Old 02-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Towing a trailer, adds considerable stress to the transmission.

Most vehicles today, have a transmission cooler, but only for that weight.

Adding a few thousands pounds to move, will indeed, heat up the transmission moreso.

As alway, be safe, add another cooler. It won't hurt anything, but it's rewards are many.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do I need a transmission cooler?

When traveling thru the Mojave desert last June the temp was pushing 120 degrees. The stock transmission cooler on my Tundra did a great job when towing our 25' SOB. It has much more wind drag than our 26' Argosy. The Tundra has a temp gauge for the transmission. The needle never moved above the normal operating temp.
The tow package equipment on the vehicle you choose should work just fine as long as you don't exceed the capacities of the TV.
I agree with J Morgan. Don't modify the stock system.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Tran cooler

I have an 03 2500 duramax and have pulled at least 100,ooo mi with a lot of it in hills and mountains. The cooler on your rig is good. Your trailer wt is actually below needing the tow Hall mode on. Having said that I run tow haul anyway. Helps with braking by down shifting and is a lot less strain on the trans going up thru the gears.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
The number one killer of automatic transmissions is heat. (Well, I think heat is #2...... The nut behind the wheel is probably #1...)

As cheap insurance, and especially if I was planning a trip through some known brutal heat areas and heat causers, you can bet I'd want an additional measure of transmission cooling.

That is why I added a TruCool Max cooler to my 1995 F250.

It was a snap to install, and on my truck it just happened to mount nicely behind the openings in the front bumper. Gets a lot of airflow, doesn't block any airflow to the radiator/AC condenser. I will eventually add some 12v muffin fans that I have. I'd like to be able to switch them on as circumstances arise.

1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
As has been noted above, what kills transmissions isn't the load, but the heat.

Heat is a result of the torque converter doing what it was designed to do (slip), and shifting, especially repeated shifting.

If you are on the highway, with the torque converter in lock up, ie at steady state but working, a heavier load puts no more heat into the transmission than a lighter load. If that heavier load causes the transmission torque converter to not lock up (ie slip continually) or the transmission to hunt between gears (ie shift continually) then that is when you get excess heat.

A temperature gauge can alert you to the temperature being high, but being in tune with your own vehicle and knowing what it is doing at any point in time will alert you to the transmission either shifting continually, or not holding a steady rpm relative to road speed (ie not in torque converter lockup).

Agree with the posts above that aftermarket hoses and fittings are frequent points of failure, and all the good brought about by additional fluid cooling can be undone and then some, by aftermarket components and workmanship that results in leaks/abraded lines, etc.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Trans coiled

I talked with my fleet service guy before about adding cooler. Reply was. "If it ain't broke don't fool with it" now that was his reply about the duramax Allison combo. He said also that if tuners were used on it to carefully watch temps. Increased power and strain changes every thing. He has had more prob with all brands due to tuners. Engine power can be increased to the point that the trans without mods cannot keep up. But in his opinion the factory on HD diesel rigs and most gas are more than adequate. Does recommend a temp gauge always. I trust this guy . he's good enough to have the Fed ex and ups service in our area.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And Joel's guy is exactly right. Andy's statement above is only correct for vehicles which are hauling more than the factory recommended gcwr.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We use these on Airboats!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If you don't have synthetic fluids in trans,diffs, and transfer case as well as engine change to it. Take the truck to a good trans shop and get the filters changed and fluids changed before your trip. Make sure the trans cooler is not plugged with debris on the outside. Had mine covered in mud once, and did not cool well. The Duramax will pull your rig with no problem. Use the Tow/Haul mode to help on hills, and you will not even know the trailer is there. Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
A transmission cooler is needed, but the factory cooler should get the job done. The other very important factor is whether or not your transmission fluid needs changing at this time.
It really depends on the type and location of the factory cooler. Transmission coolers that are technically a tank emmersed within the radiator can never cool the fluid below the temerature of the water. Coolers that are external of the radiator will do a better job of keeping temperatures lower.

The towing package option that came with my GMC van has an external cooler that is mounted in front of the radiator. All my tow vehicles I have ever used have had external coolers. If they had a tank cooler inside the radiator, I added an external. I never had an external cooler or its connecting hoses fail In all my years of towing. I've also never had a transmission failure in any tow vehicle. As noted regular fluid changes are important in keeping your transmission trouble free.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins came with all the towing options.

We added temperature sensors to the transmission and both differential covers. Both differential covers were replaced with larger capacity covers with cooling fins. We installed a temperature probe for the EGT in the exhaust manifold. The Edge Insight digital gage displays EGT, inches of boost, fuel rail pressure, transmission oil temperature and rear differential oil temperature. Engine water temperature, rate of battery charge and oil pressure are displayed by the stock analog displays.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The factory has installed all the coolers you need, you could spend thousands to make it better,but you end up at square one, I have been towing travel trailers since 1967 and have never ruined a transmission or rear end, my last big truck had 1.4 million miles and never had the head off ,still has the original turbo, and it stayed the way it came from the factory, good driving habits and good maintence will go a long way....

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote