Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Submariner,

You do not need weight distribution with a rig as heavy as yours'.

Often, folks confuse weight distribution with anti-sway. And on some hitches, they are one and the same (like the Equal-I-Zer that I use, or the Reese Dual Cam that is also highly recommended).

Inland Andy has gone over this in the past, but basically you are talking two different issues. If you have a heavy tow vehicle, like you do, you don't need the weight distribution. But, the anti-sway is always beneficial. You have to bend the bars a certain amount before they are actually of any benefit for sway. So, if you have a heavy tow vehicle, you want to use light bars, so that you bend them enough to be effective in sway control. You don't need them for weight distribution. Conversely, if you have a light tow vehicle, you would want to use heavier bars so that you transfer more weight and raise the back of the tow vehicle back up to level.

In your case, use 600lb bars if you have an Equal-I-Zer or Reese Dual Cam. I should be similar with any other hitch out there, but these are the two that I have personal experience with.

Also, make sure the trailer is loaded properly so that the CG is 10-15% minimum ahead of the the CL of the axles. Do that, and it will tow on the ball pretty well.

See ya on the road,

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Thanks Big Al

maybe i do hit the Cat Scales one day.. just to see hw the distribution front to back is.
when i went last time across the scales at a scrap yard, i came in empty at 8300 with just my truck and both fuel tanks at 1/4 so i know , loaded i will be heavier than my trailer :-)

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Thanks Jim.. I agree on the sway bar.. i have been using a weight distribution hitch coupler , but only with the additional sway bar and no distribution bars. if i ever decide to go with the air-safe, i know they make the ball adapter with the sway bar only..

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
You Must use the WD hitch.
If it's an Airstream you are pulling - even a Bambi that has been gutted completely and you are pulling it with an Army surplus deuce and a half, you must use the wd.
Wink
Now wait a minute, I towed our Bambi 16' to Florida and back behind a Honda Pilot without, wait for itů a WD hitch. And I lived to tell about itů
Wink
Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
Now wait a minute, I towed our Bambi 16' to Florida and back behind a Honda Pilot without, wait for itů a WD hitch. And I lived to tell about itů
Wink
I also towed a lot before experiencing the handling of a ProPride/HaHa. Still do some loads. But the doggone thing works.

I had been quite fortunate in my many many miles to have survived in spite of my lack of skill...and pure abandonment of reason/machismo..

But that's only me.
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
can someone explain why exactly i would need a WD Hitch ?

thanks
I doubt anyone will be able to make a case for a WD hitch with your rig. The overall weight of the TV, the dual rear wheel and it's wheel base cover the normal needs of a WD hitch.

The only thing that might come into question would be sway control and even that is doubtful.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Any travel trailer can use sway control. The rear tire contact patch on the TV isn't ever enough not to benefit by its use.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Firm believer in sway control, not so much on WD for some setups.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #23
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I can understand the benefits of WD. If it is so effective at improving your safety margin, why isn't it mandatory? Does your insurance carrier give a discount for using one?
WD is used to COMPENSATE for suspension loading on the TV and it's corresponding effect on center of gravity. With that said, if you have a large drop in ride height at hook-up, something is WRONG with trailer load out or a TV suspension inadequacy.

I have noticed that about less than half of TT trailers driving central Arkansas use some form of WD. The majority of those with WD are upper end rigs. I have seen 3 AS's in the last month that didn't have WD. All of those operators had big grins.

If it offers peace of mind, use it.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I can understand the benefits of WD. If it is so effective at improving your safety margin, why isn't it mandatory? Does your insurance carrier give a discount for using one?
WD is used to COMPENSATE for suspension loading on the TV and it's corresponding effect on center of gravity. With that said, if you have a large drop in ride height at hook-up, something is WRONG with trailer load out or a TV suspension inadequacy.

I have noticed that about less than half of TT trailers driving central Arkansas use some form of WD. The majority of those with WD are upper end rigs. I have seen 3 AS's in the last month that didn't have WD. All of those operators had big grins.

If it offers peace of mind, use it.
Good points. Manufactuers of some smaller vehicles, like our 2015 Honda Pilot, caution about using a WD hitch. In the owners manual, Honda provides an acceptable range of rearend drop based on the tongue weight of the trailer to its maximum 450 pound rating. I found that the 350 pound weight of my small Airstream closely matches the drop rating without the WD. The problem with WD on the Pilot has to do with incorrectly putting too much weight on the front axles, I believe. I was told by the Airstream dealer, a Honda dealer and a high-end hitch shop that WD and antisway are not necessary or desirable with my configuration. As a practical matter, I have never experienced sway, even going down hill and being passed by a speeding semi.

That said, I can see where WD/sway are desirable on longer and heavier trailers. We towed a 32' SOB all over the country with a full sized van and later a Jeep GC V8. Even with a WD hitch and anti-sway device, passing trucks could be felt.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
i try to keep the "KISS" concept when ever possible.( keep it simple stupid),.

Since I have seen more WD hitches set up so wrong,, the dangers I saw was worst than if they just pulled from a ball. If you need it then use it.. If your TV does not care I sure would not worry about it. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
RGeezer check the GM owners manual as suggested. Take a trip to the CAT scales and search the forum for Ron Gratz's how to weigh your rig and search for my posts where I have a spreadsheet you can fill in following Ron's math.
ProPride
NěVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
I own and love that truck. My 2014 27FB Int. has nearly identical specs. My Reese WD hitch has 1000# bars. My experience transitioning from 1500 Silverado to 2500HD is not as much tensioning is required to dampen pitching over bumps. I have experienced severe pitching without the bars on short pulls to my local storage.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Do you know anyone in New Jersey that can install a WD system on my new 23D? I'm towing with a VW Touareg.