not a 5th wheel hitch rig, then there will be conditions that will result in an out-of-control situation unless you are using one of the sophisticated hitches.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Weight distribution and sway control will make your rig safer and easier to handle.

Could you "get away" with not having them?

Probably.

What do you figure your life and the lives of your loved ones are worth, if WD and SC might help get you out of a jam some day?

Good luck!

Peter

What he said!!
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Our Eqializer is the same basic design as my first one in the mid 70s. Won't leave home without it
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Not necessarily
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
One more question. I can pick up an almost new Equalizer hitch 10,000lbs/1,000lb for $385. Is that a good deal and will it work for my application?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Dana Point , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Didn't we just go through this a week or two ago?��
I didn't own an Airstream two weeks ago,

BTW aren't Canadians supposed to be nice?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
Receiver hitch with sway control.
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...FUuSfgodYkIBxg
dalecamp` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Culp View Post
What do think?

I just bought a 1974 Argosy 26. I am pretty sure it weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 4000lbs. I will be towing it with a long bed crew cab f350. I have towed much more weight than this without a weight distributing hitch, but not a travel trailer. I am pretty sure I'll be fine.

Thanks for the input.
Hi Peter, from a fellow vintage kin OCer,

We've been renting 3/4 ton Fords/Dodge-RAM from Enterprise Commercial Rentals up here in Orange for a few years, until we decided to get our own TV & while we are looking, with our 1960 Avion T20 - which is probably a bit lighter than yours.

I got a Hensley Cub for the sway control/elimination & ease of use, because of our narrow driveway & streets up here in Old Towne Orange, we knew we would ultimately get a smaller, lighter & shorter wheelbase mid-size SUV with V8 (& had rented Nissan Pathfinders in 2013 from Hooman Nissan in Long Beach, but 4.0L V6).

So with a 3/4 vs. 1 ton truck & 3000-3500 vs 4000-5000 trailer - it's a decent comparison, & I don't see much difference with the trailer hitched as far as the WD goes (in fact I get the same mpg hitched or not!), but the sway control is a definite plus for cruising. As we are with 3/4T - you're seriously over-TVed with the 1T, but it's already in your stable.

I don't know what year your F350 is nor if it has their electronic sway control built in, but if it does, then that should cover you on SC, based on my experience bringing our Avion from Albuquerque with a F150 that had the Ford built-in SC/Tow package on a "bare ball."

Now "on a completely different subject" - you may want to see if you can get in on the waiting list with your "new" vintage AS for the upcoming "Ride the Wild Surf" vintage trailer rally right here in OC (or at least come up for the Saturday public open house to visit with other vintage trailer folk).

http://www.vintagetrailercamp.com/ev...the-wild-surf/

PS - I just saw your Equalizer question, & yes it would work, but their sway control is 2 optional friction units L & R of the hitch unit, which you can buy from Equalizer, if that hitch doesn't have them already. I don't know their current pricing to compare it with the used price, but you can check at eTrailer.com for their pricing, but note that there are always sales - so deduct at least 20-30% off full retail for your comparo use.

PSS - if you plan to & want to check out the vintage trailer rally scene, this one in Sept/Oct in OC is a good way to see, as they're all so popular that it generally means signing up several months to a year ahead, but then you'll get a significant discount off the "normal" RV Park/Campground fees, have lots of vintage trailerites activities, & will be camping with the friends you make at the events (vs. camping at campgrounds with folks you don't know).

PSSS - Look us up if you make it, & we'll introduce you around to some of our vintage buddies, one of whom make DW hotdogs for all comers at this one, so bring the family! It's also a classic car/truck show with the old TVs many use as well.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote